How Many Of You Open Carry? - Page 12
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Of You Open Carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by SonoraRebel View Post
    I think a 45/70 revolver with a 10" barrel would attract attention... anywhere. As a self defense weapon tho... That seems a bit much... unless ya got ninja moose in the 'hood.
    Well I've been shooting a 45/70 for over 30 years and I've never had to shoot anything more than once with it. Everything I've shot drops in it's tracks, for the same reason I believe it's the perfect self defense round. If by some terrible chance of fate you get in a situation where you need to protect yourself or someone else, do you want to have to hope you can stop them or know you'll stop them? If you've never had a chance to shoot a BFR I can tell you it's no harder to shoot and handle than any other large frame handgun.
    One last thing, it's as accurate as many rifles. I've been talking with a guy that's had the time to really wring one of these out looking for the most accurate load and he was kind enough to share his data with me. His 45/70 is capable of 1" groups at 100yards and he has fired 3 shot groups at 50 yards that measure 3/8". Dave

Quote Originally Posted by use enough gun View Post
    Well I've been shooting a 45/70 for over 30 years and I've never had to shoot anything more than once with it. Everything I've shot drops in it's tracks, for the same reason I believe it's the perfect self defense round. If by some terrible chance of fate you get in a situation where you need to protect yourself or someone else, do you want to have to hope you can stop them or know you'll stop them? If you've never had a chance to shoot a BFR I can tell you it's no harder to shoot and handle than any other large frame handgun.
    One last thing, it's as accurate as many rifles. I've been talking with a guy that's had the time to really wring one of these out looking for the most accurate load and he was kind enough to share his data with me. His 45/70 is capable of 1" groups at 100yards and he has fired 3 shot groups at 50 yards that measure 3/8". Dave
    Still, seems a bit much to me. Hope you got a trick holster, I'd hate to see how long it takes to draw that out in a hurry.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Long range isn't self defense....

No matter what kind'a grouping accuracy that cannon has... the normal range of self defense engagement is gonna be 8-12' (or less). Against a human (CoM)... that slug is prob'ly gonna go clean thru 'em... to where? 'Hope you wear that thing cross-draw.

Quote Originally Posted by SonoraRebel View Post
    No matter what kind'a grouping accuracy that cannon has... the normal range of self defense engagement is gonna be 8-12' (or less). Against a human (CoM)... that slug is prob'ly gonna go clean thru 'em... to where? 'Hope you wear that thing cross-draw.
    I didn't want to really say anything else either, but shooting targets and hunting is not exactly the same as getting into a fight for you life either. There are other factors that can mess with your ability to shoot straight.

But if you're sure you can defend yourself with that, go ahead. Just be sure you know where the bullet is going to end up.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by SonoraRebel View Post
    Custom + Culture! I have been 'heeled' in Arizona from 1971 onward. Now that I finally live here, I am heeled everyday... all the time. Home... away... on the road or whatever. Goin' heeled is 'open carry'. I really don't understand all this 'tactical advantage' CC nonsense... Mainly because I think it's a manufactured excuse to justify both a lack of self confidence and acute self-consciousness rationalization.

Having read most of this thread... I see indications of guilt & fear... as tho carrying a firearm is somehow 'wrong'. I see references to 'permit and license'... as tho the free exercise of a Right requires Government sanctioned permission. Rights do not require permission. Rights are either recognized or denied. If you are a product of the public school systems (as I am) this little detail relative to "Right, Permit, & License was seldom addressed. More often it was obfuscated and homogenized. Particularly regarding the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. This is the only 'Right' that entails 'bearing' anything.

Arms. Not even firearms by definition... but Arms. Swords, knives, axes, polearms if you prefer... or personal firearms... Guns! Concealed carry is not definded in the US Constitution or Arizona's. It is 'permitted' by State permit. Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) here. Note that all CCW/CWP's etc are State issued. Reciprocity is between States (or not) as well. How come? 10th Amendment!

I have a CWP merely to avoid accidental concealment and the practicality of firearms purchases or interstate travel where OC is denied. Note... I do not use the term permitted. The Right is denied or subjected to Government control in defiance of the 2nd Amendment. Y'know... the same Constitution these people took an oath to protect and defend when they were sworn in to office?

As for method of carry... The movies have done much to alter and distort perception. This quick draw stuff is Hollywood... as is 'strong side'... 'Condition', 'Stance' 'n such from people who made a good livin' inventiing these terms and ideas. Jeff Cooper among them. I use a seperate gunbelt for the large frame guns 'n a simple 'bucket' on my pants belt for the little one. (The little one being a Makarov 9x18mm.) The ..45's 'n 9's go in a holster on a gunbelt. I carry at the 10 O'Clock position (cross draw) in that it does not impede either my seat belt when driving or my leg when mounting a horse. I don't care what John Wayne did.

As for 'draw'... try pullin' that piece sittin' down w/o finding your gun butt in your armpit before clearing the holster. Providing the holster doesn't try to come along with the gun in the process. At 10 O'Clock the weapon is not bangin' into anything (or anyone) accidentally either. I suspect more than a few here are relative noobs to carryin' firearms. 'What will people say... do? What will the LEO's do... say?" "What if...?"

First of all... why do you carry a firearm? 'Political statement... attention... fashion accessory... adventurous novelty, trendy, conversation piece or self defense? What's your priority?
    Secondly... would you kill a human being? Have you ever killed... anything with a firearm? Would you hesitate... running all the legal and possible financial ramifications thru your head... or just pull the bang switch?

Personally... I carry 'openly' for self defense. It's an active rather than passive deterrent. All these 'armed guy gets shot first scenarios' are products of imagination. If that were true... we'd have OC'rs gettin' dusted right 'n left. When I first went armed into the world... there were no discussion forums. There were no 'discussions'. You were either heeled or not. It wasn't even an issue. If these Government morons abided by the Constitution (as they are sworn to do), aided and abbetted by equally ignorant moronic MSM news wonks... it wouldn't be an issue now.
    All I can say to that is AMEN!

I think it is legal in Louisiana without a permit, but I do not believe I ever would. Don't see the need to advertise

I agree with everything being said but I also do know that if more people carried openly in those states that allow it, people would be less likely to create that stigma surrounding guns. Also, in some cases OC'ing has been a deterent to criminals. The sign I have in my front yard that says I have an alarm system is my first line of defense. I know if I was doing B&E's and there are 3 houses on the street and 2 of them have alarm signs in the front yard and one doesn't...where do you think I'm gonna go?

In any event....no matter what...action is always faster then reaction. I can't legally OC in SC but I do wish it was option here.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    -- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

I dont open carry because I feel that carrying a personal defense firearm is "my business," not to mention that I get enough open carry time when I am at work.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by sheashae View Post
    I think it is legal in Louisiana without a permit, but I do not believe I ever would. Don't see the need to advertise
    Rights do not require 'Permit'.

OC

In my home state, PA, open carry is perfectly legal without a license to carry firearms (LTCF) except in cities of the first class -- Philadelphia. Then you need an LTCF to carry either way.

I open carry almost all the time with a concealed backup. My OC weapon isn't chambered, but my CC weapon is.

I do this for a few reasons. First, there is such a negative stigma surrounding guns, and when I am OC'ing, I go out of my way to be polite and friendly to let people know that people with guns != bad guy. Second, it is a right I have as pertaining to the laws of Pennsylvania, and a right unused is one which will soon be removed. Lastly, an openly armed person is a major deterrent to most would-be aggressors. Nobody wants to get shot, and I'd rather not have to worry about pulling my weapon if I could just scare them off to start with.

The OC weapon isn't chambered because if someone does actually get my weapon, they can pull the trigger to their hearts content and it won't fire. Meanwhile, as soon as their hand goes on my OC weapon, my CC weapon comes out. They've given me a perfect legal reason to draw my CC weapon and use it if necessary. To me, it would be a tactical advantage plus all of the other benefits above.

For those who are legally permitted to OC and are apprehensive in doing so, take the time to seriously think about what your goals are. If your goals are to show off your gun or have a "tough guy" mentality, please do the entire gun community a favor and leave it at home.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast