Can I drive through states with a gun in my car? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Can I drive through states with a gun in my car?

  1. #11
    You won't have an issue although I would make sure I don't need to stop in Illinois. Gas up prior to state like, have a snack and head on through.
    “If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time.” ~ Randy Pausch

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedesj View Post
    I will be driving from Wisconsin to South Carolina in the near future. I do not have my conceal carry permits as of yet. Can I drive with my gun in the car as I am making this trek? If so what are the guidelines I need to follow? Are the specific to the state I am in?

    Thanks,

    Mike D.

    Typically no, unless you have those states permits. You will want to follow the federal transit and lock it up in the trunk.

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Illinois state law allows a person to drive through with an unloaded firearm in a locked case.
    What we are trying to convey is that the Chicago PD does not give a damn about the laws.

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    What we are trying to convey is that the Chicago PD does not give a damn about the laws.
    it is rare to find someone as obtuse and as dense as you are.

    go read the FOPA Law, as long as you follow it you can transport your weapons anywhere in the contiguous 48 with out fear of arrest.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    it is rare to find someone as obtuse and as dense as you are.

    go read the FOPA Law, as long as you follow it you can transport your weapons anywhere in the contiguous 48 with out fear of arrest.
    If you're so confident that it's not going to land you into trouble, by all means, be the test case.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    it is rare to find someone as obtuse and as dense as you are. go read the FOPA Law, as long as you follow it you can transport your weapons anywhere in the contiguous 48 with out fear of arrest.
    Respectfully, you are the one that is wrong on this one. FOPA provides for a Federal defense which can be used to overturn a state level conviction. FOPA provides no guarantee against arrest or conviction at the state level. Would I hesitate to travel through Illinois, New York or California with my firearms under the terms of FOPA? I would not hesitate at all. I also would never volunteer any information relating to firearms to LEO and would never consent to a search of the vehicle, and the firearms case with the guns and ammo would be locked with combination locks which the combination to would not be surrendered, ever.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Respectfully, you are the one that is wrong on this one. FOPA provides for a Federal defense which can be used to overturn a state level conviction. FOPA provides no guarantee against arrest or conviction at the state level. Would I hesitate to travel through Illinois, New York or California with my firearms under the terms of FOPA? I would not hesitate at all. I also would never volunteer any information relating to firearms to LEO and would never consent to a search of the vehicle, and the firearms case with the guns and ammo would be locked with combination locks which the combination to would not be surrendered, ever.
    any jurisdiction that attempted to arrest and try me for passing through while carrying firearms properly stowed as per FOPA would face a massive law suit. the law saws I shall be permitted to travel through anyplace without fear of arrest, if I were to be arrested that would be a false or improper arrest. I do understand the concept, you can beat the charge but you still have to go to jail, but if they pull that knowing full well that I am in full compliance it will cost them dearly.
    Like you noted I would not willingly give a cop any permission to search my vehicle, so an illegal search would be part of the equation.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    any jurisdiction that attempted to arrest and try me for passing through while carrying firearms properly stowed as per FOPA would face a massive law suit. the law saws I shall be permitted to travel through anyplace without fear of arrest, if I were to be arrested that would be a false or improper arrest. I do understand the concept, you can beat the charge but you still have to go to jail, but if they pull that knowing full well that I am in full compliance it will cost them dearly.
    Like you noted I would not willingly give a cop any permission to search my vehicle, so an illegal search would be part of the equation.
    And who says the cop will be on the level and respect your 4th amendment rights? Who says he's not all buddy buddy with the judge and DA? Chicago PD is just like the NYPD, their whole legal system is modeled right after New Jersey's! Search without consent, if he resists, claim you saw a gun and shoot him, charge him and wait for the feds to overturn it IF he survives. You need a wakeup call...where you been? Another question for you...who says that you make it to trial? Do you really trust these crooked cops with your safety in jail after they've locked you up for abiding by a law they don't like? They don't have to do jack! Laws are just rules written on paper, doesn't mean a thing to them.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Respectfully, you are the one that is wrong on this one. FOPA provides for a Federal defense which can be used to overturn a state level conviction. FOPA provides no guarantee against arrest or conviction at the state level. Would I hesitate to travel through Illinois, New York or California with my firearms under the terms of FOPA? I would not hesitate at all. I also would never volunteer any information relating to firearms to LEO and would never consent to a search of the vehicle, and the firearms case with the guns and ammo would be locked with combination locks which the combination to would not be surrendered, ever.
    And you still have the Dept of The Navy to demand your well-being and whereabouts. If I still had the Dept of The Army demanding mine, I would not hesitate either. When I was active, I transported my weapons in my vehicle through Chicago en route to my now wife's apartment knowing full well that a call from Bragg would free me and ensure the prompt return of my property. When you retire, will you be so bold?

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    And who says the cop will be on the level and respect your 4th amendment rights? Who says he's not all buddy buddy with the judge and DA? Chicago PD is just like the NYPD, their whole legal system is modeled right after New Jersey's! Search without consent, if he resists, claim you saw a gun and shoot him, charge him and wait for the feds to overturn it IF he survives. You need a wakeup call...where you been? Another question for you...who says that you make it to trial? Do you really trust these crooked cops with your safety in jail after they've locked you up for abiding by a law they don't like? They don't have to do jack! Laws are just rules written on paper, doesn't mean a thing to them.
    your tin foil bennie is on way too tight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast