My Grand Social Experiment - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: My Grand Social Experiment

Respectfully, I'm not.

NRS 202.3673 3.(b): A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

Additionally, the cop I had lunch with the next day also told me that their sign was not sufficient. However, it's still rude of the gun carrier to not respect the wishes of the property owner. I fully expect that even if the sign isn't posted in total compliance with the statute, any leo called to the scene will be pretty insistent that the gun carrier leave. IMO, it's not unreasonable to just leave rather than start an incident. My option is to not patronize the property until they change their policy.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    One of the BIGGEST lies is how the media portrays people who carry guns, particulary open carriers as 'wild west gun-slingers' who will cause the streets of America to 'run with the blood of innocents'. When I hear that garbage I feel like getting my hip waders on. Also on my list of garbage is how some(not all) cops look at open carry when they state that they will confront open carriers and force them to 'kiss the ground' while they check out the open carriers story and background. I know a couple of local cops where I live that have told me that if anybody EVER walks down the street in this town with a gun on their hip, NO MATTER HOW LEGAL IT IS, that person should expect to be kissing the ground. Hmmmmmmmmm, is something wrong with this picture? By the way this is not a CC vs OC post as I both OC and CC.
    I've not had that experience with my local LEO's. Quite the opposite in fact. Two times I've sat at a table next to an on duty LEO and both have THANKED me for openly carrying. The last guy was quite emphatic that OC is proven to lower violent crime rates. Granted, I don't live in Commiefornia or IL or NY, where the state is more concerned with protecting the criminal than the victim. Here in NV, we have our priorities straight, though I sure wish we would have allowed carrying on our college campuses.

Before I received my CCDW I would oc. The only leo encounter I had, was at a gas station. The state trooper took interest in my side arm, wanted to handle it and asked how I liked it. A positive experience for sure.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    Respectfully, I'm not.

NRS 202.3673 3.(b): A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.
    Respecfully, you are still mistaken because Meadow Wood Mall is not a public building. It is private property operated by a private corporation: Simon Malls. Read further down in the exact same statute you posted:

NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.

(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by:

(1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or

(2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.

If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.
    If the State of Nevada or the Federal government is occupying Meadow Wood Mall you've got bigger problems there than no guns signs.

What that means is if they don't want you on their private property with your gun, then they ask you to leave. You don't leave after being asked, you are guilty of trespassing. No signs required. However, even if there is a sign there, it is not illegal to carry past the sign, only illegal to stay there after they ask you leave. It's a trespassing issue, not a firearm issue.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Well, not according to the cop I had lunch with. He was quite emphatic that they have to post the verbiage, stature and all, on every door. What do I know? I do know that I was here when they were discussing the Right To Carry legislation and it was rather well reported that private businesses could prohibit people from carrying a gun if they posted it on the doors.

Either way, you're correct that they could ask me to leave and have me cited for trespassing if I refused. I'm also right, that it would have been rude of me not to respect their wish. I'll be the first to agree that an obstinate idiot spouting off about whatever, doesn't do the cause of getting the general public more comfortable or supportive of our carrying. I'm not a self appointed educator, but I certainly don't mind being a respectable member of the club.

7. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    Well, not according to the cop I had lunch with.
    One of the big three....that explains it. Cops, gun store employees, and CCW instructors.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

LOL Yabbut, his opinion is the only one I really care about. When you think about it, he'll be the one NOT taking me to jail and confiscating my gun.

But like I said earlier, it's just rude to not respect the wishes of a property owner that doesn't want a gun on their property. I respect that they have that right. I also have the right to not patronize the mall because they essentially offer no protection for me and won't let me provide it for myself.

9. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    LOL Yabbut, his opinion is the only one I really care about. When you think about it, he'll be the one NOT taking me to jail and confiscating my gun.
    I refuse to tailor my life around what a police officer's opinion is. His/her opinion carries no more weight with me than the kid who changes the oil in my car at Jiffy Lube. Statutes and laws are what will keep you from being illegally arrested and jailed and your gun from being illegally confiscated.

The fact is that there is no state that requires a business to post signs on their private property for them to ask you to leave because you are carrying a firearm, or for you to be guilty of trespass if you don't leave after being personally asked to leave by the owner/agent of the property.

There are some states that if the business posts the proper sign, it cause the mere act of carrying a firearm on their property to be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The fact is that there is no state that requires a business to post signs on their private property for them to ask you to leave because you are carrying a firearm, or for you to be guilty of trespass if you don't leave after being personally asked to leave by the owner/agent of the property.

There are some states that if the business posts the proper sign, it cause the mere act of carrying a firearm on their property to be illegal.
    Nevada is such a state, whether you think so or not, or whether I can find the statute or not. I'm not a cop or a lawyer. However, you can't get in trouble for carrying a gun in a store in Nevada if said store doesn't have the proper sign prohibiting it displayed on each point of entry. Gun laws are gun laws here. Trespassing laws are something entirely different. I don't put my gun at risk of seizure or me at risk of a misdemeanor if the store isn't properly signed.

But again, it would be just plain rude not to respect an establishment that doesn't want people carrying on their property. I might not agree with the and I may not patronize them while such a policy is in place, but I won't give them any grief on purpose.

11. Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    However, you can't get in trouble for carrying a gun in a store in Nevada if said store doesn't have the proper sign prohibiting it displayed on each point of entry. Gun laws are gun laws here.
    And, what I am trying to tell you, BuddhaKat is that you cannot get into trouble for carrying a gun in a store REGARDLESS OF WHAT SIGNS THEY POST! As you said, gun laws are gun laws. There is no statute in Nevada that grants authority to private property owners to make it illegal to carry a gun on their property by simply posting signs. Your initial statements of:

I did explain that NV law requires a business that wants to prohibit people from lawfully carrying they have to post that on the door. So I said sure, I didn't have a problem and I would have done it just to be polite, but, he should know that Nevada Statutes require very specific language posted on every door if they intend to prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying on their property. but they should know that if they want to prohibit people from carrying, the sign they have is not in compliance and that they legally can't stop anyone from carrying (if the gun owner wanted to push the point). "Again, I'm not trying to appear in any way that I won't respect your wishes, but if the mall wants to keep guns out, their current sign wasn't legally sufficient".
    only show your ignorance of Nevada gun laws regarding prohibiting firearms. In order for a business to prohibit firearms on their property, no signs are required, in any state. All that is required of the business to do is ask you to leave. In some states, if a business posts the property signs, it makes it automatically illegal for you to carry a firearm in the business. Nevada has no such law. There is no sign that a private business can post in Nevada to make it illegal to merely carry a firearm on their property, because there is no statute that grants private property owners that authority. They can still prohibit firearms, though. But violating their prohibition is only violating their company policy, not violating a statue, law or ordinance.

Trespassing laws are something entirely different.
    Exactly correct. And once the owner/agent of the property asks you to leave, in person, signs have nothing to do with it whatsoever. They can legally ask you to leave because you are wearing a gun on your belt, or wearing an orange shirt or wearing socks with sandals.

I don't put my gun at risk of seizure or me at risk of a misdemeanor if the store isn't properly signed.
    Interesting statement considering that there is no proper sign that a private business can post in Nevada to make carrying a firearm a misdemeanor.

But again, it would be just plain rude not to respect an establishment that doesn't want people carrying on their property. I might not agree with the and I may not patronize them while such a policy is in place, but I won't give them any grief on purpose.
    I agree. And I am not arguing that. But your discussion about signs with mall security was based upon you not knowing what is actually in (or not it) Nevada statutes.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast