Iowa Open Carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Open Carry

Iowa just started conceal carry 1 yr to 1.5 years ago

This helps back up what I was saying... OC is legal in Iowa.
    Iowa | OpenCarry.org

4. Quote Originally Posted by rogerw View Post
    Iowa does not have open carry acording to this web site.

You were lucky

Iowa Gun Rights - An Overview of Gun Laws in Iowa
    and what statute makes it illegal? HINT: None.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. Iowa issues a permit to carry weapons open or concealed. ICA 724.4

yes it is legal to open carry in Iowa provided that you have a permit to carry weapons. Also, Iowa is not a constitutional carry state and does require you to provide your permit upon request of a law enforcement officer. I open carry quite a bit, but usually conceal in shopping areas!

Blog Entries
    Just out of curiosity what grocery store did you shop at?

Quote Originally Posted by rogerw View Post
    Iowa does not have open carry acording to this web site.

You were lucky

Iowa Gun Rights - An Overview of Gun Laws in Iowa
    Iowa Code 2003SUPPLEMENT: Chapter 724

724.4 Carrying weapons.

THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD READ THE LAWS...not ABOUT.COM.

Open carry = legal, if in a city you may need a permission slip to carry concealed or openly.

Laws don't make things legal, they make things illegal. There is no law that says I am allowed to eat, so does that make eating illegal?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Hy-Vee was the store!

9. As others have said, it's a PERMIT TO CARRY, whether you carry open or concealed is your choice. Also, the "no guns allowed" signs carry no true force of law, they are like no trespassing signs here. IF there was a sign, and you went in, concealed, and left, you didn't break any laws. IF your gun was seen, like it was, and someone reported you, and the manager asked you to leave and you did, you didn't break the law, IF the same as above, and you were asked to leave and didn't, they called the cops, and they asked you to leave and you didn't, THEN you broke the law. Yeah, it's stupid. But remember, at least we have this on our side, since most of these mass shootings seem to happen where a sign says NO GUNS ALLOWED. I usually won't shop in a place that has a sign, however our movie theaters have them, and not that we go often, but when we do, I always carry. Many reasons for this, not that I should have to explain, but the biggest is, our theater is 45 min away from our house, I wouldn't even consider going that far without having my weapon, then the thought of locking it up in a vehicle???? No, not that either, but the final reason is, for the very thought of what happened in a theater recently. I would rather be protecting myself with my weapon than a tub of popcorn.

I also find it hard to believe this whole story, given that everyone in Iowa knows it's called a permit to carry and NOT conceal carry license. For what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Iowa Code 2003SUPPLEMENT: Chapter 724

724.4 Carrying weapons.

THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD READ THE LAWS...not ABOUT.COM.

Open carry = legal, if in a city you may need a permission slip to carry concealed or openly.

Laws don't make things legal, they make things illegal. There is no law that says I am allowed to eat, so does that make eating illegal?

Time makes a difference.

“The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” -Mark Twain

Not anymore.

Let's be careful out there. You don't want to scare some little old lady into cardiac arrest. The anti-gun folks will chalk it up as a gun-related death.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast