How Many Of You Open Carry? - Page 6
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Of You Open Carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by ishi View Post
    I'd like to conceal an AK in my SmartCarry. Trying different options, pics to follow...

:o
    Please ishi... NO pics dude!

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. SIG View Post
    Please ishi... NO pics dude!
    edit: nevermind, I was mistaken
    Last edited by molonlabetn; 10-11-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JM40.Cal View Post
    Actually the word is hoplophobes :-) Hoplo being from the Greek Hoplon, meaning weapon. It's not in the dictionary (yet), but it has become the standard term to describe those with an irrational fear of weapons, or more specifically, guns.
    Thank You,, you beat me to it. Hoplophobe is a great word and most folks will ask what it means when you use it. A good opportunity to bring up the subject of firearms in a positive light.

spc
    ;)

5. How many of you open carry?

When I was on the job, Arizona did not allow concealed carry unless you were a police officer or military personnel, and it was in connection to your duties. We moved to Washington, then to California. When we returned to Arizona, the state had passed the CCW law, and you oculd get a permit. They did not repeal the old law that allowed anyone who could own a gun to strap it on and carry it almost anywhere. The crime rate, once they passed the new CCW law, dropped dramatically. The rate had remained constant since the 1880s when everyone wore guns openly to the time the law changed. The drop was credited to the fact that the BGs could not tell who was armed anymore. In the Old West, the famed movie walkdown was pretty much a myth. Most gunfighters died of GSWs to the back. It was much safer to shoot in the back rather than risk being shot while trying to shoot your opponent. OC or CC, it is a matter of preference. Washignton is listed as an OC state, but I have not observed anyone OCing. According to one source I saw, over 239,000 Washingtonians CC. Would make me stop and ponder, were I a BG. I love OC, but it is much misunderstood from what I hear when I hear people talk about guns.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

it's legal here in michigan too. but I don't like the idea of everyone knowing.. also don't like the idea of getting harrassed about it by some moron who automatically thinks that if there is a gun then there is trouble.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by molonlabetn View Post
    I OC regularly. No problems, and I am treated like a human around town (more than I can say about some folks on gun forums, when it comes to that).

Maybe I'm just not 'tactical'... but I've yet to see an evidence that there is a disadvantage, such as it being any more likely to be disarmed or targeted for crime. On the other hand, I can carry a full-size pistol which I can shoot well, and has a good capacity of potent rounds.

Remember me when you're sweating under a cover-garment, or trusting that P32 to stop a coked-out maniac. ;)

In the best of cases, a ne'er-do-well will see that I am armed and go elsewhere. And in the worst of situations, I can draw faster, hit harder and more often.
    I'm a summertime OC'er, wintertime CC (long shirts and coat). Same OWB rig. I OC for many of the same reasons as molon, as well as for comfort. Until I can find a holster I like better (fobus does not have one for a 92 clone w/ accessory rails ) I am using a Yaqui Slide (retention = ME).

I guess it looks scary to some? I've really only had 2 "non-positive" (not exactly negative, just unsure) responses. The rest of the time I've never really been hassled.

ETA:
    So from what I do, I don't care OC or CC, just carry!

The "first target" or "gun grab" among the non-LEOs that carry openly is statistically so unlikely (I've yet to hear of it) that it is offset by the benefits to me (comfort, convenience, full-frame gun).
    Last edited by squisher; 01-13-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: more input
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

So far, I have only open carried in Colorado, which is the only state on my annual 4,000 mile motorcycle journey that won't recognize any of my CCW permits. I also take Hwy 50 across instead of the I70 because Denver doesn't allow open carry and Hwy 50 is a blast on a motorcycle.

Here's my list of Open Carry pros and cons:

Pros:
    Reinforces the right to the general public
    May serve as an additional deterrent to crime
    Is a great 2nd amendment conversation starter
    Would definitely be more convenient in the summer (at least for me)
    Provides quicker access to your firearm
    May be your only option in some places

Cons:
    Gives away any tactical advantage gained by blending into the crowd
    May panic some uneducated people and result in police involvement
    Provides public access to your firearm (if you do open carry, I'd recommend getting some training in handgun retention techniques)
    May be illegal in some places

I don't care either way. I might even start open carrying a little bit more just to get some experience with it.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

While carrying I don't like to be the center of attention, fly low, fly concealed and use when needed.
    JB
    "Active Member Of My Neighborhood Watch Pistol Team"
    Montana Gun Owners

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    So far, I have only open carried in Colorado, which is the only state on my annual 4,000 mile motorcycle journey that won't recognize any of my CCW permits. I also take Hwy 50 across instead of the I70 because Denver doesn't allow open carry and Hwy 50 is a blast on a motorcycle.

Here's my list of Open Carry pros and cons:

Pros:
    Reinforces the right to the general public
    May serve as an additional deterrent to crime
    Is a great 2nd amendment conversation starter
    Would definitely be more convenient in the summer (at least for me)
    Provides quicker access to your firearm
    May be your only option in some places

Cons:
    Gives away any tactical advantage gained by blending into the crowd
    May panic some uneducated people and result in police involvement
    Provides public access to your firearm (if you do open carry, I'd recommend getting some training in handgun retention techniques)
    May be illegal in some places

I don't care either way. I might even start open carrying a little bit more just to get some experience with it.
    You make some good points. Both OC and CC have pros and cons, depending on the person and the situation. What works best for tattedupboy is not necessarily what works best for DarrellM5, HK4U, or anybody else. As long as the RKBA is exercised responsibly, it should not really matter.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

11. I can but I do not, like it was said before...I would rather them not know i have it

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast