For you Vermont residents
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For you Vermont residents

Chief

“In this situation,” the chief said, “you have someone walking around with no shirt and wearing a gun in a neighborhood where there have been three reports of shots fired recently.”
    What do you think? Are police overstepping their role more and more often?
    Shots fired recently? How recently? I could understand if here was an active shooter reported but if the shots were heard on another day this is wrong. There's a disturbing trend across America whereby police are acting in a manner inconsistent with the law. This must be stopped and a lawsuit speaks volumes for future encounters. I don't personally like OC but it' legal and if someone chooses o do so their rights and the law must be respected.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Maybe I missed something, but it only seemed like Severance was detained and not arrested. Being put in handcuffs does not an arrest make. If shots were fired in the area a short time ago and along comes someone with a firearm, I can see the police detaining that person and then letting them go once they check out.

The article title says arrested, but the article itself says, "you are not under arrest".

If I missed something, please show me. Thanks.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I personally would like to echo BC1's question and find out how "recently" those shots were fired. If it was that day that's one thing. If it was that month there are problems.

Also, if someone is merely exercizing their rights in a lawful manner then why is there a reason to even detain them? Because he had no shirt? It's summer! If there was no threat, why not just say "hey buddy, we've had reports of shots fired in this neighborhood, do you know anything about it?" You have a civil conversation. There was no way to prove whether "reported" shots came from his gun anyway unless they had recovered bullets or casings and could compare them to his gun.
    Chief

We found a beer can in the gutter, so now we are stopping all driver's going by to check them for dui....
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. I might prefer to be in the back of the car as opposed to having my boss, mother-in-law or someone else drive by and see me cuffed out on the street. But, having said that, it's also reasonable to suppose that violence in a neighborhood would cause both cops and citizens some concern, and that the citizens might feel safer armed. I suppose the important and missing info is what happened in that patrol car and how long it took.

I can't link to it on my iTouch but there is another thread here that includes a video and more information.
    It's under the heading of "LEO Encounters" , Vermont resident....

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but it only seemed like Severance was detained and not arrested. Being put in handcuffs does not an arrest make. If shots were fired in the area a short time ago and along comes someone with a firearm, I can see the police detaining that person and then letting them go once they check out.

The article title says arrested, but the article itself says, "you are not under arrest".

If I missed something, please show me. Thanks.
    My best friend, a criminal defense attorney once asked me at point I feel I would be under arrest. I said when LE tells me so. The answer was "no matter what the cop says or doesn't say consider yourself under arrest when your freedom is taken away... handcuffs."
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Also a Vermonter here. I do carry, either open or CC. Tho the police acted 'stupidly' (time for a beer summit??), Rutland VT has a big drug trafficing problem. Most of the state is OK, but I would always CC in Rutland. Just too edgy there.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    My best friend, a criminal defense attorney once asked me at point I feel I would be under arrest. I said when LE tells me so. The answer was "no matter what the cop says or doesn't say consider yourself under arrest when your freedom is taken away... handcuffs."
    I'm happy for your feelings, but there is a legal difference between being detained and being under arrest. At this point, with the information given in the article, it does not seem like anything was done wrong.

I'll be the first to admit wrong doing when it is evident, but that's the problem, we have a two-line description from the OP of what happened that lacks many details and the article provided specifically says Severance was not arrested even though the title of the article says he was. That seems confusing to me, therefore I've asked if I'm missing something.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast