What caliber fire arm do you open carry,and why? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What caliber fire arm do you open carry,and why?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....f-Defense-Ammo

Anything on this list will perform satisfactorily. The guy who compiled it did some pretty extensive research on the ballistics.
    Reading through his reports in that subforum will give you an education.

I carry 124 grain 9mm Speer Gold Dots. Because I happened to ask Kathy Jackson (cornered cat) "What's in your Glock right now?" and that's what she was carrying
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

3. "What caliber fire arm do you open carry,and why?"

10mm. Because .460 Rowland is too much gun to edc, and because factory .45 Super is loaded too low for the cartridge size, and because .40 S&W can be improved upon a lot by making the cartridge just a little bit longer, and the gun just a little bit heavier and bulkier.

If I were reasonably certain that my first shot would hit CNS, I would carry 22.
    But, I am reasonably certain that my first shot will have reasonable chances of only hitting the periphery of the target, so I need something that will deliver more than ho hum psychological stopping power.

The 10mm cartridge is the largest cartridge that when loaded to efficient pressure, is not too much for the standard duty autoloader.

Glock 29 with 15 round magazine with upper-end Underwood is what I think is the optimal balance between terminal effectiveness on one hand, and ease/comfort of open or concealed carry on the other hand. I do not have license to violate the laws of physics. If I could pay a lot of extra money to get 460 Rowland performance from a gun that is smaller than a G29, I would plunk my money down.

For the sake of variety, and when I have the idea in my head that maybe I won't face the usual possible ambush threat on the street when I go on my daily brisk, hilly walk in my single family residential neighborhood, I occasionally mix it down a bit and OC my 40 Shield 1.0.

So far, so good. 25 months of walking six miles per day equals 4,560 miles and zero minutes of hospital time. Less than 24 hours of legal trouble time.

The only reason why I carry is because when I need to stop a threat immediately, I can potentially stop a threat quickly enough.
    The only reason why I open carry is to save critical draw time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    1911 45 cal. loaded with FORT SCOTT MUNITIONS. Peace of mind.
    Yesterday while playing up in the mountains, I open carried my Sig 220 10mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ROCK Series '70' 1911A1 Officer 45 Cal. loaded with FORT SCOTT Solid Copper Spun (TUI) MUNITIONS. Peace of mind.

What caliber fire arm do you open carry,and why?-2-arm51416fc__58470.1504789119.jpg
    Last edited by Ringo; 07-29-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Addition
    ~ HEAVEN Has A Wall And A Strict Immigration Policy - HELL Has Open Borders ~

Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    "What caliber fire arm do you open carry,and why?"

10mm. Because .460 Rowland is too much gun to edc, and because factory .45 Super is loaded too low for the cartridge size, and because .40 S&W can be improved upon a lot by making the cartridge just a little bit longer, and the gun just a little bit heavier and bulkier.

If I were reasonably certain that my first shot would hit CNS, I would carry 22.
    If only we all were that accurate!

But, I am reasonably certain that my first shot will have reasonable chances of only hitting the periphery of the target...
    Really? How so?

...so I need something that will deliver more than ho hum psychological stopping power.
    I'm fairly certainly that pretty much everything from a .380 ACP to a .44 magnum delivers roughly the same degree of "psychological stopping power" in the form of widely varying but equally alarming sharp reports.

The 10mm cartridge is the largest cartridge that when loaded to efficient pressure, is not too much for the standard duty autoloader.
    What do you mean by "autoloader?"

If you're referring to the firearm itself, then pretty much every semi-automatic firearm from a .22 to a .50 is capable of handling the round it's designed to handle.

If you're referring to the device capable of loading magazines, well, then again, devices are made to fit a range of calibers.

Glock 29 with 15 round magazine with upper-end Underwood is what I think is the optimal balance between terminal effectiveness on one hand, and ease/comfort of open or concealed carry on the other hand. I do not have license to violate the laws of physics. If I could pay a lot of extra money to get 460 Rowland performance from a gun that is smaller than a G29, I would plunk my money down.
    That depends mostly on the shooter. There was a time when I thought nothing of firing my .44 magnum. Then, one day, my wrist ached for a couple of days after the range. Now I'm a fan of 9 mm. I have a friend who can fire a .50 single-handed without blinking. Another, much more diminutive friend, has difficulty firing a 9 mm, so she's opted for a .38 with special loads.

So far, so good. 25 months of walking six miles per day equals 4,560 miles and zero minutes of hospital time. Less than 24 hours of legal trouble time.
    The actual statistical odds of encountering a situation where one might reasonably need to use their firearm is roughly even (50%) in about 37 years. These odds do, however, vary wildly depending on your location and excursion habits.

The only reason why I carry is because when I need to stop a threat immediately, I can potentially stop a threat quickly enough. The only reason why I open carry is to save critical draw time.
    I carry because I'm a bit too old to run. I open carry both for deterrent value and rapid employment. I conceal carry in situations where the threat is low and it's important for me not to alarm others as it tends to disrupt the event I'm attending.
    It is to one's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel (Pro 20:3) // I came here to build Pro-2A consensus to help our country, not trade insults like a fifth-grader. If you're on ignore, well, now you know why.

7. Stepping out my door onto the sidewalk directly adjacent to my residence brought me there again, six mile walk daily, eleven and a half months later, 2,100 miles later, 42,000 blocks later. Medium-large size dog full-bore charged me from residential property directly across the street, I stopped it 12 inches or less from my feet. This time, no arrest. Blood spattered onto my pants leg cuff.

8. Quote Originally Posted by 65nowha View Post
    I have two 1911,A1 45's a .38 special.357 Magnum,but when I do OC,its a M&P 40 Shield. The 1911 A1 45's are just big and heavy, and the 357,i just never carry no reason for not carrying it.
    Caliber is relevant to open carry...how?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGuy View Post
    Caliber is relevant to open carry...how?
    What caliber fire arm do you open carry,and why?-seriously-side-eye-baby-large.jpg
    ~ HEAVEN Has A Wall And A Strict Immigration Policy - HELL Has Open Borders ~

10. I agree caliber is as individual as their choice of firearm and holster , but I carry a Kimber Custom CDP 2 in .45 cal and it is just because it is a gun and caliber I have loved since the days I was in the Army .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567