The Open Carry Argument - Page 33
Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

Irregardless of the above multiple paragraphs, here is what many of us do in SC. In our state it is legal to open carry if going to/from hunting, fishing, or an organized shooting event. When I am doing any of those, I will often open carry. In that case, I am dressed either as a hunter, or in temperature-appropriate clothing for fishing or outdoor shooting. I don't make any points about trying to talk to people about open carry. I just do whatever I would normally do, business as usual. I've never had anyone ask me about the weapon. A few friends who do this have been asked about it and do their best to explain the law. ONE time I heard about a friend at a boat landing who had a man tell him he was disturbed by him carrying openly. My buddy explained the law, and the small crowd that gathered was on his side. The complainer wasn't from here and didn't actually appear to be frightened. My buddy thinks he was just gunshy and wanted to cause trouble. In any case, my buddy made it a learning experience.

I am certain I look like a "redneck" when I'm on my way hunting or fishing and a yuppie when I'm going shooting. Hasn't made a difference as far as I can tell. My point is that open carry in this context has served as an education tool as well as a desensitizing tool that I have employed for over 30 years.
    Islander's Law: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation

3. You do it your way, and I'll do it my way. Whether or not it is written in the law, it is implied that you let the officer know you are carrying. And why else would you need to show your permit, IF, you are not carrying and had no gun in the car? Besides, when the officer sees that gun permit, one of the first questions he's going to ask is ""Are you carrying now?" or "Where is the gun?" . Just makes sense to tell the LEO right off the bat.

Oh, and don't post anymore statements saying "in S.C. we....." or "most of us in S,C,..." . I am in S.C. too and don't live too far from you(less than 3 miles), and I can definitely say that YOU aren't the spokesman for South Carolinian Gun owners. And we DON'T walk around with guns on our hips to go shooting, if we are getting out of the vehicle...YOU MAY, but then again, that's exactly what I'd expect of you. That act only invites unwanted attention from citizens and LEO's. We are NOT an OPEN CARRY State...so it is VERY STRANGE to see someone walking around with a firearm on their hip, with no ID that says "police".

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    You do it your way, and I'll do it my way. Whether or not it is written in the law, it is implied that you let the officer know you are carrying. And why else would you need to show your permit, IF, you are not carrying and had no gun in the car? Besides, when the officer sees that gun permit, one of the first questions he's going to ask is ""Are you carrying now?" or "Where is the gun?" . Just makes sense to tell the LEO right off the bat.

Oh, and don't post anymore statements saying "in S.C. we....." or "most of us in S,C,..." . I am in S.C. too and don't live too far from you(less than 3 miles), and I can definitely say that YOU aren't the spokesman for South Carolinian Gun owners. And we DON'T walk around with guns on our hips to go shooting, if we are getting out of the vehicle...YOU MAY, but then again, that's exactly what I'd expect of you. That act only invites unwanted attention from citizens and LEO's. We are NOT an OPEN CARRY State...so it is VERY STRANGE to see someone walking around with a firearm on their hip, with no ID that says "police".
    In Michigan, our law reads that we must inform LEOs if we are stopped, AND if we are packing. If we are not packing, there is no duty for us to inform. However, I've seen some minor horror stories of people who were stopped, were not packing, yet the LEO yelled and berated them for NOT telling him about their "gun" that they didn't have when he ran their license, and it came up with info saying they have a CPL.

I have advised friends of mine, if stopped, their best course of action, if they don't have a firearm but do have a CPL is to advise the officer, that yes, they have a CPL, but are not currently armed. It might save them a minor drama scene at the traffic stop.

Myself, I get around that situation by ALWAYS packing. So I always hand over my CPL along with my driving license, registration and proof of insurance, whenever I'm stopped.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5:248920
    You do it your way, and I'll do it my way. Whether or not it is written in the law, it is implied that you let the officer know you are carrying.
    That's an interesting statement. How do you know what's implied? what other rights have an implied meaning they forgot to mention?

My state has no duty to inform. That means I do not have to inform, and will not unless voluntarily deciding to. No other implied meanings.

Aren't reasonable restrictions on certain types of firearms based off implied usage? It's not law anymore, but it's implied no one needs anything semi automatic, that looks like a military gun, or has more than a 10 round capacity. why? Well, of course... it's implied that those gun owners are just mass murders waiting to happen. So while it's not law, it's implied they shouldn't be allowed to sell them. *sarcasm* Implied = opinion = infringement.

6. Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Besides, when the officer sees that gun permit, one of the first questions he's going to ask is ""Are you carrying now?" or "Where is the gun?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    However, I've seen some minor horror stories of people who were stopped, were not packing, yet the LEO yelled and berated them for NOT telling him about their "gun" that they didn't have when he ran their license, and it came up with info saying they have a CPL.
    This is something that I don't understnad. Why is there MORE concern about a gun once the officer finds out about a carry permit/license regardless of how they find out about the carry permit/license? I would think the rataional reacion by a police officer would be that his concern about a gun being present after he finds out about a CPL should go to next to zero. The gun is 99% insured to be legally carried by the CPL. The person possessing the CPL has voluntarily submitted to and more than likely paid for a background check on themselves. I just don't understand this reaction...
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    This is something that I don't understnad. Why is there MORE concern about a gun once the officer finds out about a carry permit/license regardless of how they find out about the carry permit/license? I would think the rataional reacion by a police officer would be that his concern about a gun being present after he finds out about a CPL should go to next to zero. The gun is 99% insured to be legally carried by the CPL. The person possessing the CPL has voluntarily submitted to and more than likely paid for a background check on themselves. I just don't understand this reaction...
    I would have to agree with this. During my last traffic stop the LEO asked if I had any guns, drugs or nukes in the car. I told him I was armed. He asked for the permit. He looked at it and threw it back to me and then advised me the purpose of the stop was a burned-out brake light. He wanted to make sure I knew before someone rear-ended me. He was friendly and had no concern over where the gun even was. I wasn't ticketed.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I can't believe you guys have been running this thread for almost two years. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    You know what a redneck is as well as I do. And about the bet...you'd lose.
    I'm not sure who first used the term "redneck" on this thread? But the term "redneck" was first used during the Battle of Blair Mountain, W.Va. where coal minor's were fighting the Coal Co. to Unionize. Union men gathered from Charleston, W.Va., marched down, and met up with the coal minors in Matewan, W.Va. They all brought red handkerchiefs, and tied them around their necks to guard against friendly fire, during the gun battle which occured at Blair Mtn. This is the first time the term redneck was used.

Is that close enough?

Safety. Thats it? They deal with all kinds of criminal elements while on duty. All they're asking of us, is to inform them if we "are" armed. Before the LEO even approaches our vehicle; he knows we are CPL. In Ohio, it is the armed citizen's duty to inform to the LEO if we "are" indeed armed at the first opportunity. It is advised by CPL instructors to inform them whether your armed or not. I don't agree with this. I inform if I'm armed only. Otherwise, if that officer feels so inclined to ask if there are any weapons in the vehicle, I can ask him why he's asking? Why? Because he already knows I'm CPL. If I haven't informed him that I'm not carrying, then I've not broken any laws have I? At this point, LE asking me if there are any weapons in the vehicle, is like me asking him if he has a K-9 dog with him? Just because it says K-9 on the car, doesn't mean he has the dog? And he probably doesn't have to tell me if he does or not? Duty to inform is for safety only. Why they react the way they do sometimes is a mystery to me too? If they are as well versed in the law as most of them claim to be, then we wouldn't have all the issues of open carry that we do.

I don't get it either. But since they can find out you have a CPL by running your driving license, I do't get why I have to tell them. Seems to me like it's one more way to jack up Joe Civilian, if they are inclined to do so.

It's funny when I go through Indiana, if I'm ever stopped, out of habit, I hand over my CPL, and tell the officer I'm armed. More than one has informed me that I don't need to inform in Indiana, but they thanked me for letting them know, regardless. I've yet to receive a traffic citation since I got my CPL, in spite of the fact that I deserved one several times.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast