open carry WalMart - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: open carry WalMart

1. On a motorcycle forum I used to frequent, there was a member who had a signature that I liked. It was something like this: "Treat everyone with dignity and respect, but have a plan to kill them just in case."

If a cop stopped you for any reason other than to chat about news, weather and sports, they're probably not going to do it without a good reason. Personally, I don't have any problems talking to cops cause I don't have anything to worry about. I'm not likely to be a suspect in any criminal endeavor because I'm not about to knowingly break the law. "No Guns Allowed" carries no weight in law here, unless it's a govt. building. Other than that, the worst that can happen to me is that a store owner or manager didn't want me and my gun in their store and they enlisted a cop to let me know. I'd just be told that I gotta leave and I would do so without a problem.

Hide the fact that you're carrying until the very last second? Are you nucking futz? As soon as a leo knows he's come into contact with a lac in possession, he's going to know you're not likely to be up to anything no good. Who would risk their CCW?? Plus, cops here like lac's in possession. They say it helps to keep the violent crime rate down.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed​ lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    If a cop stopped you for any reason other than to chat about news, weather and sports, they're probably not going to do it without a good reason. Personally, I don't have any problems talking to cops cause I don't have anything to worry about. I'm not likely to be a suspect in any criminal endeavor because I'm not about to knowingly break the law. "No Guns Allowed" carries no weight in law here, unless it's a govt. building. Other than that, the worst that can happen to me is that a store owner or manager didn't want me and my gun in their store and they enlisted a cop to let me know. I'd just be told that I gotta leave and I would do so without a problem.

Hide the fact that you're carrying until the very last second? Are you nucking futz? As soon as a leo knows he's come into contact with a lac in possession, he's going to know you're not likely to be up to anything no good. Who would risk their CCW?? Plus, cops here like lac's in possession. They say it helps to keep the violent crime rate down.
    This forum involves posters from many different States so folks tend to speak from their personal perspective of the laws from their own State. But different States have different laws. There are States where it is required to immediately disclose being armed and having a carry permit to an officer and there are States that have no such requirement.

For example... Michigan requires a permit holder who is armed to immediately disclose he is armed and has a permit when stopped by an officer.

Which means if a person has a permit but ISN'T armed he is not required to disclose. Also it means an armed permit holder has to be "stopped" by an officer... which means if a cop comes up and starts a "conversation" but the person is not "stopped" (detained) he is not required to disclose.

That is just how Michigan's law works... I am not familiar with all the laws from all the States so I try very hard not to assume someone from another State has to obey the same laws I do.

However.... personally... Quite often our local Chief of Police drives through the neighborhood and I'll go out and talk about everyday stuff with him for a while ... but if I am armed and there is any hint of any doubt in my mind whether I'm being "stopped/detained", by any officer including the Chief, instead of just having an ordinary talk about everyday stuff... I'll disclose.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7...0941--,00.html

My previous post was probably a little much for this discussion.

What I’m trying to communicate is that if a police officer approaches me and I’m unsure as to why then I should proceed with caution until I know why he is approaching me because in my experience it’s a whole lot easier to talk yourself into handcuffs than it is to talk your self out of them.

And, because I live in Colorado Springs (where the city is about to pay out a rather large settlement because they wrongfully arrested an open carrier), I would be very cautious if a police officer approached me while I was open carrying.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Here we go again with the "never talk to police" crap...

Cop: Excuse me sir can I ask you a few questions?
    Citizen: I dont have time. Am I free to go?
    Cop: Well sure but I wanted to ask you if you've seen this murder suspect around here
    Citizen: I dont wish to answer any questions without my lawyer. Am I free to go?

Ya that's good advice to never talk to police I suppose....
    Why would a cop be asking round about questions about a murder suspect? Wouldn't it go like this...

Officer: Hello, I'm Officer Eagle, we are searching for a murder suspect, have you seen this person?

OC: No I have not.

Officer: thank you.

To me, if the intentions of the officer aren't clear right up front, chances are they aren't asking for help, but fishing.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    OMG dude, paragraphs please.
    Haveing been accused of this very violation myself, I simply repete what I said then, I am sure everybody here understood what he was trying to say, even if he did not have the proper typed grammer, we are not being graded in school, so WRGAF
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    My previous post was probably a little much for this discussion.

What I’m trying to communicate is that if a police officer approaches me and I’m unsure as to why then I should proceed with caution until I know why he is approaching me because in my experience it’s a whole lot easier to talk yourself into handcuffs than it is to talk your self out of them.

And, because I live in Colorado Springs (where the city is about to pay out a rather large settlement because they wrongfully arrested an open carrier), I would be very cautious if a police officer approached me while I was open carrying.
    You make my point. It's not the majority of cops, it's the occasional bad apple. You cite an instance of a single cop but the premise of your discussion in this and your other thread is that any cop approaching you is going to have infringing your rights on his mind. Most cops are strong supporters of the 2A. Therefore, most cops that approach you while staring at your gun are a 'friendly'. Every cop I've encountered while carrying has adamantly thanked me for openly carrying.

Most cops cops are trained to watch body language. It won't take an expert to recognize the difference between my smile and pleasant demeanor and your piercing stare and guarded conversation. You're gonna set off alarms even though they, (the cops), have nothing to be alarmed about. You're going to pique their curiosity and put them into the "How can I legally justify further inquiry" mode. I put them into the "I'd like to buy him a beer sometime" frame of mind.

Not saying you don't have a right to keep your business to yourself. You certainly do. But it's one of those honey/vinegar things. Human nature, and cops are human too, is to want to associate with like minded people. Good guys hang with good guys. Bad guys with bad guys. If you're a good guy but you're guarded and evasive when approached by a person who's job it is to weed out the bad guys, he's going to get the wrong signal. Who's fault is that?

That Colorado Springs is paying an OC'er that was wronged by a bad apple cop is testament to the system working. Do you think the law enforcement offices throughout the entire county didn't all get schooled on OC rights as a direct result of this one incident? One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch my friend.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed​ lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    This forum involves posters from many different States so folks tend to speak from their personal perspective of the laws from their own State. But different States have different laws. There are States where it is required to immediately disclose being armed and having a carry permit to an officer and there are States that have no such requirement.

For example... Michigan requires a permit holder who is armed to immediately disclose he is armed and has a permit when stopped by an officer.

Which means if a person has a permit but ISN'T armed he is not required to disclose. Also it means an armed permit holder has to be "stopped" by an officer... which means if a cop comes up and starts a "conversation" but the person is not "stopped" (detained) he is not required to disclose.

That is just how Michigan's law works... I am not familiar with all the laws from all the States so I try very hard not to assume someone from another State has to obey the same laws I do.

However.... personally... Quite often our local Chief of Police drives through the neighborhood and I'll go out and talk about everyday stuff with him for a while ... but if I am armed and there is any hint of any doubt in my mind whether I'm being "stopped/detained", by any officer including the Chief, instead of just having an ordinary talk about everyday stuff... I'll disclose.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7...0941--,00.html
    The law is the law. If the law requires you to disclose, then you should disclose. What do you have to lose? Odds are, the cop that has to run you is just as annoyed about having to do an unnecessary check as you are. Any cop I run into will know in two seconds that my face isn't on a poster at the post office. Their own assessment will tell them there's no need to look deeper. Even if they do, all they'll find is that I'm clean. Nothing to see here folks, move along. Again, no harm, no foul.

I live in Reno, NV. We have really good laws here regarding guns, including no duty to disclose. If I'm CC'n and I encounter a cop at the donut shop, I'm not going to run up to him and declare my status. They guy's enjoying a donut, I'm sure he's more into that than meeting me. But if I get stopped for speeding, (and I have), I have my CCW and drivers license in hand before the cop reaches my window. The first words out of my mouth are "I would like to declare a loaded weapon". It's happened twice so far, (I speed a lot), and both times all the cop did was ask where the weapon was. I always offer to surrender it if they would like and both times the cop said there was no need. The only thing that I noticed was that each time they returned to my car after that the first thing they did was look to see that the gun hadn't been moved. I was guilty as hell of speeding, but neither cop, one from the state highway patrol and the other from the County Sheriff, made even the slightest overture toward infringing on my right to possess. My assessment, everything went exactly as it was supposed to. I can't help but wonder if it would have been different if I hadn't declared the gun and the cop happened to notice it on his own. At minimum, it would make the hair on the back of his neck stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    WRGAF
    ????????????????
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    In the event someone did respond, I'll tell ya what I'd do, I'd comply with everything the cop asked me to do, without hesitation, without argument. To do ANYTHING other than that would simply guarantee getting arrested.
    Compliance, out of fear of arrest, is nothing more than absolute submission.
    No uniform on earth gets respect from me if that respect is not given first.
    Might as well just put your hands on your head, get on your knees and "complain about it later", huh? Kind of like all those Boston residents did after being taken out of their homes by force, ie, men with automatic rifles. No warrant presented, no legal right to enforce their action, just guns and screaming with a badge.
    A uniform is just material sewn together and emblazoned with the appropriate markings. It confers no power on its own. As such, it is the actions of the individual who wears it that determines how they are perceived.

Cop or no cop, my "spidey sense" will go off until I deduce whether the individual is a threat to me... Period.
    It's sad to hear from others that think the uniform deserves, nay demands respect over and above individual freedoms.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast