Man open carrying was robbed of his gun - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Man open carrying was robbed of his gun

Nobody said it would not happen, the question is how much would it happen if people started to OC. Like stated above, even the police get robbed of their guns. I still believe that OCing has it's place, just no in big crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    Nobody said it would not happen, the question is how much would it happen if people started to OC. Like stated above, even the police get robbed of their guns. I still believe that OCing has it's place, just no in big crowds.
    The same is sometimes said of CC as well. In large crowds, it's more likely for someone to brush up against you accidentally, and "feel" you piece. Now, some won't associate that hard feeling with a firearm, and some will. And then there's always pick pockets.

No matter the location, you always need to be aware of your surroundings, and you need to protect your weapon. If I don't feel comfortable carrying concealed somewhere, then I won't feel more comfortable by OCing. And the sames goes for the reverse.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by {TEX**Hawaii(( View Post

I admire your optimism and faith in mankind. I could be proven wrong, but I firmly believe I'm Back is an untruthful post aimed to prove a point on this thread. The irony of the circumstances and timing are just too great to ignore. Try to find a news story on line about someone in the state of Indiana being shot on the night of the 16 January or even 17 January. I've checked on Google and multple Indiana Newspaper web sites. You won't find one. Of course that alone doesn't prove anything. However, when you combine the timing of his comments on this thread with the holes in his I'm Back story with the lack of a news story, I say you can draw only one conclusion. If I am proved wrong, I will publicly apologize on this site. However, until then I will continue to say that the I'm Back thread is false and find it troubling that he is drumming up sympathy for it. Again, I call them like I see them.
    If I can't put some basic faith in my fellow man, why bother at all.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 02-04-2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: emoticons messed up.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Now, some won't associate that hard feeling with a firearm, and some will.
    Dang it, BGA, I thought it was just that you liked me a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Dang it, BGA, I thought it was just that you liked me a lot...
    Shh. Don't tell everyone!!!

BGA Wrote:

If I can't put some basic faith in my fellow man, why bother at all. :)
    When I first read I'm Back I initially had a basic faith that Tatt was telling the truth. That was until I stumbled across this thread which provoked a since of skeptisicm in me that something was not right. I did a little research and discovered what I beleive to be the actual truth of the matter. Maybe Tatt will "recover" soon and be able to post an explaination or even provide some proof to his claims. I stand ready to apoligize should I be wrong in this matter, but I don't think that's what we will find.

And to get us back on topioc, I don't OC. I choose for my carry peice to remain unknown to the general public, but I don't care if one legally OCs where they can. More power to them. It's not a case where I think someone will specifically rob me of my firearm. I just like the element of surprise. It's a fundamental of the offensive mindset.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by {TEX**Hawaii(( View Post
    When I first read I'm Back I initially had a basic faith that Tatt was telling the truth. That was until I stumbled across this thread which provoked a since (sense) of skeptisicm in me that something was not right. I did a little research and discovered what I beleive to be the actual truth of the matter. Maybe Tatt will "recover" soon and be able to post an explaination or even provide some proof to his claims. I stand ready to apoligize should I be wrong in this matter, but I don't think that's what we will find.

And to get us back on topioc, I don't OC. I choose for my carry peice to remain unknown to the general public, but I don't care if one legally OCs where they can. More power to them. It's not a case where I think someone will specifically rob me of my firearm. I just like the element of surprise. It's a fundamental of the offensive mindset.
    First, I'd be interested in what YOU found. I tried searching, and could find nothing, which, maybe a reason for concern, but since stuff like this happens, I'm not too surprised that I could not find any evidence.

I do OC, when practical. Living in Michigan, it's not always practical, what with the weather and all. My winter coat always covers my sidearm, unless I was to use a thigh holster, and that's not really recommended for civilian use. My uniform coat, on the other hand, does not cover my pistol when I'm dressed for work. But that's how it should be.

Regardless, I still think that stories such as was first presented are rare, if they really happen at all. I would not put uniformed security/police being attacked in the same category.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 02-05-2009 at 12:08 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by {TEX**Hawaii(( View Post
    It's not a case where I think someone will specifically rob me of my firearm. I just like the element of surprise. It's a fundamental of the offensive mindset.
    Which is very true, and interesting, considering that we carry for defensive reasons.

NavyLT Wrote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by {TEX**Hawaii((
    It's not a case where I think someone will specifically rob me of my firearm. I just like the element of surprise. It's a fundamental of the offensive mindset.

Which is very true, and interesting, considering that we carry for defensive reasons.
    Yes, I think we can agree that while we all carry for defensive purposes, the second our gun comes out of the holster we will be in the offensive frame of mind. Take the fight to the bad guy as required and within the law.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

11. Open Carry and Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMontana View Post
    . Situational awareness is always important. Checking your six should always be done.

Open carrying takes away the surprise and criminals choose to use more force usually.
    Story Link
    I've been in martial arts for about twenty years, and our greeting starts with "I conceal my treasure." You need the element of surprise. On the other hand, there are situations where you have to open carry. When I first moved to the state which is my current residence, I open carried until my concealed weapons permit came in the mail; in California, it is next to impossible to get a Concealed Weapons Permit, but you can carry openly, if your pistol is empty. What's the advantage of that? It comes down to awareness. If you are aware of your surroundings, you can load before there is danger. And I may occasionally visit border states, like Nevada, but not often enough to get a license, so I open carry there. In general, I'm with you, though.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast