For you Vermont residents - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For you Vermont residents

No surprise it's Rutland, their known to be anti, I can see them stopping him to talk to him quickly if there were actually a report of shots fired in the area but handcuffing him and throwing him in the back of a cruiser? c'mon. I hate the inconsistancies in different cities and towns. It's like in my home state of MA, open carry is 100% legal, but do it in a town that's not used to seeing it and get ready for hell!

When LEO's detain you for questioning they would not handcuff you. unless the arrest is imminent, when they question you they ask you to submit to questioning, if you refuse, they have to let you go or arrest you. you have an out if there was on probable cause that the courts might have to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasraa View Post
    When LEO's detain you for questioning they would not handcuff you.
    They can also legally cuff you without placing you under arrest for "officer safety" if you are presenting a threat. However, it must have been a liberal cop that hates seeing guns in the hands of the public to define "having a gun" as being a threat.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Dasraa View Post
    When LEO's detain you for questioning they would not handcuff you. unless the arrest is imminent, when they question you they ask you to submit to questioning, if you refuse, they have to let you go or arrest you. you have an out if there was on probable cause that the courts might have to clarify.
    This is absolutely wrong information. LEO's can handcuff for many reasons that do not involve an arrest... officer safety, safety of the detainee are but just two.

Also, if there were others around that would influence Severance in speaking freely, I can surely see the officer putting him in the car.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

At the end of the video Serverance states that an officer ask him if he was aware of a shooting incident the other night. SO, this was not an active incident for the police and didn't warrant extreme caution with any and every citizen that appeared armed.
    ~
    What criminal is going to walk past a cruiser with police standing by with his weapon exposed for them to see, especially when simply putting on his shirt would have lessened the officers ability to see it.
    ~
    Being cautious is one thing, we all practice this everyday. Being over protective is something else and as parents and spouses we too are guilty. Being over barring and over stepping your bounds legally is an entirely different problem and one that must be addressed every time it happens.
    ~
    The young man seems determined to stand his ground and I wish him well.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I'm happy for your feelings, but there is a legal difference between being detained and being under arrest. At this point, with the information given in the article, it does not seem like anything was done wrong.

I'll be the first to admit wrong doing when it is evident, but that's the problem, we have a two-line description from the OP of what happened that lacks many details and the article provided specifically says Severance was not arrested even though the title of the article says he was. That seems confusing to me, therefore I've asked if I'm missing something.
    blacks Law Dictionary defines arrest as "To keep a person in lawful custody." Once handcuffed you are in lawful custody. You are not free to go.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

8. When/if a cop lays hands on me, he'd better have a damned good reason. If the fuzz wants to talk to me, present the questions in a civil manner and I'll answer those to which answers are required by law. Being handcuffed for no reason other than as a show of force in the "interest of officer safety" doesn't fly.

Maybe one of our resident LEO's can explain how being handcuffed, locked in a police car,or stripped of my weapon is supposed to be useful for "protecting my safety." It seems to me that they are protecting THEIR safety. The price for their feelings of well being seems to be the treatment of lowly civilians like button men from Columbia. Clearly, this is not everybody. The OHP(Oklahoma) and Texas DPS are well known for their professionalism.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12