3 confrontations in a single evening
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 confrontations in a single evening

1. 3 confrontations in a single evening

First, I am in Colorado (Boulder County). I do have a CCW and do Conceal Carry when weather permits. This week, it is simply too hot to wear any additional clothing then needed.

The Ex-wife and I needed some groceries, so down the street we go to our local Super Walmart. I have OC'd in this Walmart for years and never had an issue. After picking up a few items, I separated from my Ex to grab a gallon of milk while she continued browsing the sausages (no dirty jokes). She was immediately confronted by another woman who whispered to her, "Is he an undercover cop?". The Ex, who is used to the fact that I carry, didn't understand the question at first, but realized that the gun on my belt was the real subject of the question. So, she replied, "No, he watches over me" at which time the other woman replied, "how cool!". I was informed a minute later when I returned.

After Walmart I was off to pickup a Six-pack from the liquor store (don't ask why I couldn't get it at Walmart, silly Colorado law). Upon exiting the vehicle a semi-shady looking guy was already on approach to me to ask for some spare change. I gave him a smile, but he quickly gave me a wide berth anyway. After we were separated by 20 feet he asked, "is that a real gun?" and I gave him an affirmative reply. "You can carry that here?" and I gave him another affirmative. His final comment was "cool!" while I entered the door of the liquor store.

In this store, one I frequent often while OC'ing, I was greeting by the owners daughter, then wife, and then the owner himself stuck his head out from his office and also greeted me (you see why I go there?). After making my purchase, the owner asked if he could have a word with me. We stepped outside and he asked about his own rights to have a gun in his store. He does have a CCW himself, but feared that he could not legally OC now that he got a CCW permit. I made sure to ask this very question to my Basic Pistol instructor during my class and passed on that answer to the store owner (he was still free to OC with a CCW, including in his own business).

Three encounters in less than an hour. All three were polite, respectful, and genuinely fine with the fact I was carrying. No one in Walmart ran out screaming when I walked in. The business owners here in town do not fear me or my gun. Even the shadier side of society seem to think it is cool.

-------------------

PS - A week ago a neighbor's girl (about 10-years old) also confronted me. She was cute when she asked, "Are you a cop?" in which I met her eyes and replied, "No ma'am". "Do you have a license for that?" she asked. "In this state, I do not need a license, but I do have one anyway". She simply responded with an "OK", smiled, and walked away. Gotta love kids... no fear at all.

Ok, the first question on my mind is probably a bit off topic, but curious. How is it you hang with your Ex to buy groceries?
    You can have good intentions and not be right.

I'd call those "encounters," not confrontations. The latter term implies anger or danger. Glad you had the chances to educate folks!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bigcarlover View Post
    Ok, the first question on my mind is probably a bit off topic, but curious. How is it you hang with your Ex to buy groceries?
    We have a child together so that connection ties us together for life. We deal with each other for our child. We actually still have dinner together (the three of us) quite frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob
    I'd call those "encounters," not confrontations...
    I agree, I will choose the correct term next time :)

Quote Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
    After Walmart I was off to pickup a Six-pack from the liquor store (don't ask why I couldn't get it at Walmart, silly Colorado law).
    Which silly Colorado law?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

7. I buy my wife's wine at two close Wally-Worlds. I don't drink, but it is handy to pick-up everything at one stop.

I'm glad those encounters were pleasant! Have often wondered what to say if someone caught a brief glimpse of my sidearm while I'm reaching or squatting for stuff. Guess I'll know when it happens!

We have no OC in Arkansas, so CC has to be followed. I've worn some very light cover garments at times, but never was asked about printing. I wear no see-through garments, so that is probably my saving grace.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Which silly Colorado law?
    In Colorado, only full fledged liquor stores can sell full-alcohol beer. Walmart, and other grocery stores have 3% beer (3% alcohol). Not a huge hassle, and honestly I like giving my money to the mom-n-pops place anyway, but a silly law nonetheless.

Do you like all the attention your sidearm brings to you?

10. I wear my sidearm for protection, not attention.

Quote Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
    I wear my sidearm for protection, not attention.
    I understand that concept however it obviously garners attention. I guess I was looking for an honest answer.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast