First Time Open Carry
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Open Carry

First Time Open Carry

I live in Texas where open carry is not yet legal (but we are working on it). A couple of weeks ago I had business in Phoenix, Arizona and took my Glock with me. Knowing that Arizona is one of the friendliest open carry states in the nation, I decided to go ahead and do it...meaning open carry. One of the factors was that it was 110 degrees out and I was dressed in attire that would not conceal. When dressed like that I usually have to conceal in my backpack which is less than ideal.
    I will have to say that I was very nervous although I knew it was legal. I did not want to have to call back to work to say I was in jail because some uninformed, ambitious cop hauled me in. Although legal, no one ever said one would never have to experience the judicial system! I went into a Wal-Mart, two restaurants and then conjured up enough courage to stroll into a convenience store. It was really nice to experience open carry especially in that heat. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised but I was amazed that no one seemed to even look in my direction. I purposed to carry on about my business as though I've been doing it forever which may have caused me to escape notice. Who knows...
    Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience of first time open carry and thank the fine folks in Arizona for allowing me to do it there.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

Amazing how all those stories you hear about in the anti-open carry discussions just don't happen in real life, ain't it? :-). Glad you got to try it out and experience it for yourself!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    I live in Texas where open carry is not yet legal (but we are working on it). A couple of weeks ago I had business in Phoenix, Arizona and took my Glock with me. Knowing that Arizona is one of the friendliest open carry states in the nation, I decided to go ahead and do it...meaning open carry. One of the factors was that it was 110 degrees out and I was dressed in attire that would not conceal. When dressed like that I usually have to conceal in my backpack which is less than ideal.
    I will have to say that I was very nervous although I knew it was legal. I did not want to have to call back to work to say I was in jail because some uninformed, ambitious cop hauled me in. Although legal, no one ever said one would never have to experience the judicial system! I went into a Wal-Mart, two restaurants and then conjured up enough courage to stroll into a convenience store. It was really nice to experience open carry especially in that heat. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised but I was amazed that no one seemed to even look in my direction. I purposed to carry on about my business as though I've been doing it forever which may have caused me to escape notice. Who knows...
    Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience of first time open carry and thank the fine folks in Arizona for allowing me to do it there.
    Surprising isn't it? Well at least at first...now it's surprising when I do get any attention.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I OC in Clovis, NM. a lot of the time, and hardly ever get a second look. Clovis is a small town, and OC orCC is pretty much the same. We all know who carries here anyway. LOL
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

In Florida we can't open carry, but in October I'll be spending 4 days in Virginia. I plan on giving it a try while I'm there.

Open carry every day.
    1 out of 100 (guesstimate) notice or say anything about it.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    Welcome to Arizona. I'm glad you enjoyed our fine state. OC is pretty common around here.

I thought you went to Hell for open carrying.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

10. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I thought you went to Hell for open carrying.
    No, they send you to Phoenix in the summer time for open carrying. Hell is about 12 degrees cooler most days.

Congrats, isn't OC great and COMFORTABLE? Nothing better than being in a pro gun state. I've always said TX isn't half as gun friendly as people think it is. Good luck to you guys getting that straightened out. Hopefully soon.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast