Location in car

Thread: Location in car

1. Location in car

Indiana Code 35-47-2-1 talks about transporting when not licensed. "(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned,
    leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if
    the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;"

My question is if someone is licensed to carry, could they legally keep a gun placed anywhere in the vehicle and not get into trouble with the law? Some say the carry license only allows us to carry. They think sticking the gun in a holster and securing it to the visor is not allowed in Indiana.

What do you think?

Read www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf for starters.

PS: Whoever "they" are know nothing about the law. Sticking the gun in a holster and securing it to the visor is impractical (politely formulated).

Quote Originally Posted by Seepa View Post
    They think sticking the gun in a holster and securing it to the visor is not allowed in Indiana.

What do you think?

I think you're going to end up getting dinked in the head with your rear sight
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Having just discussed this topic with my son-in-law in Texas, I was informed that if I have a valid, in-force permit ANS have my hand gun in my vehicle, I was carrying it legally. My vehicle is considered the same as my home. I must point out that this situation pertains to the State of Texas; however, I have also discovered that the State of Tennessee also recognizes the same situation. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by David914 View Post
    Having just discussed this topic with my son-in-law in Texas, I was informed that if I have a valid, in-force permit ANS have my hand gun in my vehicle, I was carrying it legally. My vehicle is considered the same as my home. I must point out that this situation pertains to the State of Texas; however, I have also discovered that the State of Tennessee also recognizes the same situation. Any thoughts on this?
    Texas and Tennessee law has nothing to do with Indiana.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. Talked to a local police officer. He directed me to the carry licence which reads "You are hereby licenced by the Indiana State Police to carry on your person or in a vehicle, any lawfully possessed handgun."
    At one time that wasn't the case and the laws in the books haven't been updated to clearly inform.

He also informed me that I am not required to carry my carry licence. So if I get pulled over with a firearm that is visible, I am not required to present my carry licence. Will carry it anyways.

Sent from my LG-K550 using USA Carry mobile app

Ask in the IN thread?