3 confrontations in a single evening - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 confrontations in a single evening

Once again not only has Elvis left the building, but the train has left the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
    In no way do I feel limited in my options. Open carry *is* an option to me, and I have no problems with open carrying. I am not saying that you guys down south should open carry when it is hot, it is your choice, not mine.

With that said, the next gun I purchase will most likely be the S&W Shield with an IWB holster so I have even more options. I currently carry a full-size M&P 40 (admittedly not ideal for CC)

Thanks for the advice.
    I think your first and second comment there are completely opposite. I was assuming (yeah I know) that you probably had a bigger gun, and that CC in an area of cooler temps might mean having clothes that cover an OWB holster most of the time. This was simply from the statement that you didn't want to wear extra clothes so that you could CC. Not knowing your experience, I just wanted to give you something to consider so you had more options. Not trying to start an argument.
    -
    Your second sentence was exactly what I was aiming for. Some places don't allow OC, Some people don't prefer OC, and not everyone has 20 guns to choose from. If every state allowed OC, there would probably be fewer discussions about "what's the smallest caliber for self defense?" Warmer climates and states that don't allow OC are probably the biggest market for sub-compact and pocket guns, and finding something that is small enough but still able to do the job is more of a concern in FL than it would be in Maine. There probably wouldn't be as big of a search for the "perfect" holster either.
    -
    There was no "hate" intended and I could have used a better word than "problem" to express concern over the possibility of the weather limiting your options for carry.

4. Another encounter this evening. He was a fellow carrier, not openly carrying at the time, just saying "well done, more of us need to open carry". We talked for a bit and exchanged some pleasantries before parting ways.

I have to admit though, the level of attention that I am getting this past week or two is well above anything I have experienced in the 3 years in which I have been OC'ing. I do not think the new holster is the cause, something else has placed our carry-guns higher on the general public's 'radar' and it is being noticed more. I believe it is a good thing... others may not (to each his own).

Today I will admit the level of attention could become an annoyance to some. While I have no problem with a certain level of attention from it, I'm not sure I want to be stopped and talked too every time I step out the front door. Sure, none have been negative encounters, but at some point you just want to be left alone right? I'm not there yet, but I might be in a few more encounters. Maybe before then the weather will have cooled and I can put on a button-up or jacket.

PS - By the way, this guy didn't lecture me or get overly sensitive that I was carrying at 3 o'clock and not his preferred position, or that his gun was better, or his beliefs were better... he just smiled and shared pleasantries. Maybe if more guys on this very forum could treat each other with a little less hostility and elitism, the general public would treat us all a little better too. Something to think about eh?

... for me.

5. I guess it is something for me to think about. I've seen another person open carrying unexpectedly and approached them and exchanged pleasantries while I was also open carrying, and it was obviously the common wearing of the guns that initiated the contact. He didn't seem annoyed by the contact and we talked for a couple minutes, but I have times when I just want to follow Walter's advice, "Welcome to WalMart get your &^#$ and get out!" and I am sure others do to. I don't know, seems like we have gotten away from friendly encounters with strangers in general and more and more are moving towards negative only interactions.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I don't know, seems like we have gotten away from friendly encounters with strangers in general and more and more are moving towards negative only interactions.
    I think that is highly dependent on the region of the country you are in. Slightly off topic, but I am from NOLA and moved to a rural area east of Atlanta in the late 70's. When we were driving down the road to our new house, a man waved as we passed and my dad waved back. I asked "who was that?". Having never seen a random stranger wave and smile I assumed it had to be someone he knew. Some regions are just inherently more friendly, and some more stand-offish. As has been stated in other posts, people in some places are more prone to use the words "sir" or "ma'am" than others.
    -
    I think that what the country needs is a little more interaction. Our present regime is divisive enough. If it takes guns to generate a civil conversation with strangers then so be it. IMHO The "it's all about me" mentality is much more in tune with the "entitlement" mentality. We actually had charities and community help organizations well before they were government funded and/or used as tax write-offs. What changed? The gub'ment saw it as a way to get votes and has screwed it up ever since.

Today I will admit the level of attention could become an annoyance to some. While I have no problem with a certain level of attention from it, I'm not sure I want to be stopped and talked too every time I step out the front door.
    I’ve posted this before and people usually get upset when I do but I don’t care to be approached by random strangers; in fact I go out of my way to avoid it. I’m really not a people person, I don’t enjoy engaging in random conversations with strangers and I tend to get annoyed when it happens.

That’s probably my primary reason for not OCing even though I have no objection to others doing so
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

8. Treo, It is probably going to be the reason I limit the times I OC myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the occasional chat with a stranger in public, no matter the topic, but it may become too much of a burden if it continues to escalate at this rate.

I will change my tune in a heart beat if it were to bring on more impromptu conversations with the female-type. Hmmm, maybe a bedazzled holster would accomplish that? <joke>

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Lightbulb

Three encounters in less than an hour. All three were polite, respectful, and genuinely fine with the fact I was carrying. No one in Walmart ran out screaming when I walked in. The business owners here in town do not fear me or my gun. Even the shadier side of society seem to think it is cool..
    I had yet another '0' encounter's/confrontation's in an entire afternoon of carrying my 'concealed' Glock 27 yesterday.
    I was carrying at a very crowded all you can eat buffet, the local Walmart, the mall and in the park also.
    No one ran out screaming, the business owner's & employees don't fear me or my 'concealed' handgun and even the 'shadier' side of society is blissfully unaware of my sidearm (whether they would think it's cool or not).

I prefer to keep it that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YhpauKGgQ4

"Keep it secret, Keep it safe". ~Gandalf~
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

10. Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    I had yet another '0' encounter's/confrontation's in an entire afternoon of carrying my 'concealed' Glock 27 yesterday.
    I was carrying at a very crowded all you can eat buffet, the local Walmart, the mall and in the park also.
    No one ran out screaming, the business owner's & employees don't fear me or my 'concealed' handgun and even the 'shadier' side of society is blissfully unaware of my sidearm (whether they would think it's cool or not).

I prefer to keep it that way.

"Keep it secret, Keep it safe". ~Gandalf~
    I've had many, many afternoons of the same experience while open carrying. Crowded buffets, Wal Mart, parks, SEA-TAC International Airport, state offices while registering vehicles, insurance offices, credit union. No one ran out screaming, the business owner's & employees don't fear me or my openly carried handgun and even the 'shadier' side of society left me completely alone. My state allows me to legally open carry my firearm and I prefer to keep it that way. By far the biggest difference between open carry and concealed carry is on which side of the gun the shirt or pants is worn.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I've had many, many afternoons of the same experience while open carrying. Crowded buffets, Wal Mart, parks, SEA-TAC International Airport, state offices while registering vehicles, insurance offices, credit union. No one ran out screaming, the business owner's & employees don't fear me or my openly carried handgun and even the 'shadier' side of society left me completely alone. My state allows me to legally open carry my firearm and I prefer to keep it that way. By far the biggest difference between open carry and concealed carry is on which side of the gun the shirt or pants is worn.
    Yes...
    But mine is a 'secret' and your's is 'not' a secret.
    Big difference imvho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YhpauKGgQ4
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast