Whipping It Out In Walmart

Thread: Whipping It Out In Walmart

Whipping It Out In Walmart

I ran into a guy open carrying a 1911 in Walmart this morning in a Yaqui Slide holster. I've always questioned holsters that leave that much of your gun exposed so I asked the guy if he had a problem with the barrel getting fouled. He said he didn't or hadn't up to that point then he unholstered to show me that his pistol had an extended barrel .

I've always been taught that open carry or not you don't randomly whip it out in puplic for "Show and Tell". I didn't freak, I didn't express any opinion on his indiscretion and I couldn't have cared less that he was open carrying, I didn't even start a Glock V 1911 argument.

I'm not sure it's really a training issue because I don't remember ever being officially told not to unholster unnecessarily, I kinda figured it out on my own. I also acknowledge that I created the situation by opening my mouth but I still have to ask am I wrong to think that's unacceptable behavior?
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Only a fool goes "show and tell" with a loaded gun.

or

Only a fool open carries an unloaded gun.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Only a fool goes "show and tell" with a loaded gun.

or

He had a magazine in it but I think at best he was in condition 3. I didn't get that close a look but I think he had the hammer down
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Bad scene, not smart.

Walmart, with all those security cameras. "Gun, gun, gun in aisle 10!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    He had a magazine in it but I think at best he was in condition 3. I didn't get that close a look but I think he had the hammer down
    The first rule of gun safety
    1. The gun is always loaded.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

I was instructed to never unholster my gun in public unless the situation called for it, and by "called for it" I mean there was a dire need for self defense. "Show and Tells," to me, show a lack of maturity and training. Some people like the attention open carrying gets them. When you approached him with your question, he may have saw an oppurtunity for more attention and could not resist pulling the gun out to give you a visual, thinking you might be impressed.

The first rule of gun safety
    1. The gun is always loaded.
    You realize your statements contradict one another yes?
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    You realize your statements contradict one another yes?
    No, the first is a gun safety rule, the second is common sense.

Which of these do you not follow?