Police being tested. - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Police being tested.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    -snip-
    I believe anyone who's trying to bait LE is the real culprit. -snip-
    If that is the case then when the cops use bait cars and fake prostitutes to bait citizens the real culprit is......... the cops?

Remember... the public legally baiting the cops is like the cops legally baiting the public because only a criminal, citizen criminal or criminal cop, will rise to the "bait" and take the "hook".

Like it or not... the police do NOT occupy some pedestal over and above the common man. Just as the police are a restraint upon the illegal actions of the common man so is the common man supposed to be a restraint upon the illegal actions of the police.

Not to mention blaming the person who is engaged in a legal activity for the illegal actions of a cop who hassles him is exactly the same backasswards logic of blaming the gun that shot an innocent instead of blaming the bad guy that pulled the trigger. You know... blaming the victim (or blaming the gun) for the illegal actions of the criminal.

I think the point being made is there is a difference between exercising a right and purposely trying to entrap a police officer. If the officer truly has the motivation to harass and infringe upon the rights of someone open carrying, said officer will do it whether they are "baited" or not. Open carry and go about your business, but don't purposely try to get arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    If that is the case then when the cops use bait cars and fake prostitutes to bait citizens the real culprit is......... the cops?

Remember... the public legally baiting the cops is like the cops legally baiting the public because only a criminal, citizen criminal or criminal cop, will rise to the "bait" and take the "hook".

Like it or not... the police do NOT occupy some pedestal over and above the common man. Just as the police are a restraint upon the illegal actions of the common man so is the common man supposed to be a restraint upon the illegal actions of the police.

Not to mention blaming the person who is engaged in a legal activity for the illegal actions of a cop who hassles him is exactly the same backasswards logic of blaming the gun that shot an innocent instead of blaming the bad guy that pulled the trigger. You know... blaming the victim (or blaming the gun) for the illegal actions of the criminal.
    In a word, yes. Certain LE activities in baiting people have been determined to be entrapment. Others like speed traps passed constitutional muster. Odd, considering entrapment and speed trap both contain the word root "trap."
    I did not blame a person involved in a legal activity. I merely educated some people on the differences in types of liability and the types of damages that can be recovered. If a LEO makes an honest mistake in his knowledge of the law and that results in a wrongful arrest there is little recourse. This is much different than a LEO who intentionally targets someone with intent to harm, injure or deprive someone of a right. People's right are violated by LE hundreds of times per day in America. All but a small number are not intended to harm someone but rather are based in lack of knowledge of the law. No punitive damages or large payouts will be made in such case. Purely a case of errors and omissions.
    Here's a good one... Last year my wife called me from a grocery store parking lot. She pulled-in, parked and fixed her hair. When she got out a police car had her blocked in. He was standing there. He accused her of parking crooked and suggested she may be on drugs or drunk. She doesn't drink or take drugs. She called me from the sene. I told her to shut-up and start her phone recorder. He administered a field sobriety test but wouldn't let her use her crutches. She had just undergone spinal surgery a month prior and needed the French crutches to walk. He asked about meds. She declined to answer. He advised her that she legally must tell him about certain meds. She refused. He asked if he could search the car. She told him to get a warrant and clammed-up again. I arrived with my best friend who's a criminal defense attorney. He took her phone recorder and went over to the patrol car....................... A few minutes later the officer walked over, apologized. Kind of sheepish. So what did my friend say to him? He advised him that she didn't drink or take drugs and that a DUI arrest would show she was clean. She would likely sue for harm to her reputation and record. Handcuffing her might result in injury; she had rotator cuff surgery six weeks prior. Same auto accident. He advised the officer he was in violation of civil rights law because he disallowed use of a walking device to a disabled person. She couldn't walk without it. Advised him that he may be violating the Americans With Disabilities Act. He played back the LEO advising that under the law she must disclose medications. The cop was a young guy and was very nice. He said he had called his superior who advised him to let her go. A little over-zealous. He told us he was suspicious because she was "quite evasive." My buddy barked "this is America, she has a right to be evasive."
    She wasn't harmed in any way. There were no damages. There was no lawsuit. There was no complaint to the department. Had he continued with an arrest after being advised of those things I woud have taken legal action. My wife is mad to this day but, hey, we've better thing to do than chase this young country-yokel of a cop for his lack of experience. And I'm normally a guy who doesn't take a crap without a lawyer. I was nice. I'm always nice... until the time comes to not be nice. Hence the attorney.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Well, that's a bad dog. Shoot him.
    Years ago I took over raising a drug-addicted niece. She didn't clean-up. Eventually she bit the hand that fed her. I filed charges. She went to jail.
    Sometimes with some people tough love is the only love they can really understand...eventually.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Your Pappy was right but he forgot to add:

"Locks and Laws only keep honest people honest, everyone else will do what the dam well want too" as long as we let them get away with it.

Touché...............................
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234