Man Open Carry's @ High School Soccer Game, Coache's/Parent's Freak Out. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Man Open Carry's @ High School Soccer Game, Coache's/Parent's Freak Out.

  1. By the way it was not stated if the man had a CCW or not. In Michigan it is illegal to carry in a vehicle unless you have a Permit which could only be secured in the trunk. Now that we covered state law lets cover federal law. Title 18 of the United States Code section 922(q) contains the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, which prohibits the possession of a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reason to believe, is a school zone. The statute defines a school zone as the grounds of a public, parochial or private elementary or secondary school, or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a public, parochial or private elementary or secondary school. The ban on firearm possession does not apply: (a) if the possession is on on private property outside the school grounds.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhorton71 View Post
    CCW in some states are not allowed to be carried into bars because of the potential. I am an ex football official and some people that I thought were level headed in person had become very violent at football games and baseball games that I have officiated at. As a matter of fact one instance actually involved a police officer in another game in our area. Put yourself in the officials spot. An official has no way to carry to protect himself so as a matter of instance you took away his rights by him having the same right of protection as the man that carried at the game. If you open carry in a shopping mall, I have the same protection since I'm allowed to carry.
    You sir are an asshat.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Jhorton71 View Post
    By the way it was not stated if the man had a CCW or not. In Michigan it is illegal to carry in a vehicle unless you have a Permit which could only be secured in the trunk. Now that we covered state law lets cover federal law. Title 18 of the United States Code section 922(q) contains the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, which prohibits the possession of a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reason to believe, is a school zone. The statute defines a school zone as the grounds of a public, parochial or private elementary or secondary school, or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a public, parochial or private elementary or secondary school. The ban on firearm possession does not apply: (a) if the possession is on on private property outside the school grounds.
    I fail to see your point.

    The ban of firearm possession also does not apply:

    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm— (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  5. Since that private property belonged to the school it is considered school property under federal law. And since you believe you have rights the school has rights to ask you not to bring it on school property including the school parking lot since the school parking lot would be within 1000ft of school property. You can't expect people to respect your rights if you don't respect theirs.

  6. All we are saying is that it is stupid to stop a game and empty the stadium because someone who was legally carrying a holstered handgun was asked to leave the game, so he locked the gun in his car and returned unarmed. 100% idiotic and childish behavior on the part of the school officials. They are trusting the government to protect them by enacting a no guns zone, so why not just call the government (police) and let them handle this one guy, now unarmed, instead of evacuating the whole stadium? I would be willing to bet my October 15th paycheck that his wasn't the only gun locked in a vehicle in that parking lot. 'Course the way things are looking, I won't have an October 15th paycheck.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756
    I firmly believe with all of these recent events popping up in the Michigan Media where people are openly carrying to school events, I believe 1 of 2 things will happen. Either, 1, Theyll BAN open carry on school property or in school buildings/at events or 2, allow concealed carry at such places to prevent issues on both sides. Out of sight out of mind.
    Saying that, Would I have openly carried to a school event? Probably not. If anything, not went or just left it in the vehicle/home. I only carry about 95% of the time, and a school sporting event wouldnt have been one of them.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Saying that, Would I have openly carried to a school event? Probably not. If anything, not went or just left it in the vehicle/home. I only carry about 95% of the time, and a school sporting event wouldnt have been one of them.
    In Washington it is illegal for us to carry concealed or openly during a school sporting event, so the gun gets locked in the car, but we can (with a CPL) carry on school grounds while picking up or dropping off students. I always open carry and have for 4 years since I inherited my stepdaughter who was in middle school and now a Junior in High School. I always get out of the car to either let her drive (now) or just to give her a hug before she was driving. Never an issue here.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan
    Posts
    3,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhorton71 View Post
    Since that private property belonged to the school it is considered school property under federal law. And since you believe you have rights the school has rights to ask you not to bring it on school property including the school parking lot since the school parking lot would be within 1000ft of school property. You can't expect people to respect your rights if you don't respect theirs.
    You are correct that because the school is private property they can require a person to leave the entire property, including the parking lot, because of private property rights and have them arrested for trespass if they refuse to leave... however... the 1000ft stipulation in Federal law does not apply! to someone who is "licensed" to "possess" (note the law references licensed in reference to possession... not licensed in reference to carry) because of what NavyLCDR mentions below.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I fail to see your point.

    The ban of firearm possession also does not apply:

    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm— (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    Hence the Federal law does not apply to a person who is "licensed" to posses a firearm by that State but any applicable trespass law(s) of that State would apply.

    Please let us not confuse the issue of private property rights and the State trespass laws that support those rights with Federal laws that do not apply.

    I am not an attorney.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    You are correct that because the school is private property they can require a person to leave the entire property, including the parking lot, because of private property rights and have them arrested for trespass if they refuse to leave.
    And if the athletic director(s), coach(es), or whoever had an issue with the guy trespassing, why not just call the police for them to deal with it? This stunt was nothing more than grandstanding by the school officials. They are giving school officials everywhere a bad name and doing more to hurt their cause then help. I mean, really what they are saying is, "We don't trust the police enough to handle this one person, who has been here for 1/2 the game already, so we are going to evacuate the stadium out of fear of this one, now unarmed, person."
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhorton71 View Post
    CCW in some states are not allowed to be carried into bars because of the potential. I am an ex football official and some people that I thought were level headed in person had become very violent at football games and baseball games that I have officiated at. As a matter of fact one instance actually involved a police officer in another game in our area. Put yourself in the officials spot. An official has no way to carry to protect himself so as a matter of instance you took away his rights by him having the same right of protection as the man that carried at the game. If you open carry in a shopping mall, I have the same protection since I'm allowed to carry.
    Based on your logic, if we take away the right of one, then we should take away the right of everyone. Seriously???? Are you an eleutherophobe? Which other rights shall we infringe upon or eliminate because someone is irrationally scared?

    Now your "instances" at your games, how many of them ended up in gunfire because someone was emotionally distraught at the outcome of the game?

    I carry, and I have been angry, never have I pulled my firearm in anger and I don't know anyone that carries that would. We pull our firearm when we are threatened with serious bodily injury or death. Going fisticuffs in a game doesn't constitute a huge jump in the force continuum.

    Anymore of your Brady-esque defenses and I'm claiming troll.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast