The Open Carry Argument - Page 19
Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

1. I open carried for about five years AIWB and only had 3 or 4 people notice. A couple of them asked me about it. One older gentleman noticed as he was pumping gas at the next pump over from mine. He looked a little startled and then looked me in the eye and asked politely if it was legal. I told him that it is legal in Arizona. He replied that it would get me thrown in jail in New york. I told him that is one of the reasons I don't live in New York. He smiled and we each went on about our business. I kept my shirt tucked but a little loose so it would drape just a tiny bit over the top edge of my firearm. I believe most people thought it was a cell phone or pager if they saw it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    ItsTjs, you ever figure they're looking at you in admiration not disgust? Just asking.
    NICE!

Recently retired Glen Coffee arrested for having concealed weapon

By Chris Chase

When former San Francisco 49ers running back Glen Coffee(notes) retired from the NFL this summer at the age of 23, he said it was because God told him to leave football and enter the ministry. He didn't mention whether or not he was supposed to accept his higher calling while carrying an automatic pistol.

Coffee was arrested in Florida on Friday morning for carrying a concealed firearm, according to TMZ. Police found the weapon cocked in his center console during a traffic stop.

The former NFL player had been pulled over for speeding in his 2008 Cadillac and was soon discovered to be driving a car without insurance or registration. When police searched the car before it was to be towed, they found the loaded weapon.

Police arrested Coffee and charged him with a third-degree felony, which is punishable in Florida by up to five years in jail. The arrest came in Coffee's hometown of Ft. Walton Beach.

------------------
    My Comment, I used to carry concealed in my car in Louisiana and Georgia just like he did
    without a permit. Now I have a permit. Those Florida folks see it as a serious crime dont they !

We can carry either way. Lots in our state do both! I prefer to carry consealed! But if its imprinting some oh well! I'm to small to hide it any better & I don't like it in my purse unless I real real have no choice! Hubby just trys to keep it somewhat covered while were out! If he chooses to carry open I've not a problem with that at all!
    To each their own,we do whats best & comfortable given where you live. It is a personal choice to make,,,

6. Hollie, why is against the law to carry it in a console? I thought that was where it was supposed to be placed when traveling.

GOV5 > First, notice that HOLLIE1 wasn't the one who posted the story about the football player arrested in FLA. You're askin the wrong person. And I'm not familiar with Florida's concealed/vehicular firearms laws so I can't chime in on that one.

HOLLIE1> hats off to ya for carrying and for being open-minded as per your hubby's method(s) of carry. I did want to note that I, too, would only recommend "purse carry" if there were no other option for having it on your person. I think nearly every firearms instructor would persuade you not to, and for reasons that I'm sure you already know. But, like you, I'll carry in an unconventional manner if that's what I have to do. To me, it's still better than not having it at all. Carry on!

ITSTJS> If getting the stink-eye from the majority of people was the most prominent reaction to OC, I might reconsider, myself. But the truth (here) is that the most common reaction is actually a LACK of reaction. An almost unbelievable percentage of people don't even notice an OC'd firearm. And this is even with a 4-inch stainless Springfield XD carried in an OWB, Blackhawk! holster! That holster leaves a lot of the gun exposed, and the stainless finish isn't the most subtle, either. I think that the majority of those people who DO notice it, assume you're an off-duty LEO or are in some type of security position. I've had to tell folks on more than a handful of occasions that I'm not an LEO. Now, of those who do notice, AND know I'm not an LEO, the reaction has been largely a very acceptable one. Sometimes it sparks curiosity and I'm always happy to explain the laws and rights that pertain to carry. So, in conclusion, here in Milichigan, it's pretty widely accepted and sometimes even encouraged.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Hollie, why is against the law to carry it in a console? I thought that was where it was supposed to be placed when traveling.
    According to the videos I've watched and the instructors I've spoken to, the best place to carry your firearm while in a vehicle is still ON YOUR PERSON. I don't know if there are laws in some states that don't allow for that option, but if you can legally keep it ON YOU while in a vehicle, that's what's highly recommended. Just a note.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Gotta Lov those tasty animals...........Medium rare, charred with fire and possibly some Bearnaise.
    Bearnaise? NO WAY! A-1
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Hollie, why is against the law to carry it in a console? I thought that was where it was supposed to be placed when traveling.
    I live in Florida so I can help a little. If he did not have a permit, it would be concidered carrying a concealed weapon without a permit. With a permit, loaded and in the console is fine if your console closes. or if you covered it with something in a non-locked console. Also would need to be securely encased without a permit (Two Step Rule) or not readilly accessible for immediate use. The latter means there could be a locked trigger or the ammo stored in a place in the vehicle where you'd have to work at getting it. IE a locked trunk or a locked box in the passenger compartment not where the gun is. In the case of my pickup, he could have had the empty gun in the glovebox and the ammo in the locked center console and been fine.

As for the original post, I'd like to see Florida get Open carry passed. Not because I would want to all the time but because it would add another deterent to crime. Now a crook only has to worry about someone carrying concealed. With Open Carry as an option, they'd have to worry about those who OC, those who CC, and those who might do both.

advice from Massad Ayoob

The Ayoob Files (March/April 2011 Massad Ayoob)
    www.americnhandgunner.com

“The good person carrying a handgun, particularly if they are wearing it in plain sight, always has to worry about a violent criminal attempting to disarm them and murder them or others with their own weapon. For many years, an average of one out of five police officer murdered in the line of duty nationwide, were killed with weapons snatched from themselves or their partners.” That number was cut in half by good officer survival practices; 1) snatch-resistant holsters, 2) semi-autos carried with an external safety in the on position, 3) concealable soft body armor.
    “As time went on, the KISS principle took hold in American police training. The KISS principle held that thumbing off a safety when the officer had to draw and fire his own weapon in self-defense was an additional movement that might take too long or even be forgotten.” Retention holsters had been improved and training was modified to make officers more aware of the need to protect their firearm.
    “The fact remains the on-safe pistol was a proven life-saver in these situations. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department were mandated to carry their pistols, (mostly Berettas), on-safe,” instructors told Ayoob they lost count of the number of incidents in which disarmed deputies were saved by “the little lever”.

Openly wearing a handgun may discourage certain elements or the community but it makes you the primary target for those with violent intent or those who decide they want to acquire your handgun. Your exposed handgun marks you as a danger that needs to be eliminated like a uniformed police officer.
    So Ayoob recommeds anyone who practices open carry have a handgun with an external manual safety and use a retention holster.
    I live in MN, anyone not in uniform who open carrys sticks out like a sore thumb. In public you can expect to get in trouble within an hour. Open carry is viewed as brandishing in most instances. If open carry was an accepted method of carry in my state I would be likely carry either way. The circumstance would dictate the method. I only own one semi-auto with an external safety and it's not one of my go to carry pistols. I have two retention holsters, neither fits the handgun with the external, manual safety.

Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast