2009 National Open Carry Day this year?

View Poll Results: If there is a "National Open Carry Day" for 2009 will you participate?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

137 89.54%
  • No

16 10.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 National Open Carry Day this year?

2009 National Open Carry Day this year?

Is there plans to have one?

What was the amount of participation for last years?

If your state does not allow open carry, will you carry an open empty holster that day?

Edited 3/15/09:

As the original poster of this poll, I also believe that stealth is best. However, I also totally support open carry. I think the non-believers would be astonshied to see how many of their neighbors were gun owners. It might give the people that are afraid to become gun owners (because the media tells them it is wrong and unpopular)the guts to convert.

A cow or a horse, walking around in a rural area is considered no big deal, and an everyday occurrence. But, put that same animal in a suburban or urban setting, and most people will be pointing, taking pictures, and maybe even calling the police. A city policemen that has never seen such a sight might even over react compared to a small town deputy sheriff. My point is, if people become use to seeing something, it becomes familiar and comfortable.

If everyone was to show off there prized possession it would visually show the elected officials that a majority of their constituents were gun owners versus the minority in control of broadcasting, advertising, movies, tv, etc.

It is only for ONE day, I am not suggesting you change you mode of carry for the other 364. A lot of good things could come out of showing what the "silent majority" really wants. Just consider it, please.

P.S. I apologize for not adding "No, but I will open carry an empty holster because my state will not allow open carry" to the poll, and it seems I cannot change it now. If this statement applies to you please answer YES to the poll.

Thanks

wolfhunter Guest
    Open Carry is expressly forbidden under Florida law. I'll carry openly once the law is changed.

I cannot beleive only 4 people have voted on this yet. Who is going to sponser this" 2009 National Open Carry Day"? How many states will agree to this (or change their laws regarding "open carry" for one day)? The good thing about concealed carry is that you don't know who is carrying.

If I wanted people to know I am armed then I wouldn't have got my CCW.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."--Thomas Jefferson

It seems the college crowd is doing something.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus will hold its third national collegiate Empty Holster Protest during the week of April 20-24, 2009. Thousands of college students throughout the United States, organized under the banner of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC), will attend classes wearing empty holsters, in protest of state laws and school policies that stack the odds in favor of dangerous criminals and armed killers by disarming law abiding citizens licensed to carry concealed handguns virtually everywhere else. 

E-mail this to your friends and get the word out.

Sure, as long as the weather is nice and I am not at work. When it it going to be?

Open Carry is legal here so I usually do not worry about it too much anyway. I carry OWB and I do wear a cover garment, but do not worry about it if it does happen to show.

SC does not allow for open carry but I would go empty open holster.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    -- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Quote Originally Posted by jchantelau View Post
    SC does not allow for open carry but I would go empty open holster.
    Me too! Except I'll have one or two concealed...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

10. As much as I prefer not to OC I would do it on open carry day. One day of the year wouldn't bother me too much.
    Glock 26
    Nevada CFP Holder
    NRA Member

I would open carry on any day. Here in Va. it is a righjt to carry state and almost anyone can carry in the open. This was a hell of a big shock to me when I moved here from N.J. where you are restricted from just about everything. In N.J. if you tried to carry in the open you would have every Law Enforcement officer within 10 miles drawing down on you and carting your butt of to jail.

I had a very hard time getting used to the open carry here in Va. and I have now lived here for 15 year's. I have spoke with many LEO'S in the area and they have stated for a fact that the crime rate in our county is attributed to the open carry and the right to carry of our people in the state and our county. Most of the people around here leave their home's unlocked and the key's in their vehicles and their children are safe no matter where they play.
    Bill

P.S. for thoses of you that don't know me, I retired from a large Police Department(450 people) as a Det. Sergeant back in Atlantic City 15 year's ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast