How Many Of You Open Carry? - Page 7
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Of You Open Carry?

1. I open carry about 95% of the time. Instances where I don't are like meeting a new girlfriend for the first time at the daycare that she owns. Just thought the whole situation added up to good reason to conceal - new girlfriend, didn't want kids there to make a deal about it. As soon as we left the daycare, I exposed myself and I must say things have taken a much positive turn ever since!

I open carry because:

#1 The "element of surprise" has historically been an offensive strategic advantage. Visible detterence has historically been a defensive strategic advantage. I would rather deter something from happening to me than defend myself against something in the process of happening.

#2 Public example and education that it is perfectly acceptable for an American citizen to possess the means to protect themselves.

#3 It's just easier. I don't have to make any wardrobe adjustments to fit any particular method of carry. I just carry. If a shirt is tucked in, it's open. If I get cold and throw a coat on, it's concealed. I just don't waste any time or effort on it.

Excellent post LT! Sums up pretty much the reasons that I OC.

4. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I open carry about 95% of the time. Instances where I don't are like meeting a new girlfriend for the first time at the daycare that she owns. Just thought the whole situation added up to good reason to conceal - new girlfriend, didn't want kids there to make a deal about it. As soon as we left the daycare, I exposed myself and I must say things have taken a much positive turn ever since!

I open carry because:

#1 The "element of surprise" has historically been an offensive strategic advantage. Visible detterence has historically been a defensive strategic advantage. I would rather deter something from happening to me than defend myself against something in the process of happening.

#2 Public example and education that it is perfectly acceptable for an American citizen to possess the means to protect themselves.

#3 It's just easier. I don't have to make any wardrobe adjustments to fit any particular method of carry. I just carry. If a shirt is tucked in, it's open. If I get cold and throw a coat on, it's concealed. I just don't waste any time or effort on it.
    Great post!
    Kel Tec Freak & 2A Activist
    Grass Roots Gun Rights SC

5. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I open carry because:

Here, here. MFs better know.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post

I open carry because:

+1 on your #1, #2, & #3 !!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by navylt View Post
    i open carry about 95% of the time. Instances where i don't are like meeting a new girlfriend for the first time at the daycare that she owns. Just thought the whole situation added up to good reason to conceal - new girlfriend, didn't want kids there to make a deal about it. As soon as we left the daycare, i exposed myself and i must say things have taken a much positive turn ever since!

I open carry because:

#1 the "element of surprise" has historically been an offensive strategic advantage. Visible detterence has historically been a defensive strategic advantage. I would rather deter something from happening to me than defend myself against something in the process of happening.

#2 public example and education that it is perfectly acceptable for an american citizen to possess the means to protect themselves.

#3 it's just easier. I don't have to make any wardrobe adjustments to fit any particular method of carry. I just carry. If a shirt is tucked in, it's open. If i get cold and throw a coat on, it's concealed. I just don't waste any time or effort on it.
    +1000000000
    was on a local TV news story obout Open carry this saturday.A group of us had an open carry meetup,& had the news come out & do a story on it.
    Last edited by chad pf-9; 01-20-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added the tv story.

Quote Originally Posted by chad pf-9 View Post
    +1000000000
    was on a local TV news story obout Open carry this saturday.A group of us had an open carry meetup,& had the news come out & do a story on it.
    When it airs, put it on youtube and share with the rest of us. Would love to see the story!

I would be afraid to open carry in ohio. If I saw a cop looking at me with a pistol exposed my first instinct would be to run.I guess it's been ingrained in my mind that having a gun in public is only for police. I'm sure it would deter someone from attacking you but I've never seen anyone here carry. if I was sure I wouldn't be stopped by police every 5 minutes I'd probably try it just to get comfortable with the fact that I CAN carry legally. I haven't got my CCW permit yet but I'm sure gonna be nervous carrying even with it concealed.

10. I think as long as you dress like a responsible citizen and not a gangbanger, most people just assume you're an off-duty or plain clothes LEO. Those that are curious will usually ask. I agree with all three points and will add that if a BG thinks you are a LEO he will probably think twice about throwing some trouble your way.

11. Quote Originally Posted by crazycathed View Post
    I would be afraid to open carry in ohio. If I saw a cop looking at me with a pistol exposed my first instinct would be to run.I guess it's been ingrained in my mind that having a gun in public is only for police. I'm sure it would deter someone from attacking you but I've never seen anyone here carry. if I was sure I wouldn't be stopped by police every 5 minutes I'd probably try it just to get comfortable with the fact that I CAN carry legally. I haven't got my CCW permit yet but I'm sure gonna be nervous carrying even with it concealed.
    Dressed like your avatar, I would probably be nervous too!

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast