Can I drive through states with a gun in my car? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I drive through states with a gun in my car?

FNWylde Guest
    From handgunlaw.us:

How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits
    firearms or handguns?

Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons
    carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances.
    Federal law does attempt to provide limited protection in these circumstances, but when transporting
    firearms in unfamiliar communities, it is a good idea to check with authorities on local law.

I spent a few days in the Chicago area last September and had 2 pistols cased and stored along with enough ammo to keep me and 2 brothers entertained for most of an afternoon when we met up back in northern IA a couple of days later. The weapons and ammo rode along from Iowa so that an extra detour back to the current home wasn't required to pick them up before we headed to the north end of the state where we grew up.

I was only concerned about the above, though did not research each city that I would be passing through via interstate or expressway. Weapons were legal where I stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by FNWylde View Post
    From handgunlaw.us:

How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits
    firearms or handguns?

Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons
    carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances.
    Federal law does attempt to provide limited protection in these circumstances, but when transporting
    firearms in unfamiliar communities, it is a good idea to check with authorities on local law.

I spent a few days in the Chicago area last September and had 2 pistols cased and stored along with enough ammo to keep me and 2 brothers entertained for most of an afternoon when we met up back in northern IA a couple of days later. The weapons and ammo rode along from Iowa so that an extra detour back to the current home wasn't required to pick them up before we headed to the north end of the state where we grew up.

I was only concerned about the above, though did not research each city that I would be passing through via interstate or expressway. Weapons were legal where I stayed.
    since you were not passing through IL you were not protected by the FOPA laws which allow you to transit through a state, not to visit and possibly violate local laws

FNWylde Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    since you were not passing through IL you were not protected by the FOPA laws which allow you to transit through a state, not to visit and possibly violate local laws
    Ya know, I'm trying to watch a basketball game but you're making me dig up sources I haven't looked at in 6-7 months, but I'll give it a shot.

Here are a couple that I read through and remember that I found more info to support my decision to take my stuff with me. I believe I made a legally correct choice.

http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinion...ril/109130.pdf

Illinois :

Non-residents: A non-resident with a valid carry permit may possess firearms or

ammunition in a vehicle if the weapons are unloaded and cased. If the non-resident does not

have a valid carry permit, he must also stow the firearms in an inaccessible area such as the

trunk or break them down to a non-functioning state. Non-residents may possess loaded
    firearms if the weapons are employed on publicly recognized target ranges, at bonafide gun
    shows or in a hunting format where the individual possesses a non-resident hunting license.
    Absent these narrow exceptions, Illinois prohibits the open or concealed carry of firearms
    in all public areas.

before you get all riled up I was referring to the FOPA laws, not local law.

to address your response

you stated you were in the chicago area, chicago and most of the cities in that region have local laws that go way beyond what the IL laws permit or restrict.
    while it appears that state law says that you can possess your weapon for the purposes of going to a range or other limited purposes however I can say with fairly decent expectations of being correct that if you are found with a gun in and around most places near chicago and are not in compliance with the FOPA laws you will be in it deep.

Unhappy Yes

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesj View Post
    I will be driving from Wisconsin to South Carolina in the near future. I do not have my conceal carry permits as of yet. Can I drive with my gun in the car as I am making this trek? If so what are the guidelines I need to follow? Are the specific to the state I am in?

Thanks,

Mike D.
    Follow Illinois state laws for transport of a firearm and you will meet the requirements for the other states. Illinois law requires residents to apply for a FOID card before they can legally transport a firearm, non-residents do not have to meet this requirement. The "unloaded firearm must be transported in an approved case in a location that does not allow you immediate access". It is legal to transport ammunition in the same case as long as the gun is unloaded, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would put firearms in a locked case, and in the trunk. Then don't spend any more time or money than you necessary to get out of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by shermr View Post
    Follow Illinois state laws for transport of a firearm and you will meet the requirements for the other states. Illinois law requires residents to apply for a FOID card before they can legally transport a firearm, non-residents do not have to meet this requirement. The "unloaded firearm must be transported in an approved case in a location that does not allow you immediate access". It is legal to transport ammunition in the same case as long as the gun is unloaded, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would put firearms in a locked case, and in the trunk. Then don't spend any more time or money than you necessary to get out of the state.

You've just described the FOPA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123