Michigan Open Carry Laws
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Open Carry Laws

Michigan Open Carry Laws

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a copy of Michigan's open carry laws? An electronic copy would be preferred.

Thanks in advance!
    "...to keep, meaning 'it's mine, and you can't have it'"...
    -Ted Nugent
    on the right to keep and bear arms

Here in WA there are no open carry laws; it's the lack of a law prohibiting it that makes it lawful.

For what do you need this?

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
    Here in WA there are no open carry laws; it's the lack of a law prohibiting it that makes it lawful.

For what do you need this?
    In MI, I know we have always been able to open carry due to our state laws protecting our right to keep and bear arms and supporting the 2nd amendment. I do believe that there are SOME limitations to it though, such as a handful of places where it's not permitted. I know we have less "no carry" zones for open carry than for concealed carry, but there are still a few. I just don't know exactly where those are, so that's what I want to find out.
    -Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Thank you!
    -Ted Nugent

That link is paraphrased by the MSP. here is the actual law if you don't have a CPL :

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234d
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

8. So here's something I don't get about states like Michigan with great open carry laws, but only while NOT in your car. So I can open carry in most public areas, but if I get in my car, I need to pull my gun out of the holster, remove the magazine and round in the chamber so I can keep them separated in the vehicle, and then put the gun in the trunk in a case and the rounds in the glove compartment. Then when I get to my destination, I have to pull out the gun and rounds, reload the gun and put it in the holster and put it on my hip. How is that not two counts of brandishing? I know if a cop sees me pull a gun from the trunk and lock and load, I am probably going to have a very unpleasant conversation. To be allowed to open carry (no permit necessary) in a car, you need.......a concealed weapons permit????? So while Michigan might be considered a "great" open carry state, they make it a real pain in the ass to actually carry it out.

9. In Michigan OC is legal almost anywhere - because there is no law against it. However, when in a vehicle it is considered "concealed" even if it is laying on the seat beside you in plain sight - as such falls under the Concealed Carry laws. Unless you hold a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) the firearm must be properly stored for transport. With a CPL it can be OC or CC legally in the vehical.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dhardy57 View Post
    In Michigan OC is legal almost anywhere - because there is no law against it. However, when in a vehicle it is considered "concealed" even if it is laying on the seat beside you in plain sight - as such falls under the Concealed Carry laws. Unless you hold a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) the firearm must be properly stored for transport. With a CPL it can be OC or CC legally in the vehical.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    And for those without a CPL (carry permit) ....

Do NOT handle the gun within the confines of the vehicle. Do NOT uncase/load/holster with the gun inside the vehicle .... like doing that inside the trunk/on or in the seat.

Leave the gun in the case... take the case out of the vehicle... and now uncase/load/holster. And do the same in reverse when unholstering/unloading/casing. In short... the only way that gun should be inside the vehicle is if it is already inside the case.

Also... take care not to cross that invisible line of "inside" or "outside" the vehicle after holstering by reaching into the vehicle to get a package or something.

No carry permit means the gun MUST be inside a case while inside the vehicle and before it goes in, or comes out.

And here is a fantastic source of info about the legal aspects of open carry in Michigan. For anyone contemplating openly carrying in Michigan I strongly suggest following the link below.

New? Start Here (Info only -- No Discussion Please)
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others.

Quote Originally Posted by immortalmusic View Post
    So here's something I don't get about states like Michigan with great open carry laws, but only while NOT in your car. So I can open carry in most public areas, but if I get in my car, I need to pull my gun out of the holster, remove the magazine and round in the chamber so I can keep them separated in the vehicle, and then put the gun in the trunk in a case and the rounds in the glove compartment. Then when I get to my destination, I have to pull out the gun and rounds, reload the gun and put it in the holster and put it on my hip. How is that not two counts of brandishing? I know if a cop sees me pull a gun from the trunk and lock and load, I am probably going to have a very unpleasant conversation. To be allowed to open carry (no permit necessary) in a car, you need.......a concealed weapons permit????? So while Michigan might be considered a "great" open carry state, they make it a real pain in the ass to actually carry it out.
    You got that right !!! They really need to simplify these laws .
    "A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
    "Never fight an old man, if he can't fight you he'll just shoot you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast