The Open Carry Argument - Page 2
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

Quote Originally Posted by Comp_sH00tEr24 View Post
    Although it is a relatively conservative school I am not going to take the chance of walking into Panera with my g23 visible to the masses of sorority girls and liberal professors who are completely ignorant of the law.
    That alone would be reason enough for me to open carry around them. Some of the points of me open carrying is to make people aware that it is: a) legal, b) a right, and c) not really an issue.

I think the most likely thing that will happen is someone will scream "HE'S GOT A GUN!!!" and everyone will run out of the place and 15 minutes later Ill be on my stomach with 4 officers around me guns drawn screaming orders at me.
    I'd still be OK with that, but that's me. There would be a precedent set when I show up the very next day, doing the exact same thing, and the cops don't come bother me because they've been told not to out of fear of a reprisal lawsuit.

I am just not willing to take that chance until I live in a more "gun-friendly" neighborhood.
    Can't really blame you. Most people have an aversion to negative run-ins with police. I personally don't care, since I know it's legal and am very, very well versed in the laws regarding guns and what I have to and don't have to do when dealing with police. Anyone interested in open carrying a firearm should know the law inside and out before going, since we still unfortunately live in a gun-hostile environment.

I agree with the majority of what everyone's posting here, but for me, personally, I just avoid the hassle of open carry. When I have the right (or maybe priveledge) of concealed carry, I choose to excersize it. Like most here, I HOPE TO GOD I never had to use my weapon to take another life in self defense, but I'm willing to do so if it means self preservation. Both points are vaild, and I won't even bother arguing either one, since it's ultimately up to personal preference. Whether you legally open carry or leagally conceal carry, thank you for doing it...

Exactly Spuds. OC vs. CC is really a personal issue. Either way is correct, provided it is legal.

I choose OC to make a somewhat political point about rights, but not everyone is in the same boat as me.

There are those of us such as myself who, in evaluating the risks and benefits of each mode of carry, choose to carry concealed because we want to be totally anonymous. Say what you will, but open carry, especially in densely populated urban areas, is more likely to draw unwanted attention to someone than concealed carry is. I don't want to draw unwanted attention to myself and I don't want anyone to know that I'm armed, and that's why in my carrying days (see my thread titled I'm back for why) I only carried concealed.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I can understand why you would carry concealed, as you don't want to be noticed.

When I open carry, I usually do so with a weapon without one in the chamber. For me, open carry is about the expression of my rights more than defense. When I do this, I also carry a fully concealed and fully loaded weapon as a backup. The best of both worlds of sorts.

I figure the extra attention I get from open carrying is worth the push. Most people have a negative view toward guns instead of the reality: it's a tool that can be used for both good and bad purposes. I prefer to let people know that the practice is perfectly legal and safe, and responsible gun owners are not the bad guys.

But it comes down to personal preference. Every single one of us has to choose what's best for them. Neither way is wrong, unless of course you carry for show and are reckless with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    There are those of us such as myself who, in evaluating the risks and benefits of each mode of carry, choose to carry concealed because we want to be totally anonymous. Say what you will, but open carry, especially in densely populated urban areas, is more likely to draw unwanted attention to someone than concealed carry is. I don't want to draw unwanted attention to myself and I don't want anyone to know that I'm armed, and that's why in my carrying days (see my thread titled I'm back for why) I only carried concealed.
    You are right. I think everyone should check out that thread.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Whether oc or cc I think it is the mindset that counts. Check out the Target Focus Training site for really good information on mindset.

Just my 2 penny's worth.

J

I've updated the It Will Get Stolen paragraph (in the original post) to add an argument against the notion that police officers are targeted for their firearms. The theory being that if police officers are targeted by criminals looking for a gun to steal, we will be as well. Like the other anti-open carry arguments, it sounds good at first blush, but doesn’t hold any weight in real life.

10. Mainsail, this is a great article. A cross-link to it over on CalGuns brought me here, and your post made me want to join this forum.

May I have permission to republish it on CaliforniaOpenCarry.org? For now, I will just link to this thread on this forum, but in the event that this thread ever vanishes from the net, I'd like to have a backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
    ... but in the event that this thread ever vanishes from the net, I'd like to have a backup plan.
    I don't think you have to worry about that. This is a pretty well established, well maintained site.

BTW, Welcome to it!
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast