The Open Carry Argument - Page 18
Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

Quote Originally Posted by mjmcg View Post
    I didn't read each and every post in this thread. I instead opted to risk repetition in simply stating the following opinions:
    What people don't know won't hurt them. I don't mean physically hurt, I mean it won't bother them not to know. I believe that openly advertising the fact that you have a handgun by carrying exposed in public opens the door for a whole host of unwanted problems, not the least of which is stupid people who will inevitably stare, or worse yet, comment about it, doing little more than drawing more attention to the fact that some putz is walking around with a John Wayne complex.
    The next thing it does is targets you as someone who has a gun that could potentially be stolen, thereby making it the object of a criminals scheming. The idea that criminals avoid known armed individuals is a misconception. If a criminal doesn't know you have a weapon or not, he's left with a 50/50 gamble and that's what criminals don't like. They like when they know the odds are in their favor, like when you advertise the fact you have a gun and they follow you just waiting for the opportunity to strike and take it.
    I firmly believe, and not to tread on anyone's sense of offense, but the only real reason behind anyone walking about in public openly wearing a handgun is because of the false pretense that EVERYONE around them, criminals included will all of a sudden reel in awe and respect for them and leave them alone because he's got the Dirty Hairy / John Wayne thing going on. Never mind the percentage of people who they possibly terrify with it in the process.
    The only way to own and carry a handgun responsibly is so that nobody has a clue, and be aware of your surroundings. There is always a method for carrying concealed that will allow for a quick presentation to diffuse a situation should the situation call for it. There is no justification in my book other than a heavy case of hero syndrome for carrying openly in public. None.
    I live in NYS where it is mandatory and I'll tell you a little story about what happens when you don't. While hunting one winter with a stainless S&W 629 .44, my buddies and I stopped in at a Mickey D's on our way home to grab a quick sandwich. It was at a location where every skier from NJ to ME happened to be all at the same time. Well, the one time I don't ensure that my coat was over the revolver on my side was the one time it took for the 16 year old girl at the register to happen to see it and asked if I was a police officer. I replied no and wondered what would have given her that idea. She pointed straight at me and loudly said "well I saw that huge gun on your side and just figured you were!" You could have heard a pin drop in that place as every person in there suddenly stopped and all eyes were fixed dead on me for what seemed an eternity as I turned about 9 shades of red with embarrassment as I pulled my coattail over it. I stepped out of the line and said to my buddies, lets get out of here and I left. If you need to ask why, or have some contradicting stance as to why I should have stood my ground then words like privacy, modesty, subtlety, inconspicuous are words you are not familiar with and are the core of the values any gun carrier should abide by, not "Hey look at me I'm a badass with a gun!"

Just one man's opinion, no profession of fact intended or inferred.
    We disagree. It is perfectly responsible for a person to legally carry a gun unconcealed whenever and wherever it is legal. It is an expression of freedom. It can be a political statement. It can be simply a matter of convenience, done by people who don't shy away from responsible people going about their business responsibly.

Criminals are probably going to be MORE afraid of a person carrying a gun, not skulking in the shadows thinking "Wow, a victim open carrying, think I'll get the drop and steal that weapon!" Admittedly, this is a supposition on my part, but search the net,; you won't find many (if any) mention of people being attacked by perps to steal their open carry weapon. I think you are more likely to become a victim if not openly "armed and dangerous".

Regarding the event at MDs, you missed the perfect opportunity to TEACH not only that young girl, but "every person in there" that it is LEGAL to carry your gun. You could have proudly promoted one of our most treasured freedoms, but instead you furtively slinked away without a word. I realize you possibly had to leave to avoid getting arrested (since you can't carry openly under any circumstance in NY), but you could have said something positive and left a positive impression with all those people.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Regarding the event at MDs, you missed the perfect opportunity to TEACH not only that young girl, but "every person in there" that it is LEGAL to carry your gun. You could have proudly promoted one of our most treasured freedoms, but instead you furtively slinked away without a word. I realize you possibly had to leave to avoid getting arrested (since you can't carry openly under any circumstance in NY), but you could have said something positive and left a positive impression with all those people.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmcg View Post
    I turned about 9 shades of red with embarrassment as I pulled my coattail over it. I stepped out of the line and said to my buddies, lets get out of here and I left. If you need to ask why, or have some contradicting stance as to why I should have stood my ground then words like privacy, modesty, subtlety, inconspicuous are words you are not familiar with and are the core of the values any gun carrier should abide by
    Islander... I think he has his weapon and his gun confused in his head.... "This is my weapon, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this if for..."

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Islander... I think he has his weapon and his gun confused in his head.... "This is my weapon, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this if for..."
    Thanks for the perspective.

I don't care if you carry your gun concealed, openly, or duct taped to your forehead. But I won't make such childish blanket statements about a segment of fellow gun owner's and carriers such as, "Having one ying-yang walking around like Bronco Billy" and "some putz is walking around with a John Wayne complex." and "because he's got the Dirty Hairy / John Wayne thing going on" and "Hey look at me I'm a badass with a gun!". Those phrases sound like they came straight from the Brady Bunch and belong on the Brady Bunch's website. They do absolutely NOTHING to help our cause.
    The bold type denotes where your ass is showing, MJMGC. You certainly covered your bases - you stated that there's only one real reason why people OC as if your opinion were factually indisputable. You don't know many people who OC, that's obvious. If you do know many people who OC, you certainly wouldn't be so prejudice, as you'd recognize immediately that most do NOT have "John Wayne" or "I'm a bad-ass" complexes. Of course you're entitled to your opinion and I can tell by your post that you're not about to be swayed... or even accept any arguments to the contrary. Unfortunately I'm still compelled to bring a couple points to the table... even though, to you, they're only coming from a John Wayne/bad-ass/Dirty Harry/yin-yang/putz/hero-wanna-be...

1) You stated: "Never mind the percentage of people who they possibly terrify with it in the process". If anyone's 'terrified' by an average Joe walking around with a holstered pistol, maybe they should seek psychiatric help. I believe that falls under "hoplophobia". It's a phobia, like any other. And I have yet to see anyone's 'terrified' reaction to OC. I see skepticism and curiosity, and of course, the occasional "stink eye" from those who are opposed to firearms carry. I've not even seen a negative reaction to OC in banks, of all places.

2) Location, location, location! Maybe OC isn't as welcome even in "upstate" NY as it is here in Milichigan. Consider that OC may be more commonplace in other parts of the country. That does seem to be a case. Here, it's a rarity for anyone to even bat an eye at it.

3) You also said "The only way to own and carry a handgun responsibly is so that nobody has a clue...". So by that logic, anyone who OC's is an irresponsible handgun owner. That'll piss off a lot of LEOs since they, too, OC. Now is when you chime in and say "they have to", or "but they're trained". Whether they have to or not, they DO carry openly, and they do so while their uniforms and badges make them bigger targets than their guns do. And I'm sure you can't possibly wrap your head around the notion that many civilians recieve training beyond what's required by law. But again, you're not about to be swayed by logic and experience that's not your own, so with that, I'll leave you to your closed-mindedness. Good luck with that.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    3) You also said "The only way to own and carry a handgun responsibly is so that nobody has a clue...". So by that logic, anyone who OC's is an irresponsible handgun owner. That'll piss off a lot of LEOs since they, too, OC. Now is when you chime in and say "they have to", or "but they're trained". Whether they have to or not, they DO carry openly, and they do so while their uniforms and badges make them bigger targets than their guns do. And I'm sure you can't possibly wrap your head around the notion that many civilians recieve training beyond what's required by law. But again, you're not about to be swayed by logic and experience that's not your own, so with that, I'll leave you to your closed-mindedness. Good luck with that.
    Also a lot of hunters OC. I suppose that we should just subscribe to the PETA garbage that says all hunters are irresponsable idiots, because they OC.

7. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Also a lot of hunters OC. I suppose that we should just subscribe to the PETA garbage that says all hunters are irresponsable idiots, because they OC.
    Hey now! I am a member of PETA! I believe there is room on this earth for all of God's creatures.... usually next to the mashed potatoes unless the gravy is going to get in the way.

PETA - People who Eat Tasty Animals...

Oh, that's probably not politically correct. Sorry if I offended you again, mjmcg.

Gotta Lov those tasty animals...........Medium rare, charred with fire and possibly some Bearnaise.

If you see a clean cut, well groomed individual OC'ing. Would not most people assume it probably was a LEO? Not trying to impersonate, but most wouldn't be bother by it.

I do like the Forehead option, LT.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Hey now! I am a member of PETA! I believe there is room on this earth for all of God's creatures.... usually next to the mashed potatoes unless the gravy is going to get in the way.

PETA - People who Eat Tasty Animals...
    Nice reply.

Openly carrying a firearm we all know has its plus's and minus's, I choose not to most of the time, I think Ive only done it once or twice, I just dont like seeing people eyeball me like Ive got some contagious disease. I dont understand how people can be uncomfortable with it though either...Ive yet to see a BG openly carry a firearm.
    Id like to see more people do it, however until then I think Ill let it be some unwelcome suprise for some would be BG
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

ItsTjs, you ever figure they're looking at you in admiration not disgust? Just asking.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast