What if someone grabs your firearm while you are Open Carrying? - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What if someone grabs your firearm while you are Open Carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by SirTapparuni View Post
    Im looking for a good OC holster for my XDM 3.8 9mm. So far a Serpa or the XDM gear. But according to Blackhawks website, the serpa only fits the XD. Any input would be appreciated.
    Look into the Safariland ALS holsters. Serpas are crap in my opinion, I use a Safariland ALS holster, its a thumb drive button [no hood option avaliable] and its more concealed and prevents easy take aways vs the open index finger system blackhawks use. Its a little more costly, but worth it in the long run. you can find it using google or go to the manufacture website. safariland.com
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Not that anybody has tried to in my case, but depending on the age/intent of the person could end very badly. Grab the hand, do a body drop (go limp to the floor), then put the person in a arm bar.

why would you grab at his gun, anyway? Instead, it's far easier to just kick him in the nads, or the knee, then kick him in kidney, tailbone, head, whatever is closest, then take the gun at your leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    why would you grab at his gun, anyway? Instead, it's far easier to just kick him in the nads, or the knee, then kick him in kidney, tailbone, head, whatever is closest, then take the gun at your leisure.
    Surely you are the greatest thing since Rambo! I am in awe of your magnificence! No one could ever prevail over your level of training or expertise!!!

In fact... I feel blessed to be sharing the same planet and the same air supply... with such an accomplished fighter such as yourself! I bow to your magnificent excellence!

Ok... sarcastic bull crap aside...

Dude...

I have lived long enough to learn there are those who are the "real deal" with no need to try to impress others with how much of a bad ass they are as they just go about their lives dealing with life only bringing out the "bad ass" when it is unavoidable... and then there are those who try to impress others with how much of a bad ass they want others to think they are.

Ummmmmmmmm.... the guys that I have met in my life who were the real deals didn't bother talking about their prowess... they just did what they needed to do when it needed doing without bragging about it. And by the time anyone realized something had happened it had already been done and the whole thing was all over.

I have seen real warriors in action (and I am NOT one of them!) and it is my personal opinion that those who indulge in manly puffed up chest pounding internet "I'm a bad ass" bragging couldn't even come close to measuring up to a real warrior's pickled eggs/beer fart.

Rambo was quite literally nothing much. didn't hit anyone with a bullet in the entire first movie. :-) If he'd have shot straight while in the cop shop, he could have left town at his leizure, with his clothes and his stuff, instead of being buck naked and depending upon LUCK to get his gear!.

The fact that I BOTHERED to get a lot of hand to hand training makes you feel bad? I saw over 300 GI's have the same chance to train that I did. Do you know how many of them even tried, a few sessions? about 15. Know how many got real ability? 5 not counting me. It cost $10 per month to get small class (3-4 of us) instruction, 6 hours a week, from a 5th Dan, when we were clearing $250 per month. That's how many people care enough to put in the work to become skilled, even under IDEAL conditions for training (ie, plenty of money and nothing else to do and a rare opportunity to train under a proven REAL badass and great instructor

If someone tried to get my firearm, what he would get first would be a left uppercut to the crotch. I'd have to play it by ear from there. :o)

Actually I only open carry on my own property, because the State of Texas infringes on my inalienable right to bear arms.
    Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.
    The truth about the former Republic of the United States of America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioz...ayer_embedded#

Im looking for a good OC holster for my XDM 3.8 9mm. So far a Serpa or the XDM gear. But according to Blackhawks website, the serpa only fits the XD. Any input would be appreciated.

sent from a Samsung Galaxy S4
    I have a Serpa for my full size Glock. Serpa makes them for many models. I highly recommend the Serpa and highly encourage you to melt the XDM holster that comes free with the gun, and make some molds of some toy characters that you can take to the range and shoot. That's about what that holster is worth.

The Serpa is nice because if you know how to properly hold a loaded weapon with your trigger finger off the trigger until ready to fire, then this is exactly how you pull it out of the Serpa. Your trigger finger is extended and slides along the release as you draw your weapon. I've been recorded as drawing and firing from the Serpa at 1.2 seconds. So, you get a rapidly deployed firearm with this holster and you get a level I retention. Win-win in my book.

As far as your original post about what to do if someone touched it... The_Outlaw covered it well.

Situational awareness is your best friend. Condition yourself to look at your scenario with a different mindset. Ask yourself, who's carrying, how do you know? Who's near me? Ask yourself, what would you do if X, Y, or Z happens. You will start getting a mindset of controlling your situations better.

When in uniform (Sheriff's Reserve), I did have a young boy grab my holster. I learned to move and walk with my arm touching my firearm at all times even though I carry a Level II retention holster on duty. My hand went up and grabbed for the weapon as I turned to get the weapon 180 degrees from where I felt it being touched. I had already had it unsnapped and pushed forward ready to draw, but still in the holster. His look of fear and shock brought my heightened state way down quickly. I squatted down so we were face to face, smiled, and gave him one of our gold, "Junior Deputy" stickers. Mom was much apologetic but also thankful when I took the time to address him appropriately. The boy asked a few questions about my gun and I read the mom's face to see if she was OK with it, she was. I answered them and of course let him know that he shouldn't touch a gun that he sees, but should get an adult first and ask. He was maybe 4 or 5 years old.... cute kid.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by rev. dave View Post
    I don't carry in the open, so that's not an issue for me. But my son-in-law carried sometimes in the military. His solution was to keep an fixed-blade kerambit style knife on the other side, blade forward. If someone tried to grab his firearm, all he had to do was lock down on their wrist with his shooting hand, pull out that little blade with his other hand, and slice their forearm to the bone. No grip = no theft of gun. I actually liked that idea and it is now firmly stored in my 'tactical thoughts library'.
    I keep a knife always at the ready in my left pocket for this very reason.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I did a bunch of research, as I travel armed, when not flying, and last month, I drove my bike down to South Carolina for my son's wedding.. Open Carried most of the way, in an Uncle Mike's Reflex holster, on my belt (as opposed to using the paddle adapter that comes with it). It's got a nice little set-up whereby someone will get an unpleasant surprise - the firearm (coincidentally, an XDm 3.8 subcompact in 9mm!) will not come out. It requires a twist 'inward' of the grip, to release. Unless someone knew what they were looking at, my guess is it's highly unlikely it'll come out unless you specifically intend for it to.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Funny, me too.. Kershaw Leek, clipped so as to make it a quick draw out and flick it open. An instructor of mine (CCW, Tactical Pistol, Tactical Rifle, Advanced Squad mechanics, etc etc ad nauseum - he's a former USAR Ranger so go figure) actually carries a sheathed blade, the little polymer-handled karambit that was so popular a while back. He's pretty quick on the draw with that thing, too.

11. Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    My 329PD is habitually right on my right elbow, especially in public. The first sign of a gun grab, the right hand goes to secure the gun, the left hand pulls the Becker Necker out ready to slice and dice as necessary. My going in position is exactly the same as armed and uniformed LEO's: a gun grab = attempted murder. My plan is to react accordingly.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast