Open carry arguments. - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTapparuni View Post
    Chen, where do you live? I live in the northern metro area of Minneapolis.

sent from a Samsung Galaxy S4
    I spend half my time in eastern Washington. The other half I spend in one of these states : OR, ID, WY, MT, UT, NV, NM, CA, HI.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Before August of this year, that "NO" would get people here in AL arrested and convicted for disturbing the peace if a cop desired to arrest and charge them. It varies widely from state to state. Thanks to our new gun/carry laws though, a cop no longer has the authority to use the simple visibility of an otherwise legally carried weapon as probable cause for a contact or a DtP charge.

There are very few, if any, questions about firearms or the legalities involved with carrying them that can be answered with an unequivocal "Yes" or "No" throughout the nation.

Blues
    That's a pretty broad and generalized statement. I would counter that by saying in my state, there are very few scenarios regarding firearms or the carrying of them that warrant or invite legal intervention.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    That's a pretty broad and generalized statement. I would counter that by saying in my state, there are very few scenarios regarding firearms or the carrying of them that warrant or invite legal intervention.
    I was making a broad and generalized statement in reply to a broad and generalized statement that, before just a couple of months ago in my state, held the potential to get someone arrested if the statement I was replying to were to be accepted as fact anywhere except where the person who said it lives. This is the context for the broad and generalized statement that I made:

Or what if someone sees you OCing and calls the Police. Can they arrest you for "Disturbing the Peace z"

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    NO [was the broad and generalized statement I was replying to]

Not unless you are disturbing the peace :) Open carry does not = disturbing the peace. [was the part of the statement that prompted me to say that few questions can be answered yes or no *throughout the nation* - some states it's yes, and others are no, others fall somewhere in between.]
    Since I know for a fact that a disturbing the peace charge can be brought for no other reason than open carrying in several states, as well as I know for a fact that almost any issue regarding firearms and/or the carrying of them will get no response from LE in some states while getting criminal charges in other states, I made the statement that, "There are very few, if any, questions about firearms or the legalities involved with carrying them that can be answered with an unequivocal "Yes" or "No" throughout the nation," and I stand by that broad and generalized statement. You "countering" it with a specific state where you are intimately familiar with the laws and standard practices of LE is no counter at all. It's known as a "non-sequitur."

Not sure why there would be anything wrong with a broad and generalized statement to begin with, as long as it is responsive to whatever was said that it was intended to reply to, and my statement most certainly was. Also not sure why a "counter" to such a statement is necessary, especially since that counter wasn't responsive to the exchange I was involved in. You got some axe to grind or what?

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I was making a broad and generalized statement in reply to a broad and generalized statement that, before just a couple of months ago in my state, held the potential to get someone arrested if the statement I was replying to were to be accepted as fact anywhere except where the person who said it lives. This is the context for the broad and generalized statement that I made:

Since I know for a fact that a disturbing the peace charge can be brought for no other reason than open carrying in several states, as well as I know for a fact that almost any issue regarding firearms and/or the carrying of them will get no response from LE in some states while getting criminal charges in other states, I made the statement that, "There are very few, if any, questions about firearms or the legalities involved with carrying them that can be answered with an unequivocal "Yes" or "No" throughout the nation," and I stand by that broad and generalized statement. You "countering" it with a specific state where you are intimately familiar with the laws and standard practices of LE is no counter at all. It's known as a "non-sequitur."

Not sure why there would be anything wrong with a broad and generalized statement to begin with, as long as it is responsive to whatever was said that it was intended to reply to, and my statement most certainly was. Also not sure why a "counter" to such a statement is necessary, especially since that counter wasn't responsive to the exchange I was involved in. You got some axe to grind or what?

Blues
    Nope.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

6. Now my gf is having issues with me carrying when she is with. Because she is "Scared" ...I asked her what she is scared of. She doesn't like guns she said. I told her that get argument is invalid.

Now my gf is having issues with me carrying when she is with. Because she is "Scared" ...I asked her what she is scared of. She doesn't like guns she said. I told her that get argument is invalid.

This might be of interest to both you and her. May I suggest reading it with her and openly, politely, discussing with no attempt to sway her or convince her in any way. Be a source of knowledge for her without injecting any of your own personal opinions or arguments.

http://www.corneredcat.com/

Let the lady learn as much as possible and then... step out of the way and let her decide how she feels about guns and you carrying one to protect her.

Maybe she might even start thinking about carrying a gun herself... but may I suggest... do NOT push her... let her come to it on her own. Take her to the range and let her start with a non threatening no recoil .22... and let it go from there.

The whole point of an open carry law is to prevent your arrest just because someone sees you. I'm in Mississippi, where we recently had a law passed to clarify that Open Carry is allowed. There has always been a segment who insisted it was so, but those of us who can't risk a legal altercation for no good reason chose not to try our luck. Here in MS, many sheriffs, chiefs, and the AG have come out in strong support of OC. So I personally prefer to OC, though CC is the only way some places.

OC or CC mitigates different risks. Someone who OCs and also maintains situational awareness would tend to deter a criminal paying attention more than someone who is CC'ing. If you are thinking rationally enough to select hard targets first, do you want to risk your life over an as-yet uncommited crime while staring at a guy staring back at you who has his 1911 on his hip? If the criminal is NOT paying attention, then OC vs CC doesn't matter and you've got slightly faster access to your weapon with OC (no interference from clothing). The flip-side is that CC keeps the sheeple (or a jack-booted thug-style LEO) from freaking out on you needlessly.

We should all recall that there was a time in this country when there was not really any such thing as CC. If you had a handgun, it was on your hip. If you didn't, you had your rifle/shotgun slung on your shoulder. OC is just another "old way" of doing things like growing a garden and having chickens that fell out of vogue as we bunched up in cities. I'm glad it's coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusBangus View Post
    The whole point of an open carry law is to prevent your arrest just because someone sees you. I'm in Mississippi, where we recently had a law passed to clarify that Open Carry is allowed. There has always been a segment who insisted it was so, but those of us who can't risk a legal altercation for no good reason chose not to try our luck. Here in MS, many sheriffs, chiefs, and the AG have come out in strong support of OC. So I personally prefer to OC, though CC is the only way some places.

OC or CC mitigates different risks. Someone who OCs and also maintains situational awareness would tend to deter a criminal paying attention more than someone who is CC'ing. If you are thinking rationally enough to select hard targets first, do you want to risk your life over an as-yet uncommited crime while staring at a guy staring back at you who has his 1911 on his hip? If the criminal is NOT paying attention, then OC vs CC doesn't matter and you've got slightly faster access to your weapon with OC (no interference from clothing). The flip-side is that CC keeps the sheeple (or a jack-booted thug-style LEO) from freaking out on you needlessly.

We should all recall that there was a time in this country when there was not really any such thing as CC. If you had a handgun, it was on your hip. If you didn't, you had your rifle/shotgun slung on your shoulder. OC is just another "old way" of doing things like growing a garden and having chickens that fell out of vogue as we bunched up in cities. I'm glad it's coming back.
    Unfortunately that is what this country has come to...laws allowing us to do something without being arrested...did we ever have freedom? Or was it aborted like everything else precious in this country before it had a chance?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

For about a year now I gave up trying to please everybody and there bother by CC, while I do OP while riding the motorcycle, I CC everywhere else, like I said about a year ago I started OP all the time it seems to be a bunch more comfortable, easyer access to weapon, and it can allow for funny things to happen, on the way home tonight I stopped at Arbys to pick up something for dinner, a little girl and her mother were at the counter, and the little girl saw the Glock on my hip, and she wasn't freaked out or anything but she said mommy that guy has a gun, and mama says so does your daddy, and the little girl says I know but daddys gun is little not a big one like that, and mama say your daddy wants a bigger one...............I swear I had all I could do not to bust out laughing my ass off, I didn't just stood there and ordered
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

In my state of Virginia, laws exist to inform you of things you cannot do, not things which you can do. Consequently, there are no laws in Virginia addressing open carry and since that is the case, open carry is the normal (standard, default) mode of carrying a sidearm. If you wish to carry concealed, you must obtain permission from our employees (public servants) in order to do this. No such permitting is needed to open carry your firearm. We have very few incidences of MWAG calls in my area... very few, indeed.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast