National Parks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Parks?

National Parks?

Is open carry allowed in National Parks? Mostly I find stuff about concealed carry, but I've found conflicting information on open carry. Mostly people saying that it's up to the park rangers because they have jurisdiction there... That sounded kind of odd, since it's still a "National" park, but you never know. Should I just call up all the parks I intend to visit, or is there some resource or guideline I've missed? Open carry would be very convenient while hiking...

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    Is open carry allowed in National Parks? Mostly I find stuff about concealed carry, but I've found conflicting information on open carry. Mostly people saying that it's up to the park rangers because they have jurisdiction there... That sounded kind of odd, since it's still a "National" park, but you never know. Should I just call up all the parks I intend to visit, or is there some resource or guideline I've missed? Open carry would be very convenient while hiking...
    the laws of the state the park is in determines the way you can carry. the rangers should not be making up their own rules, whomever it was that told you that tale is clueless

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the laws of the state the park is in determines the way you can carry. the rangers should not be making up their own rules, whomever it was that told you that tale is clueless
    That's what I thought...

Blog Entries
    Carry rules in N.P. = Carry rules for the state the park is located in. If it's an OC state it's an OC park. If its a CC state it's a CC park.
    I asked the same thing a bit ago you can find the responses here: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...-question.html
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

Blog Entries
    But don't carry in the buildings (i.e. Visitor Centers, etc.) because it is technically a Fed. building... unless you CC then no one is the wiser.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    Not only that, it is a violation of Federal law for rangers to be making up their own rules :-)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I suggest you carry a copy of that law with you. My experience with rangers in Yellowstone the last few years have been remarkably unpleasant. I go to the park at least twice a year to fish (sometimes I take relatives sightseeing but if so they have to endure me fishing a substantial part of the time). I've been doing that for nearly 60 yrs. In the last 15 yrs or so the rangers have evolved from helpful friendly rangers to men that see the public as enemies of the park, to be treated with great suspicion. Go "loaded for bear" grouchy rangers that is. Have your documentation ready, including appropriate state law. You may be in Wyoming or Montana. Have fun.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    I suggest you carry a copy of that law with you. My experience with rangers in Yellowstone the last few years have been remarkably unpleasant. I go to the park at least twice a year to fish (sometimes I take relatives sightseeing but if so they have to endure me fishing a substantial part of the time). I've been doing that for nearly 60 yrs. In the last 15 yrs or so the rangers have evolved from helpful friendly rangers to men that see the public as enemies of the park, to be treated with great suspicion. Go "loaded for bear" grouchy rangers that is. Have your documentation ready, including appropriate state law. You may be in Wyoming or Montana. Have fun.
    What powers do park rangers have? I would guess less than a LEO. From my experience they're nothing more than glorified tour guides. Most states require you to carry your "documentation" especially if you're from our of state but as I've learned recently until you have broken a law you don't need to show it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jfisch View Post
    What powers do park rangers have?
    most of them have full police powers, some are armed, some aren't it depends on the park. The national park I am most familiar with had both rangers and National Park Police

Good to know. A copy of the law is definitely a good idea. I'm planning on getting a safepacker, but open carry would be more convenient. The safepacker is mainly for group outings where nobody else carries (I like to volunteer for outdoor conservation-type things and while most outdoorsy types are good with carrying, some of the company sponsors might not be... what they don't know won't hurt them!), in the car, camping/backpacking, and inclement weather!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast