Tennessee trying to change laws. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee trying to change laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    Look under 2A Area, Disappointing and Fuel for Anti's - should be in top 6-7. Two separate incidents.
    According to the MEDIA the "parking" shooting was unjustified, but the stories percolating from that incident make me wonder. We will see eventually.
    The Avatar is my Great-Great Grandaddy, CPL Samuel Francis Bondurant, Co. D, 4th Alabama, Law's Brigade, Benning's Division, 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia, shot through right thigh 2 JUL 1863.

Very true. So far the onformation is still coming out on these incidents. In the first, there is apparently a question as to whether the victim struck the permit-holder's wife and threatened them. In the second, there appear to be no witnesses so far.

So, at this point we cannot say justified or not, exactly. Public opinion though is being molded over the issues of traffic and parking spots being the flash point of the incidents. Many people will jump on this as reasons to fight the bill allowing carry at local parks and athletic fields. Addiitonally, the bill concerning disclosing the names of individual permit-holders is vividly seen in these two articles. Under trhe new law, the paper would have been fined $2,500 each incident.

The Commercial Appeal has an article on this in the paper this morning (Thursday, 26th).

My posting of this on this thread has nothing to do with justified/unjustified, only the impact of public opinion on the pending legislation. It is also posted over in the 2A area.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    Wonder how our two parking and traffic-related, fatal permit-carrier shootings in the last three weeks will affect the odds on these passing?
    Not at all....the needs of the many still trump the idiocy of the few. Neither event occurred as a result of alcohol, nor were they near any public park.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post
    I can think of a couple of times we both violated that one at lunch, eh Pascal?
    I will neither confirm, nor deny.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

6. Didn't this happen in Memphis? What happens in Memphis REALLY needs to stay in Memphis. I would hope the relatively high crime rate there won't dictate laws for the entire state.

Yes, both instances, within a week of each other, happened in Memphis.

The parking lot incident was in Cordova, an area not exactly known for violent crime. The second, an accident, was in the 'hood.

Just poor timing with regard to PR for the legislation. Germantown is hyping it up a bit (see below link) and I suspect the Cordova shooting is on their minds.

Germantown parks officials want board to reconsider neutral stand on guns
    Germantown parks officials want board to reconsider neutral stand on guns : Germantown Collierville : Memphis Commercial Appeal
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Read Editorials, Letters to the Editor, and Columns from the Memphis Commercial Appeal : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Note the cartoon on the editorial page in the link. I cancelled my subscription today.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

10. I to live near Memphis and am dismayed by the way that the Commercial Appeal reports on things in such a biased way. A local radio station was going to broadcast public info on employees of the paper since the published info on permit holders and the layers filed a seese and desist order. It is ok for them but not for others to do the same. I love the way the newspaper picks and chooses the amendments to follow and how they want to follow them. You go to love a city the keeps re-electing a mayor that has been tied up in corruption and is under investigation now by the feds.

11. Looks like the new laws are going to become law. The Restaurant law is headed for final vote and would become law June first. The public park law is also getting closer and they amended the martial aw rule so that they cannot seize you weapons and ammo if it is legally acquired during times of Martial Rule.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast