Wow do we really look like that from the outside? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow do we really look like that from the outside?

1. I open carry quite frequently and I am almost always carrying on our property. I open carry my Citadel 1911 .45 or my .38 special revolver. This is Idaho though and this is an open carry state. I do not need a CCW to carry concealed on my own property either. When going anywhere I usually put the .38 on the dashboard of the pickup. If I hit a deer and it isn't dead, I can call the Sheriffs dept. and they will call Fish & Game to get me permission to put the deer down.

3. Personally, I think open carry will not do much for personal protection. Muggers and thieves will just know who to avoid. It is the concealed carry (like the pain-in-the-rear Illinois law) that will thwart a lot of personal crime. What fool would take a chance that the person he wants to roll just may have a weapon to give him (or her) a third eye?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Sooo... Taking note of the part of your posts I put in bold for emphasis....... when you open carried in Az for more than 20 years... did you open carry for YOUR ego? Inquiring minds want to know.
    That first post was purely about stirrin' it
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

5. Quote Originally Posted by packinken View Post
    Personally, I think open carry will not do much for personal protection. Muggers and thieves will just know who to avoid. It is the concealed carry (like the pain-in-the-rear Illinois law) that will thwart a lot of personal crime. What fool would take a chance that the person he wants to roll just may have a weapon to give him (or her) a third eye?
    I carry a gun for the protection of myself and my family, not general society. Isn't the best success at protecting myself and my family achieved when that the mugger and thief does not attack me to begin with and, instead, they avoid myself and my family? The initial avoidance of an attack is a much better situation for myself and my family than the successful defense against an attack that has happened with the potential of my family being traumatized by the original attack, potentially seeing me killing another person, and the possible resultant legal issues from the situation.

It is certainly true that areas that have greater rates of firearms ownership and greater ability for Joe Citizen to be armed also have the lowest crime rates. But, for my personal protection and the protection of my family - if the mugger and thief just wants to avoid me, that is the greatest success I can achieve.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by CarryNM View Post
    Boy did I piss in some Cheerios. LOL I OCed in Az. for more than 20 years, and never had a problem. Now living in NM. I prefer to CC and must do so i n TX, when going there. I just feel that at 73 yrs old, I have a better chance in the CC mode ass does my wife. Throw out your breakfast and start over. Boy are some of you folks thin skinned. Do as you please, and I don't care. Have a great day folks.
    May I remind you of your own words:
    Quote Originally Posted by CarryNM View Post
    OC is fine if that is what You need for your ego, but it does nothing for me. I would much rather have a CC person at my back than several OC around me. Just the way it is in the country!!
    So, apparently for 20 years by your own words you were previously openly carrying to satisfy some need of your ego?

Ooops...sorry Bikenut, I see you already had the same thought I did....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Sooo... Taking note of the part of your posts I put in bold for emphasis....... when you open carried in Az for more than 20 years... did you open carry for YOUR ego? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

My 2 cents is that we should carry, open, or cc does not matter to me as long as we exercise our right to carry. AR does not currently allow OC unless you are on your own property or hunting so, I OC on my land, and when hunting.

8. It pretty much all has to do with where you live. Out here in the sticks where I live there aren't any muggers. Predators here have 4 legs. Wolves, mountain lions, coyotes and bears. I usually put a loaded pistol on the dashboard of my pickup and the reason for doing so is if a deer runs right in front of the truck but the impact doesn't kill it, I can then put it down. If we lived in a city/town where there was high crime, I would carry concealed because i would also be concerned for safety of myself and my family. I always carry when out riding in the mountains. The Idaho tourist board even strongly recommends that people going into the mountains for hiking even carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Without any attempt to be a jerk let me address that oft repeated and so very misunderstood "element of surprise" thing...

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the bad guy has already chosen his victim and the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

Now... about an OC'er being "targeted" or "shot first" by the bad guys...

OC has been practiced for DECADES in Arizona (just one State out of all the States where open carry is/has been done)... yet the incidents where an OC'er was "targeted" or "shot first" are so rare it is difficult to find any reputable incidents that can be backed up with cites and/or links to put any validity to those claims. If there were any truth to those claims shouldn't it be easy to find actual incidents especially considering there are DECADES!! of open carry to choose from?

I don't care how folks decide to carry but I do care if there is any validity to the reasons folks use to make their decisions... and I personally am very tired of the oft repeated myth of some magical mystical super duper Ninja stealth "element of surprise" making concealed carry better than open carry. And I wish folks would make their decisions based on facts and not oft repeated myths.

Sometimes I wonder if folks hide their fear of "offending", or their fear of "looking different", or their fear of actually having to stand up for the right to bear arms by explaining and/or answering questions, behind the "element of surprise" stupid fish (dum bass) myth.

And yet.... no matter what a person's reasons are for carrying concealed I will fight for your right (not for a "permit" but for the "right"... BIG DIFFERENCE!) to carry concealed.
    I think the key term you used is "attacked." Once attacked the CC'er can be behind the reactionary curve. The time needed to get-out the CC weapon is longer than one openly carried for sure. That could result in a bad outcome. While I'm not so sure about the deterrent factor of OC I am sure that the OC'er will get that gat into play quicker. And once attacked that's important.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Let's not forget in New York (I think it was New York City) they wanted to eliminate law enforcement from describing suspects using any type of physical description involving race or gender because it was racially "profiling" to say that the suspect was a white male.
    Unless we're white. Then they'll say WHITE GUY, 6' tall, blonde hair, blue eyes.
    Can you imagine putting out an amber alert on a child abduction that eliminates racial info? "Suspect is a person, 6' tall, has hair and eyes." I personally think profiling works.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I think the key term you used is "attacked." Once attacked the CC'er can be behind the reactionary curve. The time needed to get-out the CC weapon is longer than one openly carried for sure. That could result in a bad outcome. While I'm not so sure about the deterrent factor of OC I am sure that the OC'er will get that gat into play quicker. And once attacked that's important.
    While all that is true I think (that means the following is merely an opinion worth exactly what was paid for it) there is a different perspective, a different way of thinking, between those who recognize that OC can/could/might prevent an "attack" because the bad guy saw the gun and decided not to attack in the first place and those who CC thinking they are all set to react to an attack after it begins.

With OC the sight of the gun is what might prevent the attack (deter the bad guy from attacking in the first place)... with CC the sight of the gun might stop the attack already in progress.

The CCer is thinking about reacting to an attack while the OCer is thinking about possibly preventing an attack so he doesn't even have to react at all while still having the same ability as the CCer to react if he is attacked.

Now.. I hope no one reading the above starts thinking I said that OC will always prevent an attack because it won't. Attacks on OCers are extremely rare but can happen... but then... while the sight of an OC'd gun may not prevent all attacks but can prevent some attacks the sight of a CC'd gun doesn't do anything until after the attack has begun.

For me personally, if the sight of my OC'd gun "surprises" just one bad guy and causes him to decide not to attack me then if the attack never happened I don't have to suffer all the consequences of dealing with police, or the courts, or the bad guy's family, or lawsuits, and then there is the oft neglected to talk about consequence that bad guys are still people and even if the shooting was necessary there are still emotional consequences to seeing someone squirming, bleeding, and screaming in pain.... or laying there dead... because you shot them. And I don't have to go through any of that because my open carried gun did it's job of protecting me from all of that stuff just by being where the bad guy can be "surprised" to see it.

Also... I hope no one takes what I said to mean I think OC is better than CC... both have their positives and both have their negatives and while both are useful neither is inherently "better" than the other.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast