Open Carry Concerns
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Concerns

Open Carry Concerns

Greetings all.

I've had my PTC for some time now, and have always concealed when out and around, even though my state (MN) is OC permitted. I found during the warmer months, this was not a huge deal as I normally had my shirt untucked and shorts on. Now, going into warmer months, I typically wear jeans, and a button down tucked in. Sometimes with a blazer depending on temp. I'm not so much concerned when I a blazer or coat on, but more when I only have a shirt on. (I'm generally always warm, a tshirt, then shirt, then coat really don't work for me.) I do have both a paddle holster (Blackhawk) and an Alien IWB for my XD. (Yes, I realize it's not the smallest daily carry gun, but it fits and suits me very well)

My main question, in everyday life, how often do those of you that OC get odd looks, questions, or confronted? I tend to over-think things a little more than most people, and especially on this topic. I would like to carry, and be comfortable, but also not cause public panic and make a scene anywhere.

More often than not, I wear the Alien, because it's far less visible than the blackhawk, and you can only see the rear of the gun, and a small portion of the handle. While discreet, I still want to avoid the potential confrontation.

Thanks!
    --------------------------
    - Tim | [email protected]
    Springfield SA-XD / Rem .243

Guess it if they said that was not smart to carry your XD, they would sh!t to see me carrying a full size 45 and a baby glock.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

I carry an XD in a Crossbreed IWB. No problem. Wear it year 'round, with shorts or jeans.

In my state, New Mexico is allowed or the law. I open carried for years. A full size XD-357 SIG. And for the most part it was ok. But every now and then people would kinda just freak out. And many times I was asked if I was a cop and or did I have a permit(which is not required) then asked why do I carry a gun? I was asked to leave a restaurant a library the mall among other places. Even a lot of Police Officers do not know gun laws that well. So, after years of getting hassled I carry the same firearm conceal carry. It's just So much easier to get things done and not to be bothered. If everybody knew the law it would be no big deal, but people born and raised in this state do not have the foggiest clue regarding firearm laws. So, for me conceal. Even though I prefer open for sure, it was just not worth the hassle.

Have you thought about a tuckable holster?
    Sort of like this one. It goes IWB and your shirt tucks in over it.
    Springfield XDs ACE-1 Holster
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons ~ For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup

The reactions you get will depend on the sheep or lack thereof around you. If you are in an urban area, expect situations like Captian Carry mentioned. If you are more rural, where people know how to think before they react, you will not get "hassled" as much.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Thanks.

I travel between 'city' and 'rural' so it will be a tossup. I do have a tuckable IWB holster now, so that should help quite a bit. I believe it will just be a matter of 'doing it' and dismissing the stares. I've got a permit, I'm not making a show out of the deal, I'm just going about my business.
    --------------------------
    - Tim | [email protected]
    Springfield SA-XD / Rem .243

Quote Originally Posted by Captian Carry View Post
    In my state, New Mexico is allowed or the law. I open carried for years. A full size XD-357 SIG. And for the most part it was ok. But every now and then people would kinda just freak out. And many times I was asked if I was a cop and or did I have a permit(which is not required) then asked why do I carry a gun? I was asked to leave a restaurant a library the mall among other places. Even a lot of Police Officers do not know gun laws that well. So, after years of getting hassled I carry the same firearm conceal carry. It's just So much easier to get things done and not to be bothered. If everybody knew the law it would be no big deal, but people born and raised in this state do not have the foggiest clue regarding firearm laws. So, for me conceal. Even though I prefer open for sure, it was just not worth the hassle.
    I also live in NM. an OCed for a while. Never had a problem, not even with LE. Never asked to leave gun at home or questioned abut why I carried. Yes it easier to just go CC and let it rest, and have the element of surprise.
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

IMO 99% of people don't even notice when I OC and rarely does anyone say anything.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

11. Quote Originally Posted by CarryNM View Post
    I also live in NM. an OCed for a while. Never had a problem, not even with LE. Never asked to leave gun at home or questioned abut why I carried. Yes it easier to just go CC and let it rest, and have the element of surprise.
    Don't forget to wear your t-shirt!

Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast