The Open Carry Argument - Page 38
Page 38 of 62 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 612

Thread: The Open Carry Argument

  1. #371
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vickery, (Whites Landing) Ohio
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    In OH and other states that require informing, you're sorta screwed. Not us in AL. It's up to us to decide. Some choose to tell all, some choose not to. I'm in the "choose not to" camp. My life and my safety are just as important as any other human being, including LEO's - why should they be treated special?

    Furthermore, I'll start worrying about making a cop feel "comfortable" about my firearm when cops start dismantling the "thin blue line" - Harless should have been fired due to another cop, not a youtube video.
    In a perfect world I too would be in the "choose not to" camp as well. And I don't think my life is any more or less important than LE, or anyone else? I don't think by notifying them if I'm carrying a firearm during a traffic stop is a big enough deal to get excited about. That's just me. I know he's got a job to do, and I just wanna get the traffic stop over as quickly and painlessly as possible.

    I still believe in the idea of picking and choosing my battles. Notifying a LEO that I'm CC during a traffic stop isn't that big of a deal to me. And since I'm a law-abiding citizen, why should I be, or feel offended by having to do so? I don't consider this "special treatment". I just think its being honest, and safe to all parties involved.
    "Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well, I've come to give you either one. Or get either one from you." Josie Wales

  2.   
  3. #372
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vickery, (Whites Landing) Ohio
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    In OH and other states that require informing, you're sorta screwed. Not us in AL. It's up to us to decide. Some choose to tell all, some choose not to. I'm in the "choose not to" camp. My life and my safety are just as important as any other human being, including LEO's - why should they be treated special?

    Furthermore, I'll start worrying about making a cop feel "comfortable" about my firearm when cops start dismantling the "thin blue line" - Harless should have been fired due to another cop, not a youtube video.
    As far as the "Harless" incident goes....he has had a history of making poor decisions under stress. His actions were disgraceful, and he made himself famous on youtube, but more importantly, the video can now be used to train other police in the "do's and don'ts of handling similar stops in the future. Harless was more concerned with looking like the "victim cop", then he was with handling the situation politely and professionally. I'm glad the guy didn't get shot by Harless. And his threats against him were in "my opinion"...criminal. And I say, "thank God for that video"!
    "Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well, I've come to give you either one. Or get either one from you." Josie Wales

  4. I think they run the license AFTER they stop you, not before. They usually don't have time to run the plate while they are in pursuit of stopping a vehicle. That's the reason you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops. They don't know what they got until they run the drivers license. The plate doesn't link to the crime computer, the drivers license does. The plate just shows who owns the car.

    If your DL says one thing, and the plated says another, expect some time in the back of the squad car. LOL!

  5. Quote Originally Posted by ESD View Post
    As far as the "Harless" incident goes....he has had a history of making poor decisions under stress. His actions were disgraceful, and he made himself famous on youtube, but more importantly, the video can now be used to train other police in the "do's and don'ts of handling similar stops in the future. Harless was more concerned with looking like the "victim cop", then he was with handling the situation politely and professionally. I'm glad the guy didn't get shot by Harless. And his threats against him were in "my opinion"...criminal. And I say, "thank God for that video"!
    All true, but I hope you're not missing my point: His behaviour was well known inside that department - he had several other incidents, the youtube video wasn't the first. My point was that he should have been fired long ago due to the actions of his own department, not just because a video got out on the internet.

    And I agree with your previous comments: I have no problem with people making their own decisions on informing an officer or not. I only disagree with being forced to do it.

    Thanks,

  6. Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    If your DL says one thing, and the plated says another, expect some time in the back of the squad car. LOL!
    And why is that? There are plenty of legitimate reasons for the driver's name not to match the registered owner's name. And heck, it says right on my vehicle registration, "Not proof of ownership."

    Borrowed the car. Couples living together, not married. Child driving a step-parent's vehicle with different last names. Recently purchased in a private sale. Married woman driving a parent's car.

    Give me a break. Like I said earlier, is the GOV in your screen name short for government? It sure seems as if you like to come up with any excuse to justify illegal detainment of citizens by police.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  7. #376
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vickery, (Whites Landing) Ohio
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    I think they run the license AFTER they stop you, not before. They usually don't have time to run the plate while they are in pursuit of stopping a vehicle. That's the reason you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops. They don't know what they got until they run the drivers license. The plate doesn't link to the crime computer, the drivers license does. The plate just shows who owns the car.

    If your DL says one thing, and the plated says another, expect some time in the back of the squad car. LOL!
    Actually, your license plate is run as soon as he/she has you pulled over. Not when you are being pursued? And it is the LICENSE PLATE that tells the officer if that vehicle is registered to a CHL. That is what the Sheriff's Dept. told me when I picked up my CHL the first time. After he/she has observed your DL or CHL, he may still run your information to check on wants and warrants. And probably will to see what kind of driving record you have as well. Just because you have a CHL, doesn't mean you didn't just commit some other crime recently? What I mean is...just because they know your a CHL by running your license plate, and by viewing your CHL, doesn't mean you didn't just beat your wife that day, or commit any other crime that would disqualify you from being a legally armed citizen any longer?

    So by running your plate, and then your DL, and or your CHL; LE can check and double check any information that has to do with you, and your vehicle?

    YOU SAID, "That's the reason you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops. They don't know what they got until they run the drivers license." I'm sorry, but I don't believe this to be the case at all? The reason, I believe you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops, is because they are dealing with criminals, not law abiding citizens? And it doesn't matter at that point whether they run the drivers license or not, does it?

    Too many scenarios can be debated at a traffic stop. I'm certainly not going to entertain the idea. I just wanted to share with you that YES in OHIO they know you are CHL when they run your plate. They already have your name, address, etc... That's just the plate. Then they may ask to see your DL, registration, maybe even your CHL?
    "Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well, I've come to give you either one. Or get either one from you." Josie Wales

  8. #377
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vickery, (Whites Landing) Ohio
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    All true, but I hope you're not missing my point: His behaviour was well known inside that department - he had several other incidents, the youtube video wasn't the first. My point was that he should have been fired long ago due to the actions of his own department, not just because a video got out on the internet.

    And I agree with your previous comments: I have no problem with people making their own decisions on informing an officer or not. I only disagree with being forced to do it.

    Thanks,
    No, I absolutely got your point. And you know as well as I do, that they all knew he was one episode away from possibly hurting or killing someone? But the code of ethics often gets overlooked in LE depts.
    "Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well, I've come to give you either one. Or get either one from you." Josie Wales

  9. Quote Originally Posted by ESD View Post
    Actually, your license plate is run as soon as he/she has you pulled over. Not when you are being pursued? And it is the LICENSE PLATE that tells the officer if that vehicle is registered to a CHL. That is what the Sheriff's Dept. told me when I picked up my CHL the first time. After he/she has observed your DL or CHL, he may still run your information to check on wants and warrants. And probably will to see what kind of driving record you have as well. Just because you have a CHL, doesn't mean you didn't just commit some other crime recently? What I mean is...just because they know your a CHL by running your license plate, and by viewing your CHL, doesn't mean you didn't just beat your wife that day, or commit any other crime that would disqualify you from being a legally armed citizen any longer?

    So by running your plate, and then your DL, and or your CHL; LE can check and double check any information that has to do with you, and your vehicle?

    YOU SAID, "That's the reason you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops. They don't know what they got until they run the drivers license." I'm sorry, but I don't believe this to be the case at all? The reason, I believe you see stories of officers getting in fights and sometimes shot at traffic stops, is because they are dealing with criminals, not law abiding citizens? And it doesn't matter at that point whether they run the drivers license or not, does it?

    Too many scenarios can be debated at a traffic stop. I'm certainly not going to entertain the idea. I just wanted to share with you that YES in OHIO they know you are CHL when they run your plate. They already have your name, address, etc... That's just the plate. Then they may ask to see your DL, registration, maybe even your CHL?
    I agree with you, and it is what I said...the license plate is run AFTER you are pulled over. If the sheriff told you in ohio the plate tells them you are a cwp holder, the that is how it's done in OHIO.

    As for what I said about cops getting shot at traffic stops because they didn't know what they had until they ran the DL, you seem to be a bit confused. You said they get shot by criminals, not CWP holders. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you are a CWP holder, that doesn't mean you will not shoot the cop for something. CWP holders HAVE been known to commit crimes.

    You seem to just want to argue and do the childish one-up thing, just like your buddy Navy LCDR, who I think needs to start taking his meds again.

  10. Have you quit taking your meds again? You seem to have a argumentative character about you. My State requires CWP holders to inform the officer we are carrying. Unlike you, I don't have a problem with that. And unlike you, I don't think it is an affront to me rights. In my opinion, only some lower educated conspiracy theorist nuts would think informing is the "GOVT" trying to get one over on you. SHEESH! Give ME a break!!

  11. Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Have you quit taking your meds again? You seem to have a argumentative character about you. My State requires CWP holders to inform the officer we are carrying. Unlike you, I don't have a problem with that. And unlike you, I don't think it is an affront to me rights. In my opinion, only some lower educated conspiracy theorist nuts would think informing is the "GOVT" trying to get one over on you. SHEESH! Give ME a break!!
    A long long time ago I learned to stop digging when I find myself in a hole.

    In your case, you need to stop cranking up the power shovel....

    No offense.

Page 38 of 62 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast