What to say to an open carry visitor at church? - Page 2
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What to say to an open carry visitor at church?

1. i think that this is good info. im am curious to see where this goes. i am in wa and attend a rural church myself.

3. cougar98332, do you OC to church?

Quote Originally Posted by SCTom View Post
    How about, "good morning and thank you for joining us to worship this morning"....nice Glock/SW/Ruger/Kimber...maybe inserted here ;-) Then if it's still a problem I'd spend more time speaking to your congregation about welcoming all who choose to worship. That is of course unless you're convinced the Krypton doors will keep the bad guys from entering, then just throw the bum out.
    I think you're misdirecting your attention concerning the source of the problem.
    Just my $.02
    That's my thoughts as well. Unfortunately, we can't OC here in SC. But, there are a lot of us that CC. I carry when I'm in the pulpit or sitting in the congregation. We do have a few people that don't like the fact 30-40 armed members may be in any given worship service. (But, that is "THEIR" problem and is NOT the responsibility of legal CC'ers who are in attendance.)

If OC was legal here, I would feel the same way as I do with conceal carry in church. The bottom line is AG attitudes are a form of "prejudice" --and-- it is usually rises from a "spirit" of FEAR. It falls on the person with a sin issue to be responsible for "policing" their own sin. It is also the responsibility of the individual to deal with the "spirit" of FEAR in their own life.

OP-
    You as pastor need to point out that prejudice is wrong whether it is based on racism or an AG attitude; and you need to point out the fact that prejudice is often rooted in the spirit of FEAR and as Christians we have been set free from such things.

That's my 02c-

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

You should be going to church to praise the Lord not judging someone on how they carry their gun.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

6. In short, I am strongly against such policy. Period. But, if you must, then, limit the policy to church "members".

All visitor should feel welcomed with or w/o OC gun. Bringing a soul to Jesus must take precedence over any discomfort or distraction some ignorant church members may suffer. I suppose you don't run bums and beggars away, either, or do you? Or do you ask them to sit on the back!!!? (James 2) I think you can see the similarities.

You are in the "people's souls business" and should love them and welcome them just as they are.

7. I encourage you to teach church members that accepting OCing visitors is also part of loving the unsaved / un-churched.

Living rent free in Bluesstringer's head apparently
    First, the OP stated very clearly that he feels that OC is a distraction in his church at this time and as the Pastor it’s his call to allow or disallow it.

For those asking for a Scripture to back it up try this one. 1 Corinthians 14:40 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

A church setting isn’t the same as a Wal mart or a Texas Roadhouse people walk into churches all the time looking to cause a disturbance and I would assume that anyone that just showed up out of the blue open carrying was doing exactly that and I would respond accordingly. If you get offended and walk out you really weren’t that interested in being there anyway.

Now going back to the OP’s question I really would consider posting the church otherwise you’re going to go talk to someone and they’re going to raise Hell because the church isn’t posted, especially if they’re there to cause a distraction.

Second I would task your head usher and an assistant (Matthew 18:16 take one or two more with you, so that by the testimony of two or three witnesses every fact may be established.) to speak to the person and not you.

Finally, I will tell you that at my church we wouldn’t say a word to the visitor about his open carry but the head or our security team (or an off duty police officer) would be sitting right behind him.

I'd also suggest that if you want advice on how to run your church you ask mature Christians of good reputation that you know instead of throwing it out on a gun forum
    The finest Vodka is a razor Matthew, it leaves no ragged edges.

9. I don't open carry to church because I prefer not to advertise to the entire congregation that I carry. We have a LEO or two and other deacons who CC but no one OC's. Honestly I've never even considered OC'ing at church and I'm sure if someone did it would be a major distraction to most folks because we've been conditioned to fear guns and the scary people who carry them.

On the other hand I might be distracted if someone was OC'ing, probably busy admiring their rig. Not coveting, just admiring.

Living rent free in Bluesstringer's head apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by mclureb View Post
    Not coveting, just admiring.
    Revelation 21:8 all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone :D
    The finest Vodka is a razor Matthew, it leaves no ragged edges.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    First, the OP stated very clearly that he feels that OC is a distraction in his church at this time and as the Pastor it’s his call to allow or disallow it.

For those asking for a Scripture to back it up try this one. 1 Corinthians 14:40 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

A church setting isn’t the same as a Wal mart or a Texas Roadhouse people walk into churches all the time looking to cause a disturbance and I would assume that anyone that just showed up out of the blue open carrying was doing exactly that and I would respond accordingly. If you get offended and walk out you really weren’t that interested in being there anyway.

Now going back to the OP’s question I really would consider posting the church otherwise you’re going to go talk to someone and they’re going to raise Hell because the church isn’t posted, especially if they’re there to cause a distraction.

Second I would task your head usher and an assistant (Matthew 18:16 take one or two more with you, so that by the testimony of two or three witnesses every fact may be established.) to speak to the person and not you.

Finally, I will tell you that at my church we wouldn’t say a word to the visitor about his open carry but the head or our security team (or an off duty police officer) would be sitting right behind him.

I'd also suggest that if you want advice on how to run your church you ask mature Christians of good reputation that you know instead of throwing it out on a gun forum
    This bothers me. You are on a gun forum yet you discriminate and profile a man exercising his 2A rights for carrying a weapon by placing security around him? To me that is no better then the anti's saying all guns are bad and people who own them are bad.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using USA Carry mobile app

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast