How Many Of You Open Carry? - Page 10
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Of You Open Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    Open carry is subject to limitations by the local municipalities while concealed carry is only limited by the state.
    In which state? Not in Michigan, state pre-emption prohibits localities from enacting any law stronger than the state.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I open carry about 95% of the time. Instances where I don't are like meeting a new girlfriend for the first time at the daycare that she owns. Just thought the whole situation added up to good reason to conceal - new girlfriend, didn't want kids there to make a deal about it. As soon as we left the daycare, I exposed myself and I must say things have taken a much positive turn ever since!

I open carry because:

#1 The "element of surprise" has historically been an offensive strategic advantage. Visible detterence has historically been a defensive strategic advantage. I would rather deter something from happening to me than defend myself against something in the process of happening.

#2 Public example and education that it is perfectly acceptable for an American citizen to possess the means to protect themselves.

#3 It's just easier. I don't have to make any wardrobe adjustments to fit any particular method of carry. I just carry. If a shirt is tucked in, it's open. If I get cold and throw a coat on, it's concealed. I just don't waste any time or effort on it.
    That sounds a lot like my point of view on the subject.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Really? I've heard from others that OC in FL is not legal. Except maybe on your own property. In fact, Opencarry.org says it's not legal.
    I think Luke posted this back when he lived in Nevada.

I spent the first 11 years of my LEO career as a uniformed officer for various departments. Gee I open carried every day and didn't realize I had lost the "tactical advantage".

IOpen carry is legal in Idaho while I don't normally open carry I will if I'm heqaded to one of the few places I frequent.

I live pretty rural, 143 miles into town and 43 miles to the highway etc. So if I'm just headed to the feed store for grain I don't bother to carry concealed. Same with the once or twice a month trip into town for groceries.

Like everything else it's situational. I only get the mail once a month. A few years ago I noticed they had a no guns poster up in the post office so I put mine in the console of the pickup and went in to get the mail. The postmistress noticed my empty holster a teased me unnmercifully about losing my gun. I pointed out the poster. Her response? "Oh that's not meant for you".

Like I said, it's situational. Odviously my situation is radically different than most.

Ross

One of the reasons for the push to open carry, is to change the perception of people who carry guns.
    At first the sheeple will react to seeing openly worn firearms, but as they see more and more carriers NOT causing problems, NOT committing crimes, NOT having shootouts in the street, the perceptions will change.
    And then we can start getting back to the way this country USED to be

An armed society is a polite society.

Openly 'Heeled'

I carry a 1911-A1 .45acp 'bout 90% 'Openly'... 'n either that or a 9mm Makarov 'CC'. All this 'tactical advantage' stuff is silly. I wear a gunbelt with the holster at 10 O'Clock (X-draw). I have no problem accessing the weapon from any position. BG's do not generally shoot armed people... 'cept cops... 'n that's because the cop is trying to arrest them for something. BG's know what a cop will prob'ly do. They dunno what Joe Cowboy will do... but they KNOW he ain't gonna just stand there 'n whistle Dixie.

I've carried in that manner before all this 'OC/CC' stuff was ever heard of. You were either heeled or not. Generally... it was on yer hip for the world to see or in your truck. 'Never heard of anybody so heeled come to grief. Arizona's a gun/weapon culture. 'Been that way since the Spanish Grandee's... 'fore the pilgrim's landed. I've been carryin' 'open' here beginnin' in 1966 w/o incident.

I purpose carry... 'n it's not to educate anybody 'bout anything. It's for self defense. Not only against the potential BG... but there's wild critters that might have ideas... For that, it's a mind changer. I don't worry 'bout Level II retention 'n all that junk. "Retention isn't even a requirement. I use a thumb break or a strip of rawhide on the hammer simply to keep the gun from fallin' out.

The only people who go wide eyed are the noobs 'n first time snowbirds. LEO's don't care. 'Long as you don't fiddle with it... or 'brandish' (take it out of the holster) yer good to go. Same with long arms. What's NOT practiced here is hoplophobic paranoia.

The Arizona Constitution reads: Art 2 Sec 26 "The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves or the state shall not be impared." 'Been that way since it was a Territory. To deny citizens their individual right to self defense is a civil rights violation and actual tyranny in practice. Rights are not granted by government. Pre-existing rights are recognized as such and protected/defended. 'S'posed to be anyway.

Rights require no license or permit to exercise. Rights can be (and are) denied by government in several ways. The RTKBA has been denied for so long in some states (for generations)... it's endemic. The 'people' don't even know any better. Worse... they will not demand restoration. You get the government you deserve.
    Last edited by SonoraRebel; 02-16-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Hey, Reb . . . you have a permit to carry? Open Carry in AZ requires no permit. I take it you never carry concealed?
    Last edited by Ektarr; 02-16-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Yeah... I have a CWP for concealed. Rarely use it.

Quote Originally Posted by SonoraRebel View Post
    Yeah... I have a CWP for concealed. Rarely use it.
    Good man :)

Nothing like the sight of steel and leather to keep people honest.
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast