How Many Of You Open Carry? - Page 13
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Of You Open Carry?

In Minnesota the law is a permit to carry, doesn't matter open or concealed but almost all who have permits carry concealed.

Since I haven't gotten a wardrobe yet that is "extra grande" in the waist for IWB, I sometimes carry my Stoeger OWB, usually covered by a jacket or sweatshirt. As it gets warmer, that will become an untucked shirt. I'll carry open if it suits me at the time, I really don't have strong feelings either way.

Interestingly enough, next door in Wisconsin open carry is legal as long as you aren't in a motor vehicle, but you can't carry concealed.
    "Gun a Month" Club Member

OC v. CC

I'm a concealed carry certification instructor for multiple states and lifelong firearms owner. I normally carry concealed in most circumstances. However, from time-to-time I open carry. In all the years I've been carrying I've only had one person ever make a comment about it. Normally most people just don't notice. The one person who did make a comment did so more out of a desire to understand than to criticize - and I took the occasion to be a 2nd Amendment Goodwill Ambassador.

On those occasions when I do open carry, I go to a little extra effort to dress nicely (i.e. business casual) and I'm polite and friendly. If I'm open carrying, I might have a coffee in my strong-side hand or my car keys or maybe a water bottle so as to lower the 'concern' of those who might encounter a "man with a g.g..g..gg....g....ggg...gg..g.g...gun".

Here in Nevada, open carry is legal but you don't see it as much as you might in say Arizona for example. However most LEOs here are very professional and as long as you have your documentation in order, they aren't a problem. I've had a couple of friendly conversations with officers and we ended up 'talking shop' about firearms, nearby outdoor ranges, IDPA, USPSA etc.

I believe that if more people exercised their right to carry it would be less of a big deal to others who don't. I do encourage all firearms owners to be Second Amendment Goodwill Ambassadors and when carrying, whether open or concealed, to conduct themselves in a way that will make people who don't carry less fearful of those of us who do so.
    Very Respectfully,
    CAPTAIN MIKE
    www.GetYourCCW.Biz

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MIKE View Post
    ...snip...
    Very well said, sir!

5. Jan L from Western New York

Hello All,

I'm new to this group but as an ex-police officer, I always carry concealed. Never give the "bad guy" the
    advantage. The only time I open carry is for hunting purposes.

i open carry in the summer because i carry a large gun. any other time i conceal it. when criminals see your gun, they tend to shy away, just be aware of your surroundings and proficient with your firearm.
    " We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. " - Abraham Lincoln

7. I plan to open carry more often as the weather improves - usually I now open carry in the car which is considered open carry in SD -

Exclamation

Being a retired LEO I really don't think open carry does anyone justice. I would never want a bad guy to know that I was carrying, and in certain areas you would become a target just to get your gun. I understand and believe in the 2nd amendment, but I don't understand making yourself a target.
    I carry all the time, but the only time I carry open is camping.
    Remember I went through the academy a long time ago, but you were taught "Every one know who you are when your in uniform, but you have no idea who they are"
    Well that just my thoughts in this matter

I generally carry open only when I'm headed to the range. I have to take my mag out before I enter any range that is currently open. Other than that, always concealed.
    Fred's News
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - - Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by risque1 View Post
    Being a retired LEO I really don't think open carry does anyone justice. I would never want a bad guy to know that I was carrying, and in certain areas you would become a target just to get your gun. I understand and believe in the 2nd amendment, but I don't understand making yourself a target.
    I open carry specifically for the purpose of making myself a target, just not for the "bad guys". I want people to see that I'm carrying and that I'm not a LEO. The reasoning for this is that just about every single mention of the word "gun" in the media is associated with murder or attempted murder; all negative. When I OC, I go out of my way to be extra polite and friendly. I view myself as an ambassador to the rest of us who carry.

I've had encounters with other citizens who were very obviously afraid of the fact that I was carrying, and they were relaxed by the time the encounter was over. I'm just tired of the word "gun" being equated with "criminal", and that's why I carry openly.

So to me, and everyone has to make their own decisions on the matter, a person who OC's does everyone justice since it opens up the possibility in others' eyes that a man with a gun does not mean they are about to be shot.

But be smart about it... There is no chance in hell that I would ever carry openly in, say, most parts of Philadelphia thanks to a high rate of crime. I always CC in Philly, and almost always OC in the 'burbs.

I was in NoVa the other weekend and decided to "Open Carry" to see how it was. No big deal a couple of stares, that's about it. Personally, I don't care for all the attention, but when I went to restaurants like Ruby Tuesdays & Hooters, I had to open carry for my meal, Virginias' law.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast