What to say to an open carry visitor at church? - Page 23
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: What to say to an open carry visitor at church?

Navy, the point you and others I think are missing about the distraction element goes something like this.

I carry everywhere I go. Most of the time I CC just because it's how I dress, but occasionally OC. I'm essentially carry method agnostic. The majority of the members of my church are comfortable around firearms. We recently had a sizable group of ladies all go out and get their carry permits together. Pretty much every time I get together with my church people, the subject comes up because someone is trying this or got that. At any given service, there are quite a few guns in the room. But even those of us that do believe OC is just fine don't there. And it's not to keep from upsetting some blue-hair that's been on the board for the past 40 years (we barely have any people over 40 in our church at all) it's because our church is committed to bringing people in to hear about Jesus. At any service where we might have one unknown person OC, we have dozens of people from all walks of life who have also never been there before. We have a large outreach to Chinese students from the U of M, for example. And while the majority of our members and regular attenders are used to the sight of a gun and think nothing of it, a lot of those other people aren't, and some of them do spook. As such, I have actually given great thought to this exact question. My response if someone did come in OC, would be "Hey, great to see you tonight. I'm glad you came. I think you'll find that a lot of the people here share your enthusiasm for firearms, but we do a lot of outreach to different groups of people, some of whom aren't as safety conscious as you and I. If you can please just cover it while you're here, we want everybody to be able to focus on the message tonight."
    Not that it came up in the thread, but if someone walked (peacefully) into my church with a rifle strapped to their back, my response would be much the same, though I would ask that they check it with me at the info table with the guarantee that I would personally watch over it for the entire service.
    Owner of Applied Perspective, specializing in laser engraving and fine art photography
    -or-
    Just some guy who loves to shoot

Living rent free in Bluesstringer's head apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    One must ask, how considerate was Jesus of the "feelings" of the religious people, especially the religious leaders of his day? Did he cater to their itching ears so as not to offend them?
    I think that something else that we would want to look at was how Jesus dealt with the hypocrites that wanted to follow Him but only on their terms. How did he address them? Did He welcome them with open arms or tell them to go give away all their idols then come back?
    The finest Vodka is a razor Matthew, it leaves no ragged edges.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I think that something else that we would want to look at was how Jesus dealt with the hypocrites that wanted to follow Him but only on their terms. How did he address them? Did He welcome them with open arms or tell them to go give away all their idols then come back?
    I'm sorry, I believe it is your church policies that state, "Come worship Jesus with us... but only if you meet our standards".
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

And that is exactly it. Things that make you go "hmmmmm...."

1. The belief that a person openly carrying a firearm is more dangerous than the person carrying a concealed firearm. Really?
    2. Appeasing the feelings of the group of people in the church who are disturbed at the sight of the gun in church by simply telling people to hide their guns from them. That's like saying "We have a problem with adultery, or drinking, or drugging, or whatever.... so just don't do those things in our presence and we're all good.... we will just call this being 'respectful' and 'courteous' "
    And that in a nutshell is it.

We say we go to church, but actually we go to a building to WORSHIP. To please God in our worship, it must be whole-hearted and single-minded - our thoughts, prayers, and actions centered on God. Distractions, of any kind, would prevent acceptable worship. Therefore, after worship the day the OC person attends, or any other person causing any other type of distraction, they should be told to stop the distraction with an adequate explanation that they can understand. Worshiping God simply cannot be a part of any other activity, otherwise it's no acceptable to God. Acceptable worship is to worship Him in spirit and in truth, which is impossible with other things on our mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsdeal View Post
    We say we go to church, but actually we go to a building to WORSHIP. To please God in our worship, it must be whole-hearted and single-minded - our thoughts, prayers, and actions centered on God. Distractions, of any kind, would prevent acceptable worship. Therefore, after worship the day the OC person attends, or any other person causing any other type of distraction, they should be told to stop the distraction with an adequate explanation that they can understand. Worshiping God simply cannot be a part of any other activity, otherwise it's no acceptable to God. Acceptable worship is to worship Him in spirit and in truth, which is impossible with other things on our mind.
    My thought is: "if you are "fully involved in worship how is it an OC'er will distract you?"

It seems to me that the type of person that would be distracted by such a thing is more interested in passing judgement & finding fault in others; instead of worshiping & loving the Lord.

I can certainly see a problem if an OC'er is yelling & waving his firearm around. But, I see NO problem with an OC'er who is there to do what I'm there to do; showing love for my Lord & Savior.

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

8. Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    My thought is: "if you are "fully involved in worship how is it an OC'er will distract you?"

It seems to me that the type of person that would be distracted by such a thing is more interested in passing judgement & finding fault in others; instead of worshiping & loving the Lord.

I can certainly see a problem if an OC'er is yelling & waving his firearm around. But, I see NO problem with an OC'er who is there to do what I'm there to do; showing love for my Lord & Savior.

-
    Very well said!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I'm sorry, I believe it is your church policies that state, "Come worship Jesus with us... but only if you meet our standards".
    That's odd because I see you as saying "I'll come worship with you but only on my terms."

10. Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    That's odd because I see you as saying "I'll come worship with you but only on my terms."
    And exactly why should I be required to meet your earthly rules and regulations added by man that are not biblical admonitions? Other than the argument that you presented from Romans that did indicate that sometimes the strong Christians should take into account the weak state of faith of other Christians. So far that is the only argument that holds any water at all, "Please, sir, our faith is weak, so please adjust your manner of dress to accommodate us so that we do not stumble."

And exactly why should I be required to meet your earthly rules and regulations added by man that are not biblical admonitions? Other than the argument that you presented from Romans that did indicate that sometimes the strong Christians should take into account the weak state of faith of other Christians. So far that is the only argument that holds any water at all, "Please, sir, our faith is weak, so please adjust your manner of dress to accommodate us so that we do not stumble."
    Even if only one of my arguments holds water, it still holds water and you’re still stiff necked and demanding that the entire congregation bow to your wishes and do it on your terms.

"Prideful" and "Christian" are two words that should never be in the same sentence together.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast