Washington Open Carrier Awarded $15k Settlement After Cop Drew Gun on Him - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Washington Open Carrier Awarded $15k Settlement After Cop Drew Gun on Him

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    ...it's a LOT smarter to use diplomacy.
    How do you define 'smarter'?

If you're having a diplomatic discussion with an officer and you stutter or make a seemingly conflicting statement, which might mean you're drunk or on drugs, he can arrest you. There isn't a judge in the world that will not give the officer the benefit of the doubt in such a scenario. In other words, the judge is going to err on the side of caution against an armed drunk.

"Am I being detained? No? Have a nice day officer."

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Considering that the story mentions that there were multiple witnesses ("some other residents in the park"), John would have been justified in pulling his weapon the instant he saw the idiot cop reaching for his, and those witnesses would likely support that justification just like in the real scenario when they supported John against the idiot cop.

I would not have tried to out-draw the idiot either, and am glad John didn't, but especially while on foot in a park, where I may well have not been able to see a patrol unit that he drove there in, the costume would have meant nothing to me. If I know the law as well as Navy says John knew WA's laws, I know I'm perfectly legal, and I'm under no obligation to refrain from a self-defense shooting than if my opponent was a guy in tennis shoes and a T-shirt pulling a gun on me while only 6 or 7 inches "away" from me.

Like I said, I'm glad John had the wherewithal to maintain a low-key, non-threatening demeanor about him, but when I see folks, gun owners and 2A proponents no less, saying that his perfectly legal walk with his dog while open carrying was so lacking in "manners," so egregious an invitation to confrontation with LE, that the law-abiding-citizen is blamed for the incident rather than the moron who pulled a gun on him for no legal reason whatsoever, I feel compelled to point out that it could've gone much worse for that idiot cop than simply having a reprimand on his record attached to a $15,000 payout that his actions cost his city, and John would've been well within his rights if that had been the way it went down.

I feel compelled also to say that, instead of "discretion being the better part of valor" as it applies to John, the law abiding citizen, the valorous discretion by the officer to use a bit of introspection and realize that he's not well-suited for the line of work he chose for himself would be best displayed by a heartfelt apology to his department and The People of Bellingham being attached to his Letter of Resignation.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

4. Unfortunately, though, whenever a cop gets shot, the whole entire police force for several communities around will rally together to bring the shooter "to justice", regardless of the circumstances under which the police officer was shot.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Unfortunately, though, whenever a cop gets shot, the whole entire police force for several communities around will rally together to bring the shooter "to justice", regardless of the circumstances under which the police officer was shot.
    Which is pretty much the reason I said I'm glad John kept his cool. Another reason is that I always prefer to see a potentially deadly situation calm down without anyone getting hurt or killed. John did yeoman's work in going beyond his part to make sure that happened. I wasn't criticizing him at all, nor am I saying now that you said I was, I was just scrutinizing the situation and stating a possible outcome where the cop's illegal actions put John in a justified position to exercise his rights to self-defense. Still glad his cooler head prevailed though.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

6. I hope the cop got fired. Most cops know nothing of the Constitution and they don't protect and serve anymore. Nowadays it seems they are trained to Harass and Revenue generate.

THE REAL CAPTAIN JACK Guest
    Oklahoma requires the permit holder to present id to the leo during any "routine" detainment, or traffic stop. But the flip side is that all of the officers are well trained on the subject in Ok. They see the permit and are cool about it during traffic stops, and I have had nothing but positive remarks from leo's on the the street.

Sent from my LG-E970 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by THE REAL CAPTAIN JACK View Post
    Oklahoma requires the permit holder to present id to the leo during any "routine" detainment, or traffic stop. But the flip side is that all of the officers are well trained on the subject in Ok. They see the permit and are cool about it during traffic stops, and I have had nothing but positive remarks from leo's on the the street.

Sent from my LG-E970 using USA Carry mobile app
    Washington does not require a permission slip to open carry.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Bellingham seems to play buy its own rules this is not the first time. I strongly believe that Internal Affairs decisions need to be made by citizens without any prior law enforcement background. It is too often the fox guarding the hen house type of thing.

Go Seahawks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123