In your face open carry activism... be careful about reading this....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In your face open carry activism... be careful about reading this....

In your face open carry activism... be careful about reading this....

The following is intended to hopefully get other open carriers to consider doing the same.

My wife and I started a bold new method of right there "in your face" open carry activism a couple of years ago.

You see... when we go out to lunch at fast food places we make it a point to leave 5$ with the cashier to help pay for the next person's lunch.

And the reason is simple.... it is very difficult to think badly of the smiling guy openly carrying a gun on his hip when he just paid for most, if not all, of your lunch.

Actually.... there have been some folks who ordered their lunch and had the remainder of the 5$ handed to them as "change".... so not only did they get a free lunch but they got paid to eat it.

We can't think of a more personal way of winning the hearts and minds of people for the right to bear arms..... one free lunch at a time.

So.... what say you? Got an extra 5$ to put to good use once in a while?

3. I don't think buying people's opinion works. They may think you're a nice guy, but I doubt it will change their stance on guns.

If that guy is dumb enough to go around paying for other people's meals so they'll like him, is he smart enough to safely carry a gun?

How much will votes cost ? No disrespect, but if you have to pay for a favorable opinion, I wouldn't trust it very far.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Let's see.... the news shows people with guns as bad scary people.. then folks meet someone carrying a gun who is friendly and nice enough to pay for their lunch. Which one made a favorable impression about guns?

That's the way politicians work... give you a favorable impression, then do what they started out to do in the first place.

There's no right or wrong to it. If it works for you, then have at it. I'll pass. Respects, sir....
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Hey Bikenut, can I borrow $500 in fives please?

I like your idea, but I can't see it catching on.

I think another idea that has the same essence as what you are saying, is to (A) open carry all the time, and (B) make sure that you are a pleasant person all the time when you are out, and (C) put yourself in situations in which your actions show you to be a nice guy. Examples could be volunteering at a soup kitchen, helping out with Meals on Wheels, or other charity type work.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Hey Bikenut, can I borrow $500 in fives please?

I like your idea, but I can't see it catching on.

I think another idea that has the same essence as what you are saying, is to (A) open carry all the time, and (B) make sure that you are a pleasant person all the time when you are out, and (C) put yourself in situations in which your actions show you to be a nice guy. Examples could be volunteering at a soup kitchen, helping out with Meals on Wheels, or other charity type work.
    My wife and I are on modest fixed incomes so maybe it is I who should ask for a loan?

I agree... open carrying all the time while being polite and personable are good ways to quietly put guns, and the carrying thereof, in a good light. But then... paying for a stranger's lunch IS charity work.. one on one personal charity actually.... and is a bold way of putting guns, and those who carry them in plain sight, in a good light.

The responses we receive from those who get the free lunches are always positive.... no one shies away just because I have a pistol in plain sight. And the staff/managers of the businesses where we do this on a regular basis are very happy to see us come in.

We know a $5 lunch isn't going to cause an anti gunner to suddenly be "converted" and we also aren't trying to get people to like us personally nor do we look at it as "buying people's opinions" but more like giving folks something totally different to think about concerning the people who carry guns and it is much more memorable because it happened to them personally.

And I really do wish it would catch on with more open carriers considering doing the "free lunch" thing simply because for some people that free lunch is their first personal interaction with an open carrier and is the basis for a "first impression" of people who actually do carry guns right out there "in your face".

I will join you. Kindness is always worth while, no matter how "dumb" some people think it is.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Don't try to teach a pig to dance. It's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
    - Sigmund Freud -

Quote Originally Posted by TWright View Post
    Don't try to teach a pig to dance. It's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.
    Just so we are all clear, are you the pig in this situation?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast