open carry WalMart - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: open carry WalMart

Quote Originally Posted by cornbread View Post
    I've seen open carry in Walmart in North Carolina. Makes me do a double take. I figure if you're going to open carry do it Dirty Harry style. Go big or go home.
    Nah, much better to go about nondescript. My rig looks a lot like what one might see an off duty LEO use. A gen3 Glock 23 in a Fobus Evolution belt holster. No need to attract any more attention than normal, which in my area is next to none.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Was at the local Walmart this weekend and notice a sign on the Tire & lube service door. Didn't say you couldn't carry, but spelled out that it you would face possible civil and criminal actions if your weapon was obtained by someone under 18 yrs old if carried illegally and in a reckless manner.

From the way it was written, good to go if in a holster but not so much if you just tuck it into your waistband.

Not a lot of Open Carry in my area, not sure why, just don't see much of it. And not just at Walmart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
    Was at the local Walmart this weekend and notice a sign on the Tire & lube service door. Didn't say you couldn't carry, but spelled out that it you would face possible civil and criminal actions if your weapon was obtained by someone under 18 yrs old if carried illegally and in a reckless manner.

From the way it was written, good to go if in a holster but not so much if you just tuck it into your waistband.

Not a lot of Open Carry in my area, not sure why, just don't see much of it. And not just at Walmart.
    They should put that sign up in our walmart. There's this LEO from the town of Star Prarie that slaps the holster on without a belt and it just flaps there at 5:00. One day it's going to fall and someone will get hurt or killed. I've confronted him a few times and he never gets any better. His superiors on the village board don't care. Why do all the assbags come out at walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    I certainly understand that, however also due to the size of your weapon CC would be almost as bad as OP, at the very least uncomfortable..........I would seriously start planning the purchase of a little better quality weapon, I keep towards Glocks and 1911s, but any of the compact 9s 40s 45s would be good for CC or OC
    Thanks for the insight. I've been kinda looking at some sigs and maybe glock in .40,

Amazing isn't it ... should NOT feel guilty about it at all to carry. Overall all of the years I opened carried in plains clothes and some uniformed officers I was around a lot asked one day, why aren't you ever carrying a gun ? I turned my side to them and asked, you mean like this ? They asked when I started doing that ... and I told them, it's always on me... are you serious? It's amazing that no one ever really noticed my gun. They also weren't looking for one.

I think today, people's senses are more alert about guns, and they are now looking for them more often, because it's been so much in daily discussion. If it wasn't, I don't think most people would even being paying any attention to it at all. I doubt they would really notice.

I think what it all boils down to is that regardless of how you carry, just do it. Carry to the extent the laws in your location allow, and know those laws so you can help educate anyone that's interested in a brief conversation. People argue OC/CC - whatever, I do both. A point was made in a different thread that the important thing is to educate our youth, and try to counteract the fear of guns that some school systems are trying to instill in them.
    -
    IMHO, the most important thing is not how you carry, but how you present yourself while you carry. Being polite, answering a question, or even just a polite smile when you see someone notice your gun can make a big difference. It doesn't mean you have to lose situational awareness. If you convert 2 people, and they tell 2 friends etc. we can eventually stop the rampant liberal sickness that is effecting our country.

I'm not going to tell anyone here to get out and promote Oc or CC but it would be in our best interest to promote legal carry in our home states. If someone seems interested in you carrying, strike up a conversation and talk about the advantages of carrying. How much fun it is to shoot at the range. The camaraderie you have there. Lastly the sense of security of not having you and your families safety dependent on the cops showing up before you're injured or killed.
    If we could all just influence one person a week we could turn this backlash that's going on in some of these other states.
    ymmv
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

9. WRGAF...gejoslin, I had not a clue either 'til you piped-up! I didn't know you were such a worldly spirit!

9 pages on this thread. I bet the OP didn't expect such! I may understand the shopper's concern about OC, when approached by you, not knowing if a little old lady started screaming "He's got a gun, he's got a gun" somewhere in the store and LE was called. Good job talking to him.

I also know many cops, and every one of them are just regular Joes, and all approve of citizens carrying. If OC was allowed in AR, don't think I'd do it until the public shock of seeing sidearms wore off. 'til then, CC is just fine for me. Nobody knows. Well, nobody but the cops I know when we see each other in wally-world.

Most cops I know have a sense of humor, like the ones you hear about when CCers are stopped for speeding or some other reason like a tail light out. Cop: license and registration. CCer: Here, I've got a permit and I'm carrying. Cop: Me too!

Or Cop: license and registration. CCer: Here, I've got a permit and I'm carrying. Cop: You aren't going to shoot me, are you?

I really don't know how most cops deal with seeing and dealing with the bottom feeders they run into, and still maintain personal lives, unaffected by it, at least the ones I know.

I have a wonderful house in suburban Summerville, SC. My family is there, and there is little crime, mostly stupid teenager stuff. Thanks to the joys of military service I am working in Portsmouth VA. Since I already have a mortgage, bills etc. in SC, I had to look for the "cheap" in VA and live in Norfolk. I don't live in the best neighborhood, and the local gun shop (http://www.bobsgunshop.com/list.php) is not in the best neighborhood either. I have a membership there and can shoot whenever I want for just the price of ammo (if I choose to buy it there) so I go frequently. It is an old establishment (1945) that offers 3 floors for gun and accessory sales, ammo and safes, and a range/Glock-shop/gunsmith. Anyway, it's one stop shopping.
    -
    Since I frequent the joint (right on my route from work to home)I have been able to observe a lot. There is an amazing cross-section of society represented there, from people that I would "keep an eye on" if I saw them carrying in public to cops, businessmen, military, dad's and kids, women's shooting clubs, grandma, teens not old enough to CC but can OC, etc.
    -
    My point - just because of a little gun shop with a friendly staff, the culture of guns is strong here, even in a run-down trying to lift itself by the bootstraps community. It's like a little oasis in the city where everyone talks to each other, and ideas are exchanged regarding guns/ammo etc. If I am just practicing with my CC guns, I often get in conversations simply because I don't show up with a gun on the hip or a gun bag (coming straight from work I can't OC). When I go on weekends with my OC it's more "what do you shoot?"
    -
    So, a place like this you might have in your area needs to be supported. If you are in a "gun club" where everyone already thinks like you that is great, but doesn't advance the cause unless you get out there and show society that we aren't something to be feared.

11. WHODAT and GEJOSLIN. i haven't figured out the like yet but those were very good posts. Thanks

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast