Can I drive through states with a gun in my car?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I drive through states with a gun in my car?

1. Can I drive through states with a gun in my car?

I will be driving from Wisconsin to South Carolina in the near future. I do not have my conceal carry permits as of yet. Can I drive with my gun in the car as I am making this trek? If so what are the guidelines I need to follow? Are the specific to the state I am in?

Thanks,

Mike D.

You can either comply with each state's laws as you enter that state; or you can comply with the Federal Firearms Owners Protection Law, FOPA, 18 USC 926A:

18 USC 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Blog Entries
    Read Navy's post, then also consider that Illinois has yet to comply with a supreme court ruling in favor of the 2nd Amendment. If you can go around Illinois, do so. Chicago cops are renowned criminals.

Call the Dept of Safety for each state you will drive through and ask.
    Illinois is a no no.

6. If it is stored and UNLOADED you can drive through any state.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maine04619 View Post
    If it is stored and UNLOADED you can drive through any state.
    Read both gb-boaters and my responses. We would know that complying with the FOPA will still land you in jail there. If you ever get the chance to prove your innocence, your gun, job and wife will be long gone by the time you get out.

Quote Originally Posted by GB-Boater View Post
    Illinois is a no no.
    IL is not a no-no, comply with the FOPA law and you should have no issues

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Read Navy's post, then also consider that Illinois has yet to comply with a supreme court ruling in favor of the 2nd Amendment. If you can go around Illinois, do so. Chicago cops are renowned criminals.
    Quote Originally Posted by GB-Boater View Post
    Illinois is a no no.
    Illinois state law allows a person to drive through with an unloaded firearm in a locked case.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

10. I appreciate everyone's responses and suggestions. Thank you.

Go to Handgunlaw.us and it should give you all the info you need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast