Positive Inquiry - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by rkleaman View Post
    If you try the public stunt of an open carry in North Carolina, it is more than likely that you will be charged with "going armed to bring terror to the people". This will happen even if you have a valid Concealed Carry Permit. If you have CCP and you intend to carry in North Carolina, keep your hand gun where it is supposed to be, concealed.
    This is the most uninformed, untrue post I have read in this forum. I have been open carrying in Fayetteville NC for the past 5 years with no problem at all. To be charged with GATTTOTP certain criteria must be met and a person with a holstered weapon does not meet it. I carry all around the state with no problem and have not had a negative encounter. Carry concealed if you want to with permission from the state. Or dont. Read state vs huntley.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

3. I live in an OC state but prefer to CC. In a tough situation I want the element of surprise to be on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by gbad6255 View Post
    I live in an OC state but prefer to CC. In a tough situation I want the element of surprise to be on my side.
    Your rather have surprise than deterrence?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I live in an OC state but prefer to CC. In a tough situation I want the element of surprise to be on my side.
    I for the most part don't like CC, there is no "element" of surprise. "Hey mister give me your wallet!" (BG pointing gun at me with no visible weapon). "OK, let me get my gun out of hiding first so I can "surprise" you!". OC option: BG1 to BG2 "Hey man let's go rob somebody else that is weak, and unarmed". BG's are inherently lazy, and have no desire for anything close to a fair fight.

About that "element of surprise" thing..........

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

7. In the case of a one on one assault I would agree that OC would be a deterrent over CC. However, and I don't know if there are stats on this, in a group attack such as store or bank robbery, would an OC be the first target as a way of removing their threat, ie the security guard always seems to get shot.

In the case of a one on one assault I would agree that OC would be a deterrent over CC. However, and I don't know if there are stats on this, in a group attack such as store or bank robbery, would an OC be the first target as a way of removing their threat, ie the security guard always seems to get shot.
    If open carry prevented the attack, how would you know? I have heard of interviews with criminals who decided not to rob because of open carry personnel present.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

In the case of a one on one assault I would agree that OC would be a deterrent over CC. However, and I don't know if there are stats on this, in a group attack such as store or bank robbery, would an OC be the first target as a way of removing their threat, ie the security guard always seems to get shot.
    If the civilian (not a uniformed officer of some sort) OC'er were to be the "first target" wouldn't the media be having a field day reporting on it? Wouldn't the media harp on it for at least 6 months? When was the last time you heard about an actual incident where the OC'er was "shot first"?

I'll take a guess and say that since we aren't hearing about it.. then it isn't happening often enough to even show up on the media's radar.

But then... if you (or anyone else and yes that is a challenge to all and sundry who keep yapping about OC'ers being "shot first") has cites and/or links to actual factual researchable incidents where the OC'er was "shot first" in a number large enough to be anything other than a rarity (remember your paltry few incidents must compare to decades of open carry without incident in just one State... Arizona... in order to be anything actually worthwhile) then post those cites and/or links.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rkleaman View Post
    If you try the public stunt of an open carry in North Carolina, it is more than likely that you will be charged with "going armed to bring terror to the people". This will happen even if you have a valid Concealed Carry Permit. If you have CCP and you intend to carry in North Carolina, keep your hand gun where it is supposed to be, concealed.
    What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" don't you get? Do everyone a favor and keep your opinions to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    This is the most uninformed, untrue post I have read in this forum. I have been open carrying in Fayetteville NC for the past 5 years with no problem at all. To be charged with GATTTOTP certain criteria must be met and a person with a holstered weapon does not meet it. I carry all around the state with no problem and have not had a negative encounter. Carry concealed if you want to with permission from the state. Or dont. Read state vs huntley.
    The only place in NC I've heard about that CC or OC is not a good idea in "Cary" and Wake county. Most of what I hear about OC/CC in NC is very positive.

The only "element of surprise" a CCer is likely experience in a confrontation will be the "surprise" of a BG sticking a gun in their face before they have time to do anything. (Then, they will understand that the "element of surprise" is NOT a "defensive" tactic.)

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast