Man open carrying was robbed of his gun - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Man open carrying was robbed of his gun

Do you smell something?

So at 16 JAN...5:30PM Eastern time, TATTEDUPBOY writes the following on this thread:

Let's assume for the sake of argument that this story is true. Finding stories of open carriers having their gun snatched is about as easy as finding stories of cops getting their snatched; try finding either on the Internet. Just because we hardly hear about it does not mean that it's something people don't need to make an effort to prevent.

That being said, that doesn't mean that the overwhelming of open carriers aren't responsible people, because they are, simply by virtue of the fact that they are taking responsibility for their safety into their own hands.
    Then TATTEDUPBOY isn't heard of until he post the following.....

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...4-im-back.html

I'm Back!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you have probably noticed that I have not been on here in almost two weeks. I have been hospitalized since January 17; I got shot in my upper back and lost the use of my right arm. Here is the story as I have it posted on another forum to which I belong:

Hello, everyone. I'm posting this thread to tell everyone about a recent incident that effectively ended my security career.

At approximately 2345 on 16 Jan, I had just left my post at the check cashing store where I was employed. My plan was to head to my apartment, which is located just across the street, check my mail, drop off my newspaper and the tupperware container in which I had brought my lunch, and head back out to my next gig, which is as a bouncer at a nightclub.

Anyway, as I was approaching the entrance to my apartment complex, a guy wearing dark clothing was walking in my direction. As we passed each other, when he got behind me, he turned around and shot me. Even though I was wearing level III body armor underneath my shirt, the bullet hit me right above it, next to my shoulder blade. I fell to the ground in a heap, my right arm (which is my shooging arm), crumpled in a heap next to me. The perp proceeded to disarm me, and since I could not move my right arm (otherwise, I would have returned fire) I had no choice but to show him how to remove my firearm (a Glock 22) from the level III holster in which I was carrying it. After disarming me, the perp ran off; at no point did he ask for my wallet or even attempt to get it himself.

I was able to get right up, and I searched on my duty belt for my cell phone, which I was unable to locate. I was able to gather up my things and get inside and up to my apartment and used the phone in there to call 911. The police arrived first, and the responding officer took me downstairs to wait for the ambulance to arrive. Upon getting down there, I learned that another woman who lived in my building was sitting in her vehicle in the parking lot when the incident happened, and she also called the police. She also located my cell phone and returned it to me when I got downstairs.

I was admitted to the hospital at 0020 on 17 January, where, after a CT scan was done on me, it was determined that I get transferred. I was transferred to the hosptial's southern campus at 0630.

I just got released today. During my 11 day stay, I had the bullet, which was lodged in the front of my neck, removed, and I began physical therapy to regain the use of my right arm. So now begins a rigorous regimen of physical therapy. I'll keep everyone updated.

While I am at times bitter about the end of my career and my independence being taken away from me, I'm just happy to be alive, and happy that the guy didn't hurt me worse than he did.
    What do you all think?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

More about situation awareness than anything, but at the same time the perp shot first, which from what I've seen is somewhat rare.

Just because something is statistically unlikely does not make it impossible.

I also think tatt was in uniform, but correct me if I'm wrong. That might not mean anything either (or maybe that's why the perp shot first and asked questions later.)

Still sucks though. I'm glad for him that he is healing! Just goes to show that you never can tell when/where something may happen to you.
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by {TEX**Hawaii(( View Post
    So at 16 JAN...5:30PM Eastern time, TATTEDUPBOY writes the following on this thread:

Then TATTEDUPBOY isn't heard of until he post the following.....

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gener...4-im-back.html

What do you all think?
    He was a security officer, in uniform, he's the same type of target as the Police are.

I know. I work as a security officer too. Thing is, I nearly had something like this happen to me, many years ago, in Chicago. Difference for me, I was on the job and not on my way home, so my vigilance was a little higher than normal. When a guy passed by me, on the side walk, in front of the store I was working at, I turned around to see where he was going, and instead saw him pulling out a pistol. I pulled out mine and we had a little shoot out.

Ever since then, whenever I'm OCing, whether on the job or not, I ALWAYS turn around when someone passes me to see what they're up to. I should say, when it's night, or there's not many people on the street. Most bad guys don't like to have witnesses. But I still like to peek, if possible to make sure.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 01-31-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added info
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Big Gay Al Wrote:

He was a security officer, in uniform, he's the same type of target as the Police are.

I know. I work as a security officer too. Thing is, I nearly had something like this happen to me, many years ago, in Chicago. Difference for me, I was on the job and not on my way home, so my vigilance was a little higher than normal. When a guy passed by me, on the side walk, in front of the store I was working at, I turned around to see where he was going, and instead saw him pulling out a pistol. I pulled out mine and we had a little shoot out.

Ever since then, whenever I'm OCing, whether on the job or not, I ALWAYS turn around when someone passes me to see what they're up to. I should say, when it's night, or there's not many people on the street. Most bad guys don't like to have witnesses. But I still like to peek, if possible to make sure.
    I am not trying to argue any open carry vrs concealed carry point of view. My point was that Tattedupboy was getting slammed on this thread about the so called dangers of open carry and then a few hours latter he so happens to become a victim of the same type of crime in his argument...almost as to prove a point. The whole thing sounds real fishy and there are many people who have bought it line and sinker. I highly doubt the other thread, I'm Back is thruthful. It's way too ironic, contrived, and the story is full of holes. I call them like I see them.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Here you go, Al!

This would be a boon for the kind of situational awareness issues that you mentioned:

Rearview Sunglasses with Aluminum Case (Unisex)

Only one thing to say about that:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    This would be a boon for the kind of situational awareness issues that you mentioned:

Rearview Sunglasses with Aluminum Case (Unisex)

Only one thing to say about that:
    I actually like that idea. And I agree, is is !!

Quote Originally Posted by {TEX**Hawaii(( View Post

I am not trying to argue any open carry vrs concealed carry point of view. My point was that Tattedupboy was getting slammed on this thread about the so called dangers of open carry and then a few hours latter he so happens to become a victim of the same type of crime in his argument...almost as to prove a point. The whole thing sounds real fishy and there are many people who have bought it line and sinker. I highly doubt the other thread, I'm Back is thruthful. It's way too ironic, contrived, and the story is full of holes. I call them like I see them.
    Well, crap happens, and sometimes, it happens to the wrong people. But unless he starts going on about "see, I told you so" and using what happened to him as an example, I'll with hold my judgment until then.

Big Gay Al Wrote:

Well, crap happens, and sometimes, it happens to the wrong people. But unless he starts going on about "see, I told you so" and using what happened to him as an example, I'll with hold my judgment until then.
    I admire your optimisim and faith in mankind. I could be proven wrong, but I firmly believe I'm Back is an untruthful post aimed to prove a point on this thread. The irony of the circumstances and timing are just too great to ignore. Try to find a news story on line about someone in the state of Indiana being shot on the night of the 16 January or even 17 January. I've checked on Google and multple Indiana Newspaper web sites. You won't find one. Of course that alone doesn't prove anything. However, when you combine the timing of his comments on this thread with the holes in his I'm Back story with the lack of a news story, I say you can draw only one conclusion. If I am proved wrong, I will publicly apologize on this site. However, until then I will continue to say that the I'm Back thread is false and find it troubling that he is drumming up sympathy for it. Again, I call them like I see them.
    -- George Washington

wolfhunter Guest
    Although anything is possible, do you really think Tat would let his Post Count slide for that many days just to make a point?

Wolfhunter Wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although anything is possible, do you really think Tat would let his Post Count slide for that many days just to make a point?
    Now that is funny...but he has such a huge margin that it won't really matter.
    -- George Washington

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast