My Grand Social Experiment - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My Grand Social Experiment

A right not exercised is in the end just a right lost. Look at what happened in CA.

3. Quote Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
    I've never worried about what what other people think. I honestly don't give a rat's terminal excretal passage about their level of discomfort. If someone wants to carry concealed, that's fine with me, and I don't even care about their reason for doing so. I merely expect and demand the same consideration.
    AMEN, Brother, preach it! +1,000!

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    A right not exercised is in the end just a right lost. Look at what happened in CA.
    But, wait.... other members here say it is BECAUSE they exercised their rights in California that they lost them....you know, those open carry guys who insisted on carrying their guns the way that the law allowed, knowing full well that the government would ban it if they dared to do it. Of course, they had every right to do it, but as soon as they exercised the rights they had, the government shut it down. So, isn't the way to actually keep your "rights" is to not exercise them so the government will let you keep them?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    She also gives me grief when I carry around the house. We do live in a very peaceful low crime area but there is no such thing as NO crime. I also carry around the house to get used to carrying.
    I kind of had a similiar situation with my lady. We live in a rural area with almost no crime and no problems. Then in the last 45 days 2 small town banks within 15 miles of us got robbed and there has been a rabies outbreak. I've been gone, got 3 frantic calls, and had to rush home and shoot 2 rabid raccoons and a rabid skunk. I don't think I'll hear anything but positive support about my guns ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    AMEN, Brother, preach it! +1,000!

But, wait.... other members here say it is BECAUSE they exercised their rights in California that they lost them....you know, those open carry guys who insisted on carrying their guns the way that the law allowed, knowing full well that the government would ban it if they dared to do it. Of course, they had every right to do it, but as soon as they exercised the rights they had, the government shut it down. So, isn't the way to actually keep your "rights" is to not exercise them so the government will let you keep them?
    Haha, you could look at it that way, but what is the practical result?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldekard View Post
    I kind of had a similiar situation with my lady. We live in a rural area with almost no crime and no problems. Then in the last 45 days 2 small town banks within 15 miles of us got robbed and there has been a rabies outbreak. I've been gone, got 3 frantic calls, and had to rush home and shoot 2 rabid raccoons and a rabid skunk. I don't think I'll hear anything but positive support about my guns ever again!
    Funny how that works, isn't it?
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

I finally had what could be descried as a negative comment about my open carrying. I was in a restaurant in Fallon NV having breakfast and one of the workers asked me if I was a cop. I told him I wasn't. He just commented that he thought only cops should be allowed to carry a gun. He wasn't belligerent or scowling, but he was obviously an anti gunner. I pointed out that 30 miles from where we were, a gunman walked into an IHOP and shot a whole bunch of people that he didn't even know. I said that that same guy could have just as easily chose this restaurant. What do you think would happen if he had chosen this time and place instead of the IHOP? What would you think about my gun then? He just walked away.

Now just a couple of nights ago I stopped in a Quizno's and ordered my favorite sandwich. While I was eating a uniformed LEO walked in the door, followed by his wife and small son. After a couple of minutes he and I made eye contact and I said "Hey, how ya doin?" "Just fine" he said and went back to his family. A few minutes later he asked me "What do you do". "I cut firewood" I said. He asked why I carry. I told him that I'm seriously disabled and frequently carry a large amount of cash. He said that that's as good a reason as they get. He actually had the nerve to tell me that he wished more people would carry and he spends a lot of time encouraging people to do just that. THE NERVE!!!!!! Good cop.

8. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    Good cop.
    Did you offer to buy him a doughnut? :-)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

So I went to grab some lunch at the food court at Meadow Wood Mall here in Reno the other day. I ordered and sat down to eat. After about 10 minutes a very nice lady from security appeared and very politely explained that the gun was a no-no. She asked me to put the gun in my car and offered to stand guard over my lunch until I got back. I showed her the pair of walking casts I have for shoes and explained that it's difficult for me to walk. I asked that since it was obvious that I'm not a nut, would it be ok for me to finish my meal quickly and then just leave. She checked and said it would be ok. A few minutes later she was back and told me they head of security said I had to leave. She went and got me a doggie bag and I loaded up and started walking out. Again, she was very nice, very professional and very apologetic. I did explain that NV law requires a business that wants to prohibit people from lawfully carrying they have to post that on the door. She said it was. I had actually looked and didn't see it though. As soon as I got out the door I got a phone call. My hands were full so I set some stuff down so I could answer the phone. While I was on the phone I was approached by a man in plain clothes, but I could tell he was the head honcho. I got off the phone and he told me that I must leave the property right now. I splained that I was in the process of doing that, but that I just had to take the call. This guy wasn't so nice and polite, but I certainly was. I told him that I was in the process of doing that, but got hung up with the call. "You need to leave now". So I said sure, I didn't have a problem and I would have done it just to be polite, but, he should know that Nevada Statutes require very specific language posted on every door if they intend to prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying on their property. He told me they have it posted on the inside. I told him that I wasn't trying to be confrontational, obstinate or in any way a problem, but they should know that if they want to prohibit people from carrying, the sign they have is not in compliance and that they legally can't stop anyone from carrying (if the gun owner wanted to push the point). "Again, I'm not trying to appear in any way that I won't respect your wishes, but if the mall wants to keep guns out, their current sign wasn't legally sufficient". I told him I had looked for the sign when I came in and only entered because it wasn't there. He clearly didn't appreciate it. Oh well, I do what I can. What I won't be doing again though is going to that mall. Their security isn't armed. What are they going to do if a nut came in shooting. I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with my taking responsibility for my personal defense that an unarmed mall cop who will be happy to take a report if somebody decides to shoot me.

I had to have some work done on my brakes at the local Les Schwab and went over to the BK across the street for some lunch and to kill some time. After a while a lady and her husband sat down at the table next to me. He was clearly a local LEO, though not in a regular uniform. He did have a shirt with a badge though so I suspect he may have been either a supervisor or detective. I got up to get a refill on my soda and he noticed my gun. He asked if I'm in a high risk job. Not really, just handicapped and I do, on occasion, carry large amounts of cash. We started talking about OC and how much he prefers law abiding citizens to be armed. His position was that crime rates drop when good guys with guns are around. Nice guy. Nice wife too. I was mentioning about how I want my wife to start carrying. They both enthusiastically support the idea.

That's the second cop I've had lunch with and I have to say, I'm impressed with their attitude that all of us are better off when good guys have guns.

11. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    I did explain that NV law requires a business that wants to prohibit people from lawfully carrying they have to post that on the door. So I said sure, I didn't have a problem and I would have done it just to be polite, but, he should know that Nevada Statutes require very specific language posted on every door if they intend to prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying on their property. but they should know that if they want to prohibit people from carrying, the sign they have is not in compliance and that they legally can't stop anyone from carrying (if the gun owner wanted to push the point). "Again, I'm not trying to appear in any way that I won't respect your wishes, but if the mall wants to keep guns out, their current sign wasn't legally sufficient".
    Respectfully, you might want to research your Nevada statutes because you are mistaken regarding the requirements for signage.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast