Open Carry Concerns - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Carry Concerns

I live in Virginia, about 35 miles west southwest of Washington, DC. I open carry nearly all the time and have only had one negative encounter. That was in August 2009 at a local McDonald's. The guy claimed he was a retired LEO but judging from his accent, he was definitely not a native of Virginia... most likely from somewhere up in the northeast.

Open carry in Virginia is the normal mode of carrying a sidearm (read that as standard or default). No permits necessary and no special considerations with which to concern oneself.

OC'ing in my area is a no-brainer. Almost all of the comments, questions, and remarks I get are positive in nature with maybe a third comprising questions. My gun and holster are not showy or scary (gen3 Glock 23 in a Fobus Evolution belt holster) and my dress is normal... as in casual. Jeans or cargo shorts with a decent T-shirt, golf shirt, or rugby, all untucked. My demeanor is always polite, pleasant, and friendly and I believe that goes a long way in assuaging any concerns or fears someone might have when they see my sidearm.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Don't forget to wear your t-shirt!
    Maybe I'm slow today. I don't get the meaning of the t-shirt. Could you help a wandering mind find his way back please?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

4. wait, so in MN you can open carry without any consequences?! are there any other states like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Hodgdon View Post
    wait, so in MN you can open carry without any consequences?! are there any other states like that?
    WA, OR (with a permit on some locations), ID, UT, NV. Haven't had any issues in these states. There are many more too.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Open Carry Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    WA, OR (with a permit on some locations), ID, UT, NV. Haven't had any issues in these states. There are many more too.
    You can add Vermont to that list!
    Here in Vermont we don't even need a permit to carry concealed!
    Basically, you can OC or CC without needing a permit of any kind!
    Ya gotta live Constitutional Carry States!

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    wait, so in MN you can open carry without any consequences?! are there any other states like that?
    What do you consider "consequences?" Also, what state do you live in? It would help the rest of us to understand your incredulity at the thought of inconsequential open carry. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Yes, there are only 43 states you can OC in. Check out Open Carry dot org:
    OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12