First Time Open Carry - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    I live in Texas where open carry is not yet legal (but we are working on it). A couple of weeks ago I had business in Phoenix, Arizona and took my Glock with me. Knowing that Arizona is one of the friendliest open carry states in the nation, I decided to go ahead and do it...meaning open carry. One of the factors was that it was 110 degrees out and I was dressed in attire that would not conceal. When dressed like that I usually have to conceal in my backpack which is less than ideal.
    I will have to say that I was very nervous although I knew it was legal. I did not want to have to call back to work to say I was in jail because some uninformed, ambitious cop hauled me in. Although legal, no one ever said one would never have to experience the judicial system! I went into a Wal-Mart, two restaurants and then conjured up enough courage to stroll into a convenience store. It was really nice to experience open carry especially in that heat. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised but I was amazed that no one seemed to even look in my direction. I purposed to carry on about my business as though I've been doing it forever which may have caused me to escape notice. Who knows...
    Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience of first time open carry and thank the fine folks in Arizona for allowing me to do it there.
    Cowbilly32,

You will find that the more you open carry, the more comfortable it becomes. It's very similar to when you first started to conceal carry and the more you did it, the more "natural" it felt to when you get to the point that when you're NOT carrying, you feel naked!!

Congratulations on your open carry experience.

AD

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    In Florida we can't open carry, but in October I'll be spending 4 days in Virginia. I plan on giving it a try while I'm there.
    Lakeland Man,

Well, that's not quite true. You can open carry in Florida (I do it daily) but there are limitations, of course.

Florida statute 790.25(3)(h) and (j) are the relevant statutes in case you need to check them out.

In my case I shoot or fish pretty much every day so I'm open carrying a lot and most of the travel time is on a motorcycle so the visibility is there.

AD (open carry advocate and daily practitioner)

4. NavyLCDR, I was reading the exchange in one of the other threads and can't understand why some can't just accept an answer as given, and not have to have everything nit picked to death.

I am from Texas (exiled in OK, for the time being, ya goes where the jobs are) and was visiting my daughter and her family in Ft. Worth. We took the grandkids to the Cabela's just off I-35W, and was using one of the courtsey carts provided. As mentioned before, OK just passed OC and since TX hasn't I had mine under my shirt. Not realizing it, when I sat down, the tail of my shirt had come up and hooked on the grip of my SR9c. One gentleman walked over and very politely and quitely mentioned it to me.

Many of the people seem to get all up in arms (no pun intended) about someone carrying a weapon, and it's definately nice to have one who just wants to help someone to stay out of trouble.

I enjoy reading the posts you send, and hope to read more in the future.

Keep Checking Six!

So, the CC'ers admit that their SA is down compared to us OC'ers!

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    So, the CC'ers admit that their SA is down compared to us OC'ers!
    I've been touching on that point a lot recently. B-)
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience of first time open carry and thank the fine folks in Arizona for allowing me to do it there.
    You're welcome Cowbilly. Glad you enjoyed the "FREEDOM" experience of our great state, come back anytime.

~ Yesterdays Prophecies-Today Headlines ~
    It Is Appointed Onto Man Once To Die, And After That To Face Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    You just know I can't let this dog lay down. "So, the CC'ers admit that their SA is down compared to us OC'ers!" NEVER said that, what I did say was “I do notice that my senses are heightened (if that's possible) concerning those in close proximity around me when I do OC.”
    +
    I'll simplify it for you.......IF ya got your thing in your hand, out there for everybody to see or is it zip up?........ Ya gotta grasp on the concept now?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    You just know I can't let this dog lay down. "So, the CC'ers admit that their SA is down compared to us OC'ers!" NEVER said that, what I did say was “I do notice that my senses are heightened (if that's possible) concerning those in close proximity around me when I do OC.”
    +
    I'll simplify it for you.......IF ya got your thing in your hand, out there for everybody to see or is it zip up?........ Ya gotta grasp on the concept now?
    If your senses are "heightened" when you OC... then your senses aren't as "heightened" when you CC. And the level of situational awareness depends on the level that your senses are "heightened".

So even if your senses are just a little bit "heightened" when you OC above when you CC then...

....When you CC your situational awareness IS LESS than when you OC.

If there is any difference... any difference at all... no matter how small... concerning your level of awareness (level your senses are "heightened") when you OC as opposed to CC then your situational awareness is lower when you CC than when you OC.

Doesn't matter what the reason is for your senses to be "heightened" (feeling self conscious because your sidearm is exposed perhaps?)... all that is necessary is for a higher level of awareness when OCing to make it a lower level of awareness when CCing.

10. I oc'ed the other day,first time in a right good while.went to wal-mart,nothing unusual at all happened

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    +
    Refer to bikenuts post.

Your post only said what happened when you oc, so....here's a simple question to clarify, are your senses as heightened about those in proximity when you cc?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast