What if someone grabs your firearm while you are Open Carrying? - Page 6
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What if someone grabs your firearm while you are Open Carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    In his defense, (though I think SA should be continuous, carrying or not), there are unique circumstances to be aware of. If my CC happens to be pocket carry, or appendix, or even deep concealed IWB, I might not have a gun grab as my primary concern when evaluating any given situation. does that mean I need to be less aware? hell no, just aware of different things. For example, when CC'ing I will pay a little more attention to things a little farther away from me, since my draw will be slower than OC.
    -
    I guess I am agreeing with you both, but I do that with the perception that he just misspoke with good intentions.
    Thanks but I didn't misspeak. Please read my posts just above. Your thought process is correct when comparing OC to CC. You acknowledge a difference between the two modes of carry. You have determined that adjustments are viable. It's just that NavyLCDR and Chen are having trouble understanding what I said because they are stuck on trying to defend their reasoning that one thing must mean the opposite is true. Not so if you look at the whole picture.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Thanks but I didn't misspeak. Please read my posts just above. Your thought process is correct when comparing OC to CC. You acknowledge a difference between the two modes of carry. You have determined that adjustments are viable. It's just that NavyLCDR and Chen are having trouble understanding what I said because they are stuck on trying to defend their reasoning that one thing must mean the opposite is true. Not so if you look at the whole picture.
    I think I understand what your saying. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Open carriers have a unique consideration of a gun grab that concealed carriers don't, hence why greater awareness for that aspect.

Concealed carrying has a unique consideration of keeping the firearm concealed that open carrying doesn't have, hence why greater awareness for keeping it covered.

While I don't completely agree...ie that a gun grab is not a possibility for concealed carriers, or that open carriers don't need to be aware that their firearm isn't covered...I may be understanding what you are saying better.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. i have carried for over 30 years, and never had anyone try a GG on me. i have had a couple of kids want to touch it. i don't know if there are any GG in the record, wouldn't doubt if it hasn't happened. though i have never heard of a successful one. i have heard several challenges, proven there has been one.

as SA goes i don't let anyone stand behind me. even if i am in a line, i turn sideways to keep people in sight

5. Quote Originally Posted by keller644 View Post
    Outlaw has pretty much covered everything about open carrying. But the main things to remember about open carrying is: To be aware of your surroundings and others at all times. Second you should never open carry with out a plan of physically recovering your weapon in the event somone grabs at your firearm,if you can't physically protect it don't flaunt it. And last but not least always have a good reason for carrying your firearm in the open, law enforcement frowns on people who open carry just because they want to.
    Excuse me? According to you, I now have to have a "good reason" to enjoy my 2nd amendment rights? Based on what justification?

And what does "law enforcement frowns" on people who open carry mean? Does that mean it's illegal to enjoy my 2nd amendment rights - unless of course - I have a "good reason". If it's legal, why do they "frown" on it? What happens when a law enforcement officer "frowns" on someone enjoying their 2nd amendment rights? Do they get shot, arrested, thrown in jail, what?

Please explain this - no offense - nonsensical drivel.

the ccw'd knife is a LOT lower than just using natural weapons, unless your hand is ON an fixed blade. anyone with some training can throw 8 punches per second. your ccw knife draw is no faster than your ccw gun draw, ie, 1/2 second or slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I think I understand what your saying. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Open carriers have a unique consideration of a gun grab that concealed carriers don't, hence why greater awareness for that aspect.

Concealed carrying has a unique consideration of keeping the firearm concealed that open carrying doesn't have, hence why greater awareness for keeping it covered.

While I don't completely agree...ie that a gun grab is not a possibility for concealed carriers, or that open carriers don't need to be aware that their firearm isn't covered...I may be understanding what you are saying better.

You almost have it. Actually you do have it correct but you screw things up by adding stuff that we are not talking about or things that seem obvious.
    Nowhere did I say that CCing eliminates a gun grab. You print then someone might be thinking gun grab. You let your situational awareness down and end up in a physical altercation while CCing then a gun grab is possible.
    Even while OCing a gun grab is not likely but more possible then when CCing. We were, or I was not discussing all possibilities just what situation was more likely. Hence different situational awareness for.... are you ready? Different situations!
    You get it. Just stop adding stuff. If you want to say that a gun grab is possible due to printing and/or a physical altercation that's fine but that isn't what the topic was that I was commenting on.
    BTW situational awareness works best when you trust your own gut instinct and do not second guess yourself. For instance, maybe you should cross to the other side of the street instead of saying "nah, what could happen broad daylight". If you get that strange feeling do not ignore it. Works for any scenario you come up with, not just my example.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    You almost have it. Actually you do have it correct but you screw things up by adding stuff that we are not talking about or things that seem obvious.
    Nowhere did I say that CCing eliminates a gun grab. You print then someone might be thinking gun grab. You let your situational awareness down and end up in a physical altercation while CCing then a gun grab is possible.
    Even while OCing a gun grab is not likely but more possible then when CCing. We were, or I was not discussing all possibilities just what situation was more likely. Hence different situational awareness for.... are you ready? Different situations!
    You get it. Just stop adding stuff. If you want to say that a gun grab is possible due to printing and/or a physical altercation that's fine but that isn't what the topic was that I was commenting on.
    BTW situational awareness works best when you trust your own gut instinct and do not second guess yourself. For instance, maybe you should cross to the other side of the street instead of saying "nah, what could happen broad daylight". If you get that strange feeling do not ignore it. Works for any scenario you come up with, not just my example.
    You never said, "a gun grab wasn't possible"...but you did say it's a "unique situation" for open carry. Do you see how I came to that conclusion? How can it be possible for cc, if it's unique to oc. Maybe we define unique differently.

We will have to agree to disagree on the possibility being greater, as I've read gun grab stories about both methods, and they are quite rare on both fronts. But...If I were to say which has a higher theoretical possibility, I would have to see which method gets chosen more as intended victims. Since more concealed carriers use their firearm in self defense, the possibility has to be higher when cc'ing.

Imo, S.A. shouldn't change due to different situations. If S.A. is at its best, all information being processed is important, not just specific aspects. I suppose you can say my definition of S.A. is broad, instead of situational or aspect specific.

When you feel we aren't looking at the big picture, or we are just defining it to fit our views, you have to know those thoughts and feelings are reciprocated. No ill intent though, just trying to be honest.

In the end, to each their own.

“One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by keller644 View Post
    Outlaw has pretty much covered everything about open carrying. But the main things to remember about open carrying is: To be aware of your surroundings and others at all times. Second you should never open carry with out a plan of physically recovering your weapon in the event somone grabs at your firearm,if you can't physically protect it don't flaunt it. And last but not least always have a good reason for carrying your firearm in the open, law enforcement frowns on people who open carry just because they want to.
    Law enforcement frowns on people who open carry just because they want to? HUH? I open carry because I want to. I have had nothing but supportive and favorable reactions from all.....law enforcement included. Pass on the next hit dude.
    Gun free zones are safe havens...........for criminals.
    Laws govern the lesser man, Morals govern the greater man.

In Ohio, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me, if someone tries to take your firearm he means to hurt or kill you. Now your life is in danger and you have the right to use deadly force to prevent your firearm form being taken.

I OC and CC a 1911 using an IWB holster which keeps my firearm tight against my hip. Takes a good pull to remove my firearm. It's all back to knowing your surroundings and awareness.

Never met a ghetto-rat scumbag that was afraid of a gun. Have seen plenty of them dare an armed person to shoot them. How many have grabbed for the gun of the LEO arresting them? Never say never. Never say can't. Never say won't.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast