Was I profled? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Was I profled?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    My story of a "tail":

    In Maryland I was being followed after I picked-up my wife from work (1:30AM), and she knew the guy and car as he was a worker at Sam's club where she worked. A scumbag, she said. I made a several mile maze of turns which he followed, and I finally had enough. Pulled into a completely empty Sears parking lot with him on my tail and performed a perfect power donut which landed me square on his 6:00, still moving.

    I followed this moron for miles and made every turn he did. The predator was now the prey. Probably not a wise thing to do, with adrenaline and testosterone coursing. My wife didn't want to dial 911 on this guy, so I did what I did, until I felt he had enough and peeled-off. She never had another problem out of him at work or with him following her. He asked her who was driving her car later and she said my husband, and he never asks questions first, before he acts.

    I didn't have a carry permit then, in the early '90s. Today, I wouldn't do what I did then, as old age and a permit guide my senses to avoid confrontation.

    I'm not trying to justify my action, as I was just as guilty as he was, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.
    Hehe I had a surplus interceptor that would have been great for maneuvers like that

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Don't you just love tree huggers? Did you ask him if he ate meat at all? They don't grow Big Mac's in a dish.... yet.
    .
    We have issues around here with them from time to time. Little bands of 'Justice for Bambi' vegans and PETA lovers will follow you around the woods and scare off the critters. I've never heard of them getting violent, but your vehicle may not be the same when you get back to it.
    Never had them follow me in the woods...yet. No I just said mmmhhhmmm and ok lol

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So, if the exact same situation happened if you were concealed carrying would you say, "I may have to rethink my CC'ing. If I'm targeted by one , I might have a chance. IF targeted by a gang I'll die with lead flying."? What difference does it make if your gun is hidden or openly carried? How do you know they saw your gun? How do you know the reason they picked you as a target was because they saw your gun? If they were going to target you in spite of the fact that you were armed, how would concealing the firearm help, would they not target you anyway?

    You have no evidence of anything. Maybe you were targeted, maybe not. Maybe they saw your gun, maybe not. Maybe the chose to target you because of your gun, or maybe the presence of the gun just didn't matter to them. You have no evidence of anything specific happening or any reason for anything that might have been happening.

    You may think that this one group targeted you in spite of the fact that you were carrying a gun, but here's a question: how many times have you been passed up as a potential target because of your visible gun? You will never know. But if you have been passed up as a potential target, say 10 times, and targeted only once...isn't that advantageous to you? Of course you will never know how many times the visible gun has deterred a criminal because they aren't exactly going to come up to you and say, "Wow, good thing you are packing heat there, buddy, othewise I would have jumped you!"
    The open carry vs concealed debate will never go away, but I do like the part about how many times has trouble passed you by because your gun was on your hip
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

  5. Quote Originally Posted by unintentionalracist View Post
    I have a similar story to share...last fall I was making a snack stop at wally world on my way to public hunting grounds and I normally OC, so I had my handgun in a hip holster with my BDUs and blaze (because I was going hunting) and thought nothing of it. While checking out, an older gentleman (I use the term just to be polite) behind me kinda pulled on my tags and told me that I was a disgusting person and that it wasn't "sport" to hunt "defenseless" animals. He babbled something about banning hunting and a few things about "legal representation for wildlife" that I ignored...the only things I said to him were "mmmhhmmm" and "okay" as I didn't care and don't make conversation with confrontational morons. I get in my truck and drive about halfway to my spot when I realize that a little car has been behind me for the entire trip. I make a few turns just to show myself that I'm being rediculous and the car follows. I pull into a farm's driveway and the car follows. When I knocked on the door, an older gentleman (for real this time) opened the door and I told him I was being followed and asked him if he would pretend to know me and have someone call 911. I guess the creeper heard me and he took off. I've learned two things, it's good to be armed as I'm sure he may have tried something had I not been, and to keep the backtags off until I'm going into the woods, which was the deputies' suggestion. It had my address on it and my wife and kids were home alone and I had all the guns with me.

    my 2 cents on the matter: you noticed him a heck of a lot quicker than I did and you were able to lose him which means that you were ahead the whole time. Why change what you do just because of one isolated incident? They may not even have noticed that you were carrying and thought you were an easy target.
    You're welcome to your opinion and I'll even let you share it but as soon as you put your hands on me even if it's just to "tug my tags" we're on.
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    [QUOTE=mappow;483391]Might of been my paranoia but felt real to me.
    QUOTE]

    I'm not saying anything other then my feel for the situation. LCDR, I'm not asking for your approval. I have always OC'd and am happy to do it. BUT this incident has realigned my thinking to the possibility of being targeted for a follow up to my home. There is that possibility.
    Bikenut....I have worked in the Armored Car Industry for a few years and understand evasion and control. Not a new concept. BUT this made me extremely concerned by their actions.
    Careful there buddy you're going against the party line. Don't you knw that no one anywhere ever targets anyone because they're openly carrying a firearm.
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by jrs View Post
    I recall reading an article or thread some time ago which discussed a tactic used by gangs and criminals to steal guns. In that article, they would 'mark' cars at gun ranges or clubs, then follow cars into their neighborhoods so they could find out where the gun owners lived. They would cruise the neighborhood and could see by the mark or sticker that went un-noticed by the owner, but now they knew which house has guns. Once the owner leaves the house for work or other activities, they break in and try to steal any guns they can.

    In this case, they saw the gun and may or may not have followed for that purpose. I'm not sure they would have had an armed confrontation....but then again, nobody ever said criminals were smart... but they may have simply seen an opportunity to find out where he lived. And we all know, most gun owners don't have just one gun.

    Good situational awareness!
    A good reason for alarms, secure entry doors and a dog as part of your home defense plan. I've often thought that I could be targeted by being an instructor so I took the precautions to harden the house.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Long story short, I was OC'ing at a local C store I usually frequent after work buying cigs. Two persons of interest got in their vehicle and followed me for the next 4-5 miles. I turned on a side road to see if they would follow and sure as heck they did. My senses went to full alert. Pulling off to a local gas station and watching them go by was a relief. Although they speed away at a full speed past what was posted or actually safe in the area of back roads on NC. I kept watch of all side roads to ensure they would not come up behind me.
    I was truly troubled by the thought that they knew I was packing (OC'ing) and would follow me home. With past training I was able to shake the tail. Might of been my paranoia but felt real to me.
    I may have to rethink my OC'ing. If I'm targeted by one , I might have a chance. IF targeted by a gang I'll die with lead flying.
    -
    Don't really care to die today. Will have to reconsider OC'ing in places.
    Definitely sounds like you raised their interest. Perhaps you were profiled for another reason though. Maybe they didn't even see the gun. For example people are getting shot for their winter coat. Marmot Mammoth?s ?Biggie? coat linked to city shooting violence | New York Post
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  9. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Maybe they didn't even see the gun. For example people are getting shot for their winter coat. Marmot Mammoth?s ?Biggie? coat linked to city shooting violence | New York Post
    Who wants a coat with bullet holes in it?
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    Who wants a coat with bullet holes in it?
    Exactly. I said the same thing when I heard it on the news.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  11. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Exactly. I said the same thing when I heard it on the news.
    It may sound like I'm being a smart ass but really, if the point of the robbery is to get the coat why shoot holes in it or shoot the person in the head and get blood all over the coat?

    You're going to wear it like that?
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast