Is open carry smart, depending on location?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is open carry smart, depending on location?

1. Is open carry smart, depending on location?

Hi everyone, hoping to get some knowledgeable advice. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona, and am considering open carry, as I am not yet old enough to conceal carry. Just to get this out of the way, I'll be 18 within the next few months, and plan on taking extensive firearms training and safety courses. I don't want a firearm in order to project myself or appear "tough" or show off. Merely because it is my right, it would make it easier to protect my girlfriend when I am out with her, and because I believe in responsible gun ownership. For those living out of state, Arizona allows 18-21 to open carry without a permit and 21+ to conceal carry.

My question is, for those living in the Phoenix area, will open carry be received well, or am I likely to be harassed by those who don't share our view of guns? I'm well aware that carrying concealed is usually the preferred choice, but that option isn't available to me. Also, I know image plays a large part in how you're perceived; I always have a clean cut appearance and take pride in making a good impression, so looking intimidating or "sketchy" won't be an issue. Thank you to anyone who can provide some insight and help me reach a decision.

Most people won't even notice.

IMHO, it's probably not the best way to go, in public. But I open carry at the property.

In town, I'd rather a lot of people I don't know weren't aware I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by IISevv View Post
    I'm well aware that carrying concealed is usually the preferred choice
    Not for me.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Is open carry smart, depending on location?

Well, no DEPENDING ON LOCATION it's not smart.

Open carry in downtown Denver is not smart. NYC? not a good plan. Scottsdale, no one's really going to care
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Originally Posted by IISevv View Post
    I'm well aware that carrying concealed is usually the preferred choice
    Not for me.
    Concealed carry is not my preferred choice either. Much prefer open carry.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J. C. Watts

8. I live in Mesa. If you are in South Scottsdale, keep your head on a swivel; be situationally very aware to keep from being jumped by someone who targets you just to get your sidearm. In the rest of the area, unless you're carrying an unusually large piece or are very ostentatious most people won't notice or care. A few people (including police officers) might be concerned simply because of the combination of your age and the carry. In some of the shopping centers (malls) you will be asked to disarm, out of consideration for other customers and you then must comply. Better is to not go open carry in those places, because if they have too many requests to disarm they may decide to post the area and prohibit even concealed carry for everyone.
    Bottom line: AZ is a very gun-friendly state. Be discreet, polite, and as you said, maintain a clean-cut appearance and you will have very little trouble - except in those few "progressive" democrat areas, which unfortunately include some areas of Scottsdale and the area around the University in Tempe. When dealing with police officers, they have a legal right to take possession until they break contact with you. Be very respectful and compliant and you will have no trouble. The following link may be helpful: AZ CCW Permit Blog Archive Handgun Carry in Arizona between the age of 18 and 21 years of age.

9. I live in Mesa. If you are in South Scottsdale, keep your head on a swivel; be situationally very aware to keep from being jumped by someone who targets you just to get your sidearm. In the rest of the area, unless you're carrying an unusually large piece or are very ostentatious most people won't notice or care. A few people (including police officers) might be concerned simply because of the combination of your age and the carry. In some of the shopping centers (malls) you will be asked to disarm, out of consideration for other customers and you then must comply. Better is to not go open carry in those places, because if they have too many requests to disarm they may decide to post the area and prohibit even concealed carry for everyone.
    Bottom line: AZ is a very gun-friendly state. Be discreet, polite, and as you said, maintain a clean-cut appearance and you will have very little trouble - except in those few "progressive" democrat areas, which unfortunately include some areas of Scottsdale and the area around the University in Tempe. When dealing with police officers, they have a legal right to take possession until they break contact with you. Be very respectful and compliant and you will have no trouble. The following link may be helpful: AZ CCW Permit Blog Archive Handgun Carry in Arizona between the age of 18 and 21 years of age.

Probably not a good idea. Especially not for a teen.

Wait until you are 21 then go concealed.

11. Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Probably not a good idea. Especially not for a teen.

Wait until you are 21 then go concealed.
    18 year olds don't have a right to self defense?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast