Open Carrying In Georgia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carrying In Georgia

1. Open Carrying In Georgia

I troll the forum here and have been an inactive poster for years. I moved to Georgia about 4 months ago and have been open carrying since I moved here. I have a PX4 Storm 9mm that sits on my hip all the time, everywhere I go.

Here are some of my experiences that I thought would be fun to share.

Pizza with the wife and family friends when two LEO come and and sat down right beside us. When they see my gun, they turn to me and say, "good on you, more people should carry!". That set the tone for my entire experiences here in GA and Atlanta in general. When I carry at the playground, at least one or two other fathers will approach me telling me that they are all conceal carrying and it usually starts some gun talk. I've had people stop me in Starbucks, Home Depot, Kroger and everywhere to chat about my gun. In 4 months, I've only had a couple of mildly negative experiences. I didn't realize it, but the Atlantic station area are is a no-gun zone and is privately owned. The security guy just asked me to tuck my gun and go about my way. Also, a McDonald's owner said they have corporate policy of no-guns, I'm not sure about that, but I was fine with it. I also had a lady at a completely different park ask me why I was carrying a gun, I asked her why she wasn't.

This last weekend I went to stone mountain and open carried with tons of LEO around for the memorial weekend. When I asked them if it was an issue they said to me that they can't even ask me anything about my open carry and when I said I noticed the No Weapons sign they said it doesn't apply to permit carries and even if you didn't have a permit they still couldn't ask you about your gun unless you were breaking the law in another way.

All in all, I carry everywhere and haven't experienced any real issues but GA is extremely pro-gun. Love it here!

I OC everywhere as well. I do want to clear up a few things though, just in case.

No Weapons sign they said it doesn't apply to permit carries
    You have to have a Georgia Weapons Carry License to carry outside your home, car or place of business... So if you're walking around OC in public, you have to have GWCL.

Also, the sign holds no legal weight as far as "You can't carry there" but they (managment) CAN ask you to leave, at that point you must, or face trespassing charges.

they said to me that they can't even ask me anything about my open carry
    They CAN ask... They can also ask how often you and your wife are intimate, or what ice cream flavor you prefer.. Key word is ASK....
    They CANNOT DEMAND you show a license, just because you are OC. Presence of a firearm is no longer PC or RAS (SB308).
    Most of us gun guys are pretty mixed in whether to "comply" with an officers REQUEST to show papers....I personally ask if I'm free to go/Am I being detained.. or I just smile and keep walking.

We have quite a few OC Meet and Greets around the Rome area, if you're nearby.

4. Thanks for the reply. I did have an out-of-state permit but now have the GWCL. Now I have a Utah, Arizona and Georgia permit. I should start a collection.

Quote Originally Posted by bluekatana View Post
    I OC everywhere as well. I do want to clear up a few things though, just in case.

You have to have a Georgia Weapons Carry License to carry outside your home, car or place of business... So if you're walking around OC in public, you have to have GWCL.

Also, the sign holds no legal weight as far as "You can't carry there" but they (managment) CAN ask you to leave, at that point you must, or face trespassing charges.

They CAN ask... They can also ask how often you and your wife are intimate, or what ice cream flavor you prefer.. Key word is ASK....
    They CANNOT DEMAND you show a license, just because you are OC. Presence of a firearm is no longer PC or RAS (SB308).
    Most of us gun guys are pretty mixed in whether to "comply" with an officers REQUEST to show papers....I personally ask if I'm free to go/Am I being detained.. or I just smile and keep walking.

We have quite a few OC Meet and Greets around the Rome area, if you're nearby.

5. One point, don't ask don't tell. When you ask if there's a problem or if it's okay you simply invite trouble. Just go about your business and leave well enough alone.

Quote Originally Posted by grovemonkey View Post

Also, a McDonald's owner said they have corporate policy of no-guns, I'm not sure about that, but I was fine with it.
    I would call BS on that one. Have him show you a copy of the corporate policy, and I bet the stammering will begin. He also may be confused about the policy as it relates to employees, and is transposing that on to customers. Most businesses have a no gun policy while on the clock. On the RARE occasion I've been forced into a Micky D's, I have been OC'ing with no issue. I carry a Govt 1911 which is hard to miss, so I'm sure it was seen. The last time I went in, they screwed up my order so bad I had to go back to the counter twice for them to fix it. Although I kept my composure, it made no secret that I was VERY displeased. Also some business managers try to pass on their fear of guns, and just make stuff up as they go along. Most people think well they're the manager so they must know better, and take their word for it. Any business can ask you to leave because of the gun, which is their right. Just remember you are not breaking any law. If this were ever to happen to me (hasn't ever happened) I would let them know, in no uncertain terms that I would take my business elsewhere and let others know about it too. Also if they ask you to "cover up", and you don't have a CPL on you they are essentially asking YOU to break the law. For some great OC info check out Open Carry dot org. OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

7. I prefer to error on the side of caution when I see things as unclear. If you'd rather not, that's fine. Thanks for the opinion.

8. I think the McDonald's guy was full of it. That said, I emailed McDonalds and still haven't received a reply. I'd like to know the formal stance from corporate. My internet searches didn't real anything formal.

Quote Originally Posted by grovemonkey View Post
    I think the McDonald's guy was full of it. That said, I emailed McDonalds and still haven't received a reply. I'd like to know the formal stance from corporate. My internet searches didn't real anything formal.
    I frequent the local McDonalds in KY while open carrying and never an issue. I call BS as well.

One always gets a happy meal. The other gets mcnuggets and the dog gets a plain cheeseburger.
    I get subway LOL
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

Can an out of state permit holder OC in GA?

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    Can an out of state permit holder OC in GA?
    from what i was reading, as long as the state they have a permit in has reciprocity with GA. you are following GA's rules at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast