Transporting Handguns into Illinois
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Handguns into Illinois

Blog Entries

Question Transporting Handguns into Illinois

i travel alot. i need to know how to legaly transport a handgun across the great state of illinois.
    dont worry, i dont want to live there.
    Last edited by lukem; 05-25-2012 at 04:36 PM.

3. I have my handguns in a hardsided case, unloaded with no ammo or magazines in the case. The case is locked and packed on one side in the back of my SUV. The ammo is in another case, usually my range bag and packed on the opposite side in the back of my SUV - maybe a little too much, but rather be safe.
    NRA Life Member
    1911-45, 9, 22, P229, P220, P228, PPQ, 38 spl

Go with what sig_man states. Boat anchored (locked up), unloaded, seperate from driver. If you do get pulled over they can not do anything if you follow those rules.

A few years ago a out of stater was arrested for having a firearm in his vehicle without a FOID card. The case went up the chain of courts and it came down that a carry/firearm permit from another state serves as the FOID card. The ruling was very good. Dont remeber what case it was though.

If you do get pulled over DO NOT show amy firearm identification unless asked. DO NOT volunteer any info about your firearms. Out of sight out of mind.

I live by the state line, and go to Bass Pro shops in IL alot. Before I cross the line , I put my firearm in a hidden compartment of my car. Yes I know that I should unload the gun but then again out of sight out of mind. "The Clinton" don't ask don't tell works for me.
    Unless you have your firearm on your side , just keep a low pofile and you will do just fine ,I have My family with me and I don't think that I fit the profile that they are looking for during a traffic stop.I just act just as if no fire arm is around?, I mean really folks do you think the bad guys think about this stuff . I' m sure B/G out there that can keep a cool head and walkaway from a LEO stop as long as he ea

Blog Entries
    frome bellyfat; i understand dont ask dont tell, but i realy would like to know the LEAGLE WAY. is having it locked in your trunk, unloaded a leagle way?
    and what about illeagle search 4th amendment rights?

I'm an Okie whin I travel in IL I separate my gun from the ammunition and lock in back of my SUV. An Okie friend of mine recently pulled over gave the HPO his CCP with his license. The HPO frowned and asked if he were carrying Drew replied he was and was asked to surrender his weapon. The HPO took the weapon to his vehicle and returned in a few minutes with an IL greeting (not sure if a traffic citation or warning)and the ammunition and weapon separated and asked Drew to secure in separate portions of the Vehicle. A very common sense solution. CUDOS to the HPO. I don't feel so lucky so first and last rest area before state line I separate and secure. When I fly (Private plane) through the state I never bring up the subject no one at the airports gets uptight about it.

8. The Illinois State Police offer a 2-page pamphlet on transporting firearms thru their state:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

They address additional cautions, such as Municipalities that prohibit handguns, that MAY affect where and how one can keep their handgun with them while in the state. Their FAQ makes it appear less draconian than many expect.

I recently transported my Ruger SR9C from Wisconsin to Missouri and had to go through IL for much of the trip. I researched it, and asked a few law enforcement people I knew that worked there. I unloaded and took the slide off and then stored it in my concealed carry fanny pack in a locked cabinet under the passenger seat. They said that more than meets their standards.

I know alot of people would just say to heck with their laws, but I just feel that since one of the arguements for concealed carry/handgun ownership (besides the 2nd amendment!) is that we are law-abiding citizens and can be trusted. Saying "I'm going to do it anyway" validates the arguement of the left that we are a bunch of "gun-toting vigilantes". This is particularly important for the people of Illinois who don't have this right. If people from out of state won't respect their state's laws, it will make the road for them much harder to get the laws changed to allow them their constitutional right.

Just a thought.

Drive around Ill(fated)nois
    Gun free zones are safe havens...........for criminals.
    Laws govern the lesser man, Morals govern the greater man.

Although I at one time booked a conference in Chi town that state among others will never make a dime off of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast